The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Holset Turbos, PART 8

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Provided everything else is up to the task, a Super/Pro 40 with a big divided hotside would be the ticket.

I know of at least one person has made ~680awhp on it with a smaller, more restrictive turbine housing, but those results are atypical.

So far at least.

But its a 70lb/min wheel. Open up the intake and exhaust, get a beefy cam, good fuel and let her eat.

What Holset would get me 70lb a min. I had a venom drag smim. Kelford 272s dual intank Wally 255s an 2150s?

My turbo is a 8 blade hx40 with the bep .70 at hot side. I will be running e85. And kiggly racing bee hives with titanium retainers. Th punishment racing t3/t4 mani

I know this is old but i think i may have a good test bed setup.. 57 trim garrett (and a 50 trim also) in a t04e housing and T3 stage III turbine in a .63 a/r housing

My holset is also in a T3 .63 a/r housing that started as a T3 Stage III and was machined. Aside from the turbine wheel diameters these are pretty close. ther'es only ~2mm difference in the comp wheels inducer and exducer as well asthe turbine being within a couple MM's on each measurement as well.

I would have to get a VCE in order to be able to dyno but i have a friend that has one we just can't find out where he put it last (we were putting his new TRE stage III with EVO 1-4 gears last night and because of wanting to dyno it we built it without the t-case and actually had to pull the nice 4 spider CD and put in a welded one because we couldn't find the damn VCE

ANyway.. I have to dyno this thing sometime this summer anyway so if no one has stepped up for this yet i'm willing, MY last dyno pulls of 438/396 on E85 and 30+psi were on the 57 trim with the .63ar housing and my OLD dyno number of 332/312 were on the 57trimon pump gas, low timing and 18-19psi (lot of upgrades elsewhere in between)

Since DSM-onster is more up to speed on what would compare well, I'll let him be the judge on whether we pony up the money. I'll honor my prior offer if he feels it's a good comparison.

Morphius, thanks a lot, i just figured people had forgotten orgave up on it. I'm in no hurry to be honest and in a few months i may have the money to do so on my own. I just got an attorny for my dissability so hopefully my financial and physical situation start making a turn for the better in the next 3 months or so.

I want to dyno it anyway with this turbo and now that i've rebuilt the old 57 trim i use to run both turbos will be in great shape as well as sharing the exact same turbine housing and even down to the intercooler routing, down pipe and everything else. only difference will be the different brand CHRA's, compressor wheels and housings

I previousely made, 438hp on the 57 maxed out in bad shape, so it should be a little better with the new compressor wheel too

Does anyone know if there is a difference in the v-band size of the hx40 t4 turbine housings? I have the divided t4 19cm^2 housing and the v-band and outlet sizes are a little larger than my o2 housing. I really dont want to switch o2 housings since its made for my divided manifold and downpipe.
Would the 17cm^2 housing have a smaller outlet and/or vband flange?

Any input is appreciated.

I just purchased a dnp divided T4 manifold. My question is will a hx35 in the 12cm twin scroll housing fit on my 2g with a T4 to T3 adapter plate? Or will I have to cut off the flange and weld on a t3 twin scroll flange?

Just redrill the holes

Attachments

• t3t4.jpg
    t3t4.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 539
Just redrill the holes
The darker outline is T4 correct? So after I drill the holes do I need to widen the middle where its needed? Will the extra open space not cause a problem? (I know it will be sealed but they obviously wont mate 100% correctly.

Thanks for your help.

well I have joined the holset family! Just picked all this up today for $300 canadian.

HX40 8blade, no shaft play and clean w .82 a/r t3 housing.
BEP bolt on housing..needs some broken bolts extracted
o2 housig with 38mm flange for external wastegate set-up
2g stock manifold
2gb eclipse high rise wing.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Was gonna run a td05 20g which apperently was just rebiult by Justin, for a guy in cali before he sold it to me! But I relly wanted a holset! Now the 20g will be up forsale

so my bep housing exhaust is way bigger then my o2 housing, how do i get around that?

I just purchased a dnp divided T4 manifold. My question is will a hx35 in the 12cm twin scroll housing fit on my 2g with a T4 to T3 adapter plate? Or will I have to cut off the flange and weld on a t3 twin scroll flange?

