The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Holset Turbos, PART 9

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can anyone point me to a replacement compressor cover for an H1E? I can't find anything other than the BAE upgraded 62mm cover. Not even knockoff covers like you can find for MHI turbos.

^ Yeah, I'll probably do something like that. It's just difficult with how rare the H1E is, especially the 60mm.

Holset compressor covers are hard to find. I gave up on trying to find a 58mm compressor cover and instead just bought a new compressor wheel to match the cover I already had.

Open up the restrictor a bit. The .078" is too small if you're seeing warm idle and cruise pressures that low.

Thanks for the advice. Opened up the restrictor to .092 and the oil pressure is perfect now. Also was able to find a new heatshield for $30 shippped in the classified ads, but I'm not even sure i'll need it at this point.

Installed a perma-cool pusher fan in front of the radiator as well as a 19psi radiator cap and the car sits in the 185* range.

hey guys

can anyone tell me to what A/R equal Holset 12&14cm twinscroll housings ?

garrett turbos for example

I'm trying to understan how big is either 12 or 14cm holset housing

((CM x 8) - 7) / 100 = a/r ratio

some conversions below.

6 cm2 = 0.41 A/R
7 cm2 = 0.49 A/R
8 cm2 = 0.57 A/R
9 cm2 = 0.65 A/R
10 cm2 = 0.73 A/R
11 cm2 = 0.81 A/R
12 cm2 = 0.89 A/R
14 cm2 = 1.05 A/R
16 cm2 = 1.21 A/R
18 cm2 = 1.37 A/R
21 cm2 = 1.61 A/R

((CM x 8) - 7) / 100 = a/r ratio

some conversions below.

6 cm2 = 0.41 A/R
7 cm2 = 0.49 A/R
8 cm2 = 0.57 A/R
9 cm2 = 0.65 A/R
10 cm2 = 0.73 A/R
11 cm2 = 0.81 A/R
12 cm2 = 0.89 A/R
14 cm2 = 1.05 A/R
16 cm2 = 1.21 A/R
18 cm2 = 1.37 A/R
21 cm2 = 1.61 A/R

Basically ^this^ but as I've maintained in the past.. there is some fudge factor when you consider where the centroid is taken for the "A" measurement is not standardized.

interested what's the torque spec for tightening the nut on compressor wheel
and is it torqued counter clockwise ?

interested what's the torque spec for tightening the nut on compressor wheel
Download the correct Service Manual for whatever model you're rebuilding...everything you need to know is inside.

Hey all, I am switching over from a 20G to a Holset HX40 and was needing a little info. Can anyone tell me the correct pitch of the oil inlet on the CHRA for this? I have a fitting but it seems to be a bit snug when I try to start it and don't want to goof anything up. It is a banjo bolt to -4AN line fitting. Also what kind of drain fittings are you all using? I am trying to find a bolt on fitting that I can put a hose barb on and run flex line to the pan but am not real sure of the fitting size. Money is tight and I don't want to waste any so I figured I would asked the experts on this since it is a new induction setup for me. Thanks all! :thumb:

Thank you very much! Had my post in the wrong section so I went in here. Sure appreciate it. Im trying to mock everything up correctly while I wait on my shortblock from Built4G63.

I know this thread has been dead awhile but didn't want to start another, so anyway. I just swapped my twin scroll 7 blade hx35 for a 60mm 7 blade hx40. The hx40 has an 18cm^2 housing on it and I tried it out. Man, holy lag. 35 psi by 5500 or something like that. I'm not liking it. I was looking around for another housing, was thinking to myself about a 14cm or something but then I saw turbolab it seems just came out with this: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...7Uxy2m5qX-ZFGgkP8BboyA&bvm=bv.120551593,d.eWE Its a .82 t3 housing for hx40s. Thoughts? Im kinda leaning towards it, and its about $150.

I know this thread has been dead awhile but didn't want to start another, so anyway. I just swapped my twin scroll 7 blade hx35 for a 60mm 7 blade hx40. The hx40 has an 18cm^2 housing on it and I tried it out. Man, holy lag. 35 psi by 5500 or something like that. I'm not liking it. I was looking around for another housing, was thinking to myself about a 14cm or something but then I saw turbolab it seems just came out with this: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjdpPfdlKvMAhUGPCYKHa8NA0IQtwIINjAE&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVyIrxQUjC8&usg=AFQjCNEtHCiF7Uxy2m5qX-ZFGgkP8BboyA&bvm=bv.120551593,d.eWE Its a .82 t3 housing for hx40s. Thoughts? Im kinda leaning towards it, and its about $150.
I know it's been a few months but what housing did you end up going with? Why didn't you just have the HX35 housing machined for the HX40?

I went with that turbolab t3 housing. I just got it last week. I could have had the hx35 housing machined but I had the stock 12cm^2 housing on the hx35. I could only get 52 lbs/min out of the 7 blade hx35 and I felt the housing was to blame. I wanted a larger turbine housing so I can the hx40 to reach its potential.

The T3 .70 BEP housing is plenty large enough for an off-the-shelf HX40 to work properly. When I initially spoke to Turbo Lab a couple years ago about possibly introducing a larger a/r direct-fit T3 housing, it was basically for those using the upgraded compressor wheels who may run into thrust issues on the .70 housing like I did with Dave's 66mm HX40 at first until I had a .82 Garrett housing machined and the thrust problems ceased.

I'm not saying the .82 housing is a bad idea...it's definitely an affordable housing, but a standard HX40 may not gain anything but lag with one of those over a .70 BEP user. Perhaps they have some data to prove otherwise, but for years we ran the .70 T3 BEP housing to low 9's and almost 160mph using a standard 6-blade 60mm HX40 logging airflow beyond the map reaching full boost in the mid-to-upper 4000 range, so either one will likely work great. Good to see this budget housing is now available.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back