The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Holset Turbos, PART 9

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have HKS 272s, JMF race SMIM, +1 valves and a ported head.

I don't feel like I gained very much at 36-37 switching to T3 over the bolt-on housing.

Maybe I'll hook up my MAP sensor to my exhaust this weekend and log the exhaust pressure for the hell of it. I have a 4 bar, so I can only log up to 44psi. I guess if I peg it, then I will drop down the boost. I'm sure I can drop the pressure and make a linear graph backwards to my WG pressure and extrapolate up to the 37 psi I'm running, assuming its somewhat linear.

Did you port the stock housing by any chance? The flanges that most people build exhaust manifolds with (CNC machined) do not usually match the flange on the stock housing (cast).

Example..
Turbo gasket lined up on manifold flange:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Turbo gasket lined up on stock housing (unported):

Is porting the opening on the housing to the same size as the gasket/manifold going to hurt or help spool? Wouldn't it cause some back pressure or turbulence if it wasn't ported, and thus causing it to spool and flow less?

Wasn't sure where to post this, since I've replied in a few Holset threads about this lately. I got the BEP T3 .70 A/R 3" Vband turbine housing today and started tearing everything apart. Its definitely a decent amount larger than the .63 A/R Garrett housing.

I have to fab the O2 housing tomorrow. Its gonna be a sharp turn past the alternator and oil filter! I have to replace the leaking flex section on my DP and cut off the 2.5" flange and switch it over to 3"anyway. I should be able to modify the DP to come farther forward toward the crossmember to help clear oil filter. It sticks out farther than the Alt anyway...

Kind of a PITA to take pics with a tape measure that weren't deceiving. Basically the .70 housing is 7" across and 6.25" "tall". The .63 housing is 6" across and 5 7/8" "tall" The Vband outlet is 3" and the 4 bolt outlet on the .63 is 2 7/16"

There is barely 1/16" clearance at the block with the Tubonetics exh mani and 1/2" spacer. I already took a grinder to the block slightly in an attempt to clear the .63 without the 1/2" spacer. I'm sure the .70 housing would hit a virgin block.

I hope to have results within a week, and a trip to the track on Nov 4! I hope that it is worth the effort and the result is better high rpm boost/more airflow and not just a few hundred rpms of lag :pray:

Attachments

• photo 3.PNG
    photo 3.PNG
    92 KB · Views: 104
  • photo 5.PNG
    photo 5.PNG
    137.5 KB · Views: 119
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 113
  • photo 1.PNG
    photo 1.PNG
    101.4 KB · Views: 101
  • photo 2.PNG
    photo 2.PNG
    90.1 KB · Views: 106
  • photo 4.PNG
    photo 4.PNG
    97.5 KB · Views: 103
Did you port the stock housing by any chance? The flanges that most people build exhaust manifolds with (CNC machined) do not usually match the flange on the stock housing (cast).

Example..
Turbo gasket lined up on manifold flange:

Turbo gasket lined up on stock housing (unported):
Looks like i'll be doing some porting then, my punishment mani is here tomorrow, and im going to be running the stock 12cm nonwastegated housing as well. Is there any variation among the gaskets? I really havent messed around with t3 that much so im going to plead ignorance. I cant help but think an authentic holset metal gasket should line up perfectly with the holset hotside? At least i know what im going to be dealing with, glad someone else is running the same setup. I also had a question for you, check your PM's. :thumb:

I cant help but think an authentic holset metal gasket should line up perfectly with the holset hotside?
They don't. I've taken note when dealing with my diesel customers. It does line up better than the gasket in the example above, however.

Awsome read, to make it even more practical on the first page, a list of known combination exhaust manifolds that work to clear the block, would be double awsome.

Does anyone know the current record for the hx40 in the .55AR bep bolt on housing? i heard somewhere 10.8 but i don't know who or how fast they went. i am looking to break that record. im looking for 1/4 mile times with or without race gas (not e85) and dyno runs on pump gas and race gas.

Last edited:
Welcome back from your ban.

So because you don't believe it, it's not possible? That's not a short-sighted perspective at all!

Badman's dyno thread:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dyno-talk/334299-holset-hx40-makes-685hp-584tq.html

Post # 30:
I am still on the bep .55a/r housing

Post # 52:
The bep housing I used is unported.

Here's the graph:

Now, there may be a chance he ran that in the rare BEP T3 .55A/R which I no longer see listed for Holsets on the Bullseye site.

They do still offer them for the Borg Warner S200sx units with part # [210100-3]

He did a direct swap from a 3076R to the HX40. And to pre-empt further skepticism this was done on a 2.3L not a 2.0 which should choke up sooner in a given housing and require less boost due to displacement.

Yet there are the results for all to see.

Notice how I posted that in August and no one but you jumped on it? I don't just make this shit up for fun.

Awsome read, to make it even more practical on the first page, a list of known combination exhaust manifolds that work to clear the block, would be double awsome.

A manifold specific discussion link is posted in the Holset FAQ that is sticked at the top of this section.

If I go with the HX35 in the BEP housing, what all do I have to get to run the turbo? I have the pr external wg setup already. I know that I have to get oil feed lines but don't know which ones, can I get links to where I can get them? Any fab work needed? I know the info is probably out there, but I would like to have it all in one thread so I can see what I'm up against and avoid any hidden parts that I will need so I can get a good estimate on the money I need to be ready to spend.

Another thing is will I have to change my intake pipe and will the turbo be pushed over toward the passenger side?

If I go with the HX35 in the BEP housing, what all do I have to get to run the turbo? I have the pr external wg setup already. I know that I have to get oil feed lines but don't know which ones, can I get links to where I can get them? Any fab work needed? I know the info is probably out there, but I would like to have it all in one thread so I can see what I'm up against and avoid any hidden parts that I will need so I can get a good estimate on the money I need to be ready to spend.

Another thing is will I have to change my intake pipe and will the turbo be pushed over toward the passenger side?

It is already all in one thread. You just need to search for it. :shhh:

Multiple yes, so why add another when we have 30+ that have everything in them. Even step by step.

Looked thru the links and they mostly talk about part numbers, not parts I will need to run this setup in my car. The one link from 2004 is 11 plus pages which I stated was probably out there. I'm looking for info on what Im going to need which again is probably out there, but if its here I'll know for sure and can ask questions.

Lookin for pic of this setup on a 1g. I'd hate to get a hx35 and not be able to get the pipe, maf and air filter to fit. Switching to SD or GM is not a option at the moment.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back