The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Holset Turbos, PART 6

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also used the same oil inlet flange set-up. Used copper spray on both sides of the included gasket and used nord-lock washers underneath the included bolts. :sneaky:

Thanks!
i am looking to upgrade to a holeset where is a good place to find them for a good price?

I just picked the above one up from goldfarb and associates. They told me to let you guys know to use their website turbodaddy.net. I picked this one up rebuilt for 525 w/out dsm housing (stainless dsm housing is 250). They sell cores for 225 also but there is no guarantee the it will work (basically pulled off a truck and shipped right out). here are a few pictures from their warehouse.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

First pallet i seen upon walking in.

Sorry for the blurriness but they were moving to a bigger location (few warhouses down) but i went to the new location and they had HUGE pallets of turbos. Their purchaser said they just bought another 1000.

That back shelf on the right side had all the hx40's, hx35's and a few garrets

The smaller turbo here is an IHI turbo from the STI's LOL

Wow, I remember when you used to be able to pick up a used jolset from Goldfarb for under $100, I guess they caught on and have jacked up the prices now:rolleyes:

I guess they figured out once everyone was calling and telling them about the holset followings and what a deal they were.

Well no track for me today. They cancelled so i have 5 gallons of race gas and dsmlink.. I already made 413hp dsmlink est on race compared to 378 on pump... Still some tuning to do..

Wow, I remember when you used to be able to pick up a used jolset from Goldfarb for under $100, I guess they caught on and have jacked up the prices now:rolleyes:

I guess they figured out once everyone was calling and telling them about the holset followings and what a deal they were.

Yeah I made people PM me to find out where I got my hx52 from and someone came on and was like was it Goldfarb :ohdamn:

Does he just have a flange adapter? I'm confused on t4 with dsm flanged manifold?

Anyways I guess I should check your mods list, but the "best" hx40's are the 6,7 blade 60mm compressors. They will net you 69lb/min with a t3 manifold and turbine housing. The Bolton housing will net you ~60ish lb/min so you won't be able to see max flow out of the compressor. The 8 blade 58mm is good for 60lb/min which is a pretty good match for the bolt on housing. Since your already flowing 51lb/min you'd probably want to get a worthwhile upgrade so I'd look for the 6 or 7 blade. Make sure it is 60mm though because they make a 7 blade 56mm compressor that falls well short of 69lb/min.

The only thing to crrect here is the housing flow. You can't say a housing flows anything without discussing the turbine wheel that actually restricts the flow. The housing flows very differently with a larger turbine wheel like an hx40 turbine wheel.

The bolton housng with the hx35 turbine wheel can MAYBE see 60lb/min with everything else setup PERFECTLY around it plus gobs of boost. But with the hx40 turbine wheel in that same bolton housing, you could see 63-68lb/min with much loser boost and even a stock intake manifold. The turbine wheel determines flow the housing tweeks flow and spool. Kp116 is proof of that. So is badman21 with his 685 whp pull using the same .55 a/r housing.

Gamble, KP gave you your answer. He's flowing 4lb/min off the gt35r compressor map with a bolton hx40 ;). You want a 60mm inducer hx40 with a bolton housing. The 12blade hx40 turbine wheel flows a bit more than the 10blade hx40 turbine wheel. They are more common too. Be sure to have that as well. You'll need it.

Just joined the club. I have a HX35 on the way from jusmx141 and the 0.55 dsm housing from BEP. I'm running the wastegate off the manifold so they aren't drilling the turbine housing. I have am oil drain line off my old BEP 60-1 so I won't need to buy that. I am ordering a FP 4" intake today to complete the parts I need. Anyone have any advice for install? I read through the little 2g write up and I have done just about all my own work.

Yep. Holsets are no more difficult to install than bolton FP, Garrett, or Borg Warner turbochargers. Glad to see you on the bandwagon.

You will like the improvement the hx35 provides over a bolton 60-1. I did the switch and had about the same flow at the same 28-30psi but had GOBS more torque from faster spool.

The only additional advice I'd give is to Tee of the oil feed inlet at the turbo and check your oil pressure at idle 3200rpms and WOT in the driveway after install. You can use your fuel pressure gauge.

Must be +10psi at idle. +30psi at 32-3500rpms. Must be no more than 72psi at redline.

Yep. Holsets are no more difficult to install than bolton FP, Garrett, or Borg Warner turbochargers. Glad to see you on the bandwagon.

You will like the improvement the hx35 provides over a bolton 60-1. I did the switch and had about the same flow at the same 28-30psi but had GOBS more torque from faster spool.

The only additional advice I'd give is to Tee of the oil feed inlet at the turbo and check your oil pressure at idle 3200rpms and WOT in the driveway after install. You can use your fuel pressure gauge.

Must be +10psi at idle. +30psi at 32-3500rpms. Must be no more than 72psi at redline.

The 60-1 was never installed. I am coming from a FP18g-SL2.

As far as the tee, you are talking about a brass tee? To barb fitting?

