The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Holset Turbos, PART 6

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I highly doubt it unless you had it custom made...

What turbo (hx only): hx35 kinda.. WH1C
Miles on turbo:500 at 24psi
Size of return:3/4 oil resist hose, 2g oil return line on pan and t3 oil drain on turbo
Size of oil line:-4an with no restrictor
Fed from:OFH
Restictor and color:none

This is good to hear. I've run Royal Purple since I bought the car. My next question is should I leave the ports on the sandwich cooler open to atmosphere, or should I plug them closed?

As long as the coolant tubes entering the sandwhich filter are blocked you won't have an issue with leaving these open or closed. Leaving them open might help you determine if you ever have any issues with the filter housing becoming crushed over time and leaking oil.

coolant fed oil coolers are designed to heat up the oil on cold starts and to help keep oil at a semi constant temperature so its not to erratic while driving. Being coolant cooled also helps keep oil coking to a minimum however its still common practice to idle the engine for a short period of time before shut down.

Question on oil feed lines- Alot of people run a line from the OFH with a restictor but were can I get the ss line to feed it from the head? I figured this way it would be cleaner looking and I may not have to rely on a restrictor. I know these lines have been produced but I can't seem to find them
Obviously I would still need a gauge hooked up temporarily to check for pressure but being as mitsubishi made it this way from the factory I would like to keep it this way.

Last edited:
As long as the coolant tubes entering the sandwhich filter are blocked you won't have an issue with leaving these open or closed. Leaving them open might help you determine if you ever have any issues with the filter housing becoming crushed over time and leaking oil.

coolant fed oil coolers are designed to heat up the oil on cold starts and to help keep oil at a semi constant temperature so its not to erratic

Ok so I am going to leave the ports open and loop the coolant line at the block.

i will be running an hx-55 on my 2.3 stroker. my current issue is the fact that the hx-55 has a t6 exhaust housing. does anyone have a spare hx-40 turbine housing? i will have plenty of feedback on this turbo.

i will be running an hx-55 on my 2.3 stroker. my current issue is the fact that the hx-55 has a t6 exhaust housing. does anyone have a spare hx-40 turbine housing? i will have plenty of feedback on this turbo.

Wish I could help, I have a hx-35 exhaust housing from an automatic cummins that I would like to sell

does anyone have a spare hx-40 turbine housing?
What size flange, and what CM specifically? I'll have to see what I have (if any)- I just sent a pile of them to the scrap yard although most of those weren't in very good shape.

I have a 19cm t4 hx40 turbine housing. It was pulled off a brand new hx40. It is pretty damn heavy.

I have a BRAND NEW 16cm T3 housing.

If interested, shoot me a PM.

Went to AMS last thursday to get some numbers on the bolt-on hx40 with a stock intake on 39psi... Everything was the same as it always is but first pull everything was fine until about 5k and the black let off and nothing but oil was burning. I haven't took it out to look at it but I can tell you that the nut for the compressor wheel was laying in the intake right before the turbo... Has anyone heard of this happening with any turbo and if so what could cause it? So I'm pretty sure the turbine wheel and housing are done for... On the positive I think I made 422whp right around 5k before the turbo went...

This is good to hear. I've run Royal Purple since I bought the car. My next question is should I leave the ports on the sandwich cooler open to atmosphere, or should I plug them closed?

You can remove the cooler completely by buying a new stud for the oil filter housing. You can get it at a Mazda dealer. part number # b630-10-319. It's only $10 and it will free up like 2" of clearance for you DP.

KP116, so sorry to hear. Was that turbo rebuilt? Maybe the improper amount of torque was applied to the nut? ???

Did anyone happen to pull the intake pipe before the run?

There are several runnig the hx55. It does not have a t6 bolt pattern. It has a bolt pattern similar to a t4 but jsut a LITTLE bit wider. These guys are enlarging the holes on their divided runner t4 exhasut manifolds and the turbo bolts right up.

I'm 99% sure the hx5* series turbos connect the turbine housing to the CHRA via v-band attachment. So you can't use an hx40 turbine housing. Havn't seen one in about a year though.

There are several runnig the hx55. It does not have a t6 bolt pattern. It has a bolt pattern similar to a t4 but jsut a LITTLE bit wider. These guys are enlarging the holes on their divided runner t4 exhasut manifolds and the turbo bolts right up.

I thought the HX50 series was T6 and it's the HE351VE series that the T4 was close but needed modified to work? Biglady112 could rightly answer this.

I thought the HX50 series was T6 and it's the HE351VE series that the T4 was close but needed modified to work? Biglady112 could rightly answer this.

Biglady like myself runs hx52's. Hx55 can be had in the same htside as the hx52 which is what some have called a T5 to make it easy. It's only slighlt smaller than a t4 and can be easily made to mate to a t4 manifold which is what we're all doing.

well I got it on. This compressor housing is a monstor compared to my old one. Im going to read up on ecm link tonight and fire it up tomorrow. Here is some pics!!!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

KP116, so sorry to hear. Was that turbo rebuilt? Maybe the improper amount of torque was applied to the nut? ???

Did anyone happen to pull the intake pipe before the run?

I'm 99% sure the hx5* series turbos connect the turbine housing to the CHRA via v-band attachment. So you can't use an hx40 turbine housing. Havn't seen one in about a year though.

I bought it off ebay and the guy said it was barely used like 1000 miles max. I believe what he said because it was very clean when I got it. So from my knowledge I don't think it was rebuilt.

Does anyone have pics of it mounted on their 2g? Just looking to see exactly how