The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Holset Turbos, PART 8

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Random question, have people gotten a BEP T3 70AR to fit on a old cast turbonetics manifold with no spacer, does it clear the block? Thinking about switching up my tried and true HX35.

Noob here as in first car I'm doing work on... I have a question regarding the oil feed to a Wh1c the fitting looks different to the one of the Hx35. So my question is how do I go about setting up a oil feed line to the fitting?

wanted to post this here to let ppl know dreams can come true.
hx40 fp3575 exhaust housing.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
FP intake, FP turbine housing, Holset turbo....a recipe for big numbers from a bolt-on turbo! :thumb:

thx ,i made an enormous oil drain thats a/n fitted to an n/a oilpan. got that idea from you.

had the whole bep set-up, but last minute found out a few things that made me steer away. so a friend recommended this route.

and shortly after this the wife kicked my ass, for putting it on the dinning room table.

ok i just got a hx40 from ebay and the comp wheel is trashed so i want to upgrade it to a 6 or 7 blade wheel witch wheel is good for the most hp and where can i buy one cheap i allso need a hot side housing that will work with stock dsm manifold with a t3 adapter my holset hot side hits the block so will a hx35 12cm hotside fit with a 1/2 t3 adapter

Review other's results to determine what wheel you want based on the information in the Holset Results thread. Then look in the Holset part number thread for the wheel you want, and get in touch with any Cummins Power dealer. There will be machining involved if your current wheel is not 60mm/86mm.

HX35 turbine housings do not fit HX40 turbos without machining.

part numbers are assy 3597576 serial o2374607 customer 3597577-01-07/2 model hx40 ive googled it and cant find anything

Dyno challange: Here's your chance to claim fame within the Holset threads here. Hoping a couple others (wisemen?) or current holset users would help pony up some cash towards this. I'm willing to put up $20 towards a dyno pull(s) for a least one current Holset user on a second Garrett turbo setup. The Garrett turbo must be as close as possible blades/exhaust housing size to the Holset on the users car. Same car. Same tune. Same boost pressure. Different turbos. (ie dyno the Holset, swap to the Garrett, dyno the Garrett) You don't have to go for broke and blow it up running crazy boost levels.

Said user would also be responsible for having access to the Garrett setup. So, if you have such a turbo lying around and it matches up well in specs to the Holset, then you'd be a good candidate.

What about housing size?. . . HUGE factor. Of course a bolton hx35 (even the 7blade) won't match a larger turbine housing fp3052 with the same perameters up to about choke likely. We all should know that. The critical area of each housing has been clearly illustrated. . . It's an apples to oranges comparison if you're looking at who has what differences; since turbine housings are more easily interchangeable and are definately a conntrolled perameter like boost and tune. So is it a compressor to compressor comparison? or a hotside to hotside comparison?

Edit: ninja editing FTW. . . With the housing size. . . I'll contribute $20.

I know this is old but i think i may have a good test bed setup.. 57 trim garrett (and a 50 trim also) in a t04e housing and T3 stage III turbine in a .63 a/r housing

My holset is also in a T3 .63 a/r housing that started as a T3 Stage III and was machined. Aside from the turbine wheel diameters these are pretty close. ther'es only ~2mm difference in the comp wheels inducer and exducer as well asthe turbine being within a couple MM's on each measurement as well.

I would have to get a VCE in order to be able to dyno but i have a friend that has one we just can't find out where he put it last (we were putting his new TRE stage III with EVO 1-4 gears last night and because of wanting to dyno it we built it without the t-case and actually had to pull the nice 4 spider CD and put in a welded one because we couldn't find the damn VCE

ANyway.. I have to dyno this thing sometime this summer anyway so if no one has stepped up for this yet i'm willing, MY last dyno pulls of 438/396 on E85 and 30+psi were on the 57 trim with the .63ar housing and my OLD dyno number of 332/312 were on the 57trimon pump gas, low timing and 18-19psi (lot of upgrades elsewhere in between)

wanted to post this here to let ppl know dreams can come true.
hx40 fp3575 exhaust housing.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Is it possible for me to stuff my HX 40 into my old fp3052 hot side?

Is it possible for me to stuff my HX 40 into my old fp3052 hot side?

Not without extensive machining. I've been putting holsets into T3 housings for a little while and just topday an Hx40 showed up with a gt35r turbine housing and there's a lot more machining that will need to go into one of these style housings to make it work compared to using a normal garrett T3 housing

The backing plate on the tuirbine that keeps oil from getting in the exhaust and gives it a place to burn off is about half as tall on the BB style CHRA'a and this places the turbine major blades in a different location so the entire opening of the volute needs moved and that's in addition to boring the 2 diameters and machining the curve between the 2 sizes correctly..

It's not something i would recomend and would say if you want to use a T3 flanged housing to start with a T3 (T31 turbine style) STage III and machine that or something else that's similar froma garrett journal bearing turbo.

Not without extensive machining. I've been putting holsets into T3 housings for a little while and just topday an Hx40 showed up with a gt35r turbine housing and there's a lot more machining that will need to go into one of these style housings to make it work compared to using a normal garrett T3 housing

The backing plate on the tuirbine that keeps oil from getting in the exhaust and gives it a place to burn off is about half as tall on the BB style CHRA'a and this places the turbine major blades in a different location so the entire opening of the volute needs moved and that's in addition to boring the 2 diameters and machining the curve between the 2 sizes correctly..

It's not something i would recomend and would say if you want to use a T3 style housing to start with a T3 STage III and machine that or something else that's similar froma garrett journal bearing turbo.

Thanks for the info. I will just wait till I find a good deal on the bolt on bep housing.

Heres the deal my current build has a goal of at least 600 hp. I would like to run Holset turbo. I have a 8 blade hx40 and after talking to a couple people on the forum I was told that this turbo was not capable of putting down over 600. So I was wondering what Holset would be capable of doing this. Possible a 6 or 7 blade hx40? Thanks for the help

Provided everything else is up to the task, a Super/Pro 40 with a big divided hotside would be the ticket.

I know of at least one person has made ~680awhp on it with a smaller, more restrictive turbine housing, but those results are atypical.

So far at least.

But its a nearly ~70lb/min wheel. Open up the intake and exhaust, get a beefy cam, good fuel and let her eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back