I'm using the OBX adapter plate for my setup. I will be welding it to the turbo, but my main concern is the threads in the plate. They are quite shallow, and I'll probably be tacking the bolts in just to be safe. Either that or putting studs in the turbo and nuts on top of the flange.

Here's what it looks like:

It's adapting my T4 manifold to my 12cm2 HX35.

I'm using the OBX adapter plate for my setup. I will be welding it to the turbo, but my main concern is the threads in the plate. They are quite shallow, and I'll probably be tacking the bolts in just to be safe. Either that or putting studs in the turbo and nuts on top of the flange.

It's adapting my T4 manifold to my 12cm2 HX35.

How thick is your obx adapter... Is it a 1/2”? I was thinking about getting the more expensive adapter off of ebay but im worried about it being too thick.
I think I will follow your lead and weld the adapter to the turbine housing.

I didn't even know there was a more expensive adapter haha oops. I'm guessing it's 1/2", I can measure it tomorrow.

EDIT: found the other one. Hmmm...

I will have to take my current turbo/manifold off to see how much room ill have to work with. Im not sure when ill have time too though.

Getting my tune dialled in at the moment. Here's a quick recap of the build:
7-blade HX40 with .84 twin scroll Garrett housing, JMF top-mount exhaust manifold, Evo 3 intake manifold, Treadstone vertical flow intercooler, 2.1L engine, twin XS Power wastegates with 10psi springs (I know... XS Power...)

Currently have it running about 26psi and it feels strong when boost is built up. ECMLink is reporting 470whp peak at the moment, which is pretty much where I wanted it to be. The only little issue I have (some have read about it elsewhere) is the spool of it. When I'm boosting up to 26psi it's only getting there at about 4900rpm which is pretty high I think.

I tried throwing in 3 extra degrees of timing between 3 and 4000rpm and it didn't do anything to increase spool, and I've tried changing the gain on my SBC-iD boost controller and it's not helped either. I'm gonna try a boost leak check in the next couple of days as I think that's the next thing I should confirm. Anyone else got any other ideas though?

It's still quick, and will be when I'm drag racing as I'll always be in boost, but that spool takes an awful long time. Check out my ECMLink log for details (excuse the last bit - I popped off an intercooler hose!)

Attachments

• log.2012.05.03-09.elg
    24.1 KB · Views: 91
I'm excited to see what this thing does on the 2.3.

To follow up on the T3 to T4 twin-scroll adapter, it appears I'm going to have to cut most of the T3 flange off my turbo so I can weld on the adapter and have room for the bolt heads. I'll post pics of what I'm talking about tomorrow.

Pics as promised.

I'd like to make an update on my setup.. T3 5bolt housing machined to hold the h1c (hx35) turbine and CHRA with an HX40 8 blade 58mm wheel and compressor housing mated to it. Mounted on a T3 cast t-netics manifold running 1600 injectors on a haltech e6x ECU

The most it hit on a real dyno was 530 and i ran out of fuel, since then i've added the 1600's, done some more tuning as well as upgrading the FMIC andit's piping.. I haven't hit the dyno but airflow calculations and fuel usage bsed on the math from the AFR"s logged it's still in the ~550whp range but i keep lifting heads when i either bypass 30psi or when i mis-fire in the 30psi range (i'm replacing one right now actually LOL)

I'm needing a setup with L19's but want to try and retain the composite gasket and not have to pull te block to have t decked.. I'm gonna swap the L19's/H11's in one-by-one just like most do from stock to regular ARPs and see how long they'll hold for (hoping a long time LOL)

When i pushed the first HG i went and installed a working cyclong manifold and setup the actuators and played with setting them off anywhere from 3500 to 5000 RPM, i camneto like anywhere from 4400-4600 rpm to open and then closing again under that (set to 200 rpm less than what the open is set to in my ECU)

THe setup gained a TON of torque and almost felt like i was back on a smaller turbo in the low RPM range and it's great, but for somereason (you'll know soon) i wasn't getting the top end i recalled from the old manifold.,, Then i found my actuators weren't opening since i had put the solenoid in backwards when cleaning up hoses and wiring and got thebest of both worlds, i feel no loss in comparison to the 1g m,anifold and gained a ton down low as well as spooling faster/better at all RPM

WEll, that's about it, not gonna push it tll i can get some better studs (i'm filing bankruptcy though so might be a while unless anyone wants o make donations) BUt once i get them i plan to get back to tuning in the 30-33psi range and seeing what i can extract out with a clean pull to redline then i'll hit the dyno again :) till then i'm saving what money i get

Earlier in this thread is was asked of if the holset CHRA could be put into an FP30 exhaust housing.. I'm not sure how different they are than the 35R housing but i just recently finished and shipped the customer a mitsu flanged 35r turbine housig that i machined to hold an H1e (the big one with hx40 turbine) The postition of the outter blades in relation to the volute was a bit iffy and i was sure at first i would have to use an adapter ring to make them work together but after having the housing x-ray'd and seeing there was enough material i machined it out to work.. <My pics are in another thread in the turbo section of this forum named somethina about 35r turbine and hx40 CHRAcompressor

I'd like to make an update on my setup.. T3 5bolt housing machined to hold the h1c (hx35) turbine and CHRA with an HX40 8 blade 58mm wheel and compressor housing mated to it. Mounted on a T3 cast t-netics manifold running 1600 injectors on a haltech e6x ECU

The most it hit on a real dyno was 530 and i ran out of fuel, since then i've added the 1600's, done some more tuning as well as upgrading the FMIC andit's piping.. I haven't hit the dyno but airflow calculations and fuel usage bsed on the math from the AFR"s logged it's still in the ~550whp range but i keep lifting heads when i either bypass 30psi or when i mis-fire in the 30psi range (i'm replacing one right now actually LOL)

I'm needing a setup with L19's but want to try and retain the composite gasket and not have to pull te block to have t decked.. I'm gonna swap the L19's/H11's in one-by-one just like most do from stock to regular ARPs and see how long they'll hold for (hoping a long time LOL)

When i pushed the first HG i went and installed a working cyclong manifold and setup the actuators and played with setting them off anywhere from 3500 to 5000 RPM, i camneto like anywhere from 4400-4600 rpm to open and then closing again under that (set to 200 rpm less than what the open is set to in my ECU)

THe setup gained a TON of torque and almost felt like i was back on a smaller turbo in the low RPM range and it's great, but for somereason (you'll know soon) i wasn't getting the top end i recalled from the old manifold.,, Then i found my actuators weren't opening since i had put the solenoid in backwards when cleaning up hoses and wiring and got thebest of both worlds, i feel no loss in comparison to the 1g m,anifold and gained a ton down low as well as spooling faster/better at all RPM

WEll, that's about it, not gonna push it tll i can get some better studs (i'm filing bankruptcy though so might be a while unless anyone wants o make donations) BUt once i get them i plan to get back to tuning in the 30-33psi range and seeing what i can extract out with a clean pull to redline then i'll hit the dyno again :) till then i'm saving what money i get

Earlier in this thread is was asked of if the holset CHRA could be put into an FP30 exhaust housing.. I'm not sure how different they are than the 35R housing but i just recently finished and shipped the customer a mitsu flanged 35r turbine housig that i machined to hold an H1e (the big one with hx40 turbine) The postition of the outter blades in relation to the volute was a bit iffy and i was sure at first i would have to use an adapter ring to make them work together but after having the housing x-ray'd and seeing there was enough material i machined it out to work.. <My pics are in another thread in the turbo section of this forum named somethina about 35r turbine and hx40 CHRAcompressor

Wait glenn let me get this straight, you were making 530 with an 8 blade hx-40? That's awesome, most dynos i see are in the mid 400s. Only reason I am excited is I have the same compressor, but will be going twin scroll with an 18cm2 housing.

Wait glenn let me get this straight, you were making 530 with an 8 blade hx-40? That's awesome, most dynos i see are in the mid 400s. Only reason I am excited is I have the same compressor, but will be going twin scroll with an 18cm2 housing.

Lol, it is a 60lb/min compressor. He's on E85 too, where most others are on 93.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back