Ok here is a question, might sound tricky.
I want to keep my fp manifold for the time being then switch to a t3. So I want a hx40 with a t3 hotside, but is there anyway to do this AND run the wastegate off the o2 housing? Only o2 housings I've seen is just a 4bolt discharge and no provisions for a wastegate.

I want to keep my fp manifold for the time being then switch to a t3. So I want a hx40 with a t3 hotside, but is there anyway to do this AND run the wastegate off the o2 housing? Only o2 housings I've seen is just a 4bolt discharge and no provisions for a wastegate.

I haven't seen one either. But most T3 manifolds offer a wastegate provision.

Well no track for me today. They cancelled so i have 5 gallons of race gas and dsmlink.. I already made 413hp dsmlink est on race compared to 378 on pump... Still some tuning to do..

Question for you. Going off your write-up I think I am going to ditch the factory water/oil cooler for now and run no oil cooler. I have done some research on here and I don't see a reason to run that tiny, leaky, sorry excuse for a cooler. I think eventually I will change to an external setup. What do you guys think?

Any way you can Tee off the line right before entering the turbo is fine. As long as it holds. Or Tee at a point as close as you can get.

The water oil cooler is not worth the effort keeping it.

BEP t3 turbine housing is .70 ar is WAY more turbine housing neccesary with the hx40 turbine wheel to do 700whp. But it has a vband outlet so you need to have another location for the wastegate. Sorry. . . Why not just go for the t3 hx40 and sell the FP manifold? If t3 is what you're going to do anyway. You save money by not buying housings twice and you can sell your fp race manifold to fund some of the cost to go with an hx40. The spool speed with the t3 bep housing and an hx40 is about like that of a t3 gt35r, if you're concerned about street manners.

The other option is to just stick with the bolton hx40. It's done enough to really open everyones eyes. No bolton turbo has dynoed higher. If you notice, the bolton true gt35r turbos didn't come out until the bolton hx40 started to make 650+whp numbers. . . At this high a level, I tend to push that you need to stick with a plan (that will work) to see your goal and not worry so much about versatility for later. If this were an hx35 goal, I'd say otherwise.

You don't need a t3 housing to push an hx40 to the edge of the map. All you're going to gain is more flow per psi which would help with pump gas. But you're still going to need over 30psi to push any of these big turbos (gt35r/hx4/s362). So pumpgas is pretty much out of the question without meth injection. And if you use injection, you don't need to worry about flow per psi, within reason.

I am flowing 66-67lbs/min with a 6-blade hx40 with the bolt-on housing with a stock intake on 39psi..

Heh I stand double corrected. Now I wish I had a seven or six blade. O well I can always get it upgraded if she needs a rebuild.

Don't frown on your 58mm 8blade piece if you have that. It is still very potent. It's done some REALLY good things. 60lb/min on the map and we all know there's more after the map with a quality bearing section that can take the shaft speeds.

Question for you. Going off your write-up I think I am going to ditch the factory water/oil cooler for now and run no oil cooler. I have done some research on here and I don't see a reason to run that tiny, leaky, sorry excuse for a cooler. I think eventually I will change to an external setup. What do you guys think?

Im currently not running an oil cooler. I dont have an oil temp gauge to see how hot it gets, but id suggest running a good synthetic oil if you dont run a cooler.

Im currently not running an oil cooler. I dont have an oil temp gauge to see how hot it gets, but id suggest running a good synthetic oil if you dont run a cooler.

This is good to hear. I've run Royal Purple since I bought the car. My next question is should I leave the ports on the sandwich cooler open to atmosphere, or should I plug them closed?

Well now that you guys say that im going to get rid of those damn hoses for the oil cooler.. I keep laughing at how dumb that is to cool oil with 200* coolant??? Does that make much sense??

Well i did a 25psi pull.. I don't know why i dont log anymore than 41lbs/min but i get faster?? 25psi 70-90mph in 2.1 secs... 0-60 in 4 sec flat spinning nasty in first.. This turbo is no joke on the spool time.. When they say it spools like a 16g they mean it...

Well now that you guys say that im going to get rid of those damn hoses for the oil cooler.. I keep laughing at how dumb that is to cool oil with 200* coolant??? Does that make much sense??

From what I have read, and what a few members on here say, it is really only to heat up the oil on cold starts.

From what I have read, and what a few members on here say, it is really only to heat up the oil on cold starts.

I've heard that as well and I do believe some of the employees at SBR run cooler less as well. IMO if an oil cooler was necessary, wouldn't all vehicles run them. Unless the plans are for VERY hard driving or even autox where you stay in high RPM you shouldn't need one.

Are all you guys running a -10an return or bigger? I heard you need a HUGE return drain for these turbos.

Also what is the recommended oil feed for these turbos? Head or OFH? Restrictor? -3an or -4an?

Are all you guys running a -10an return or bigger? I heard you need a HUGE return drain for these turbos.

Also what is the recommended oil feed for these turbos? Head or OFH? Restrictor? -3an or -4an?

Can you guys list it like this:

What turbo (hx only):
Miles on turbo:
Size of return:
Size of oil line:
Fed from:
Restictor and color:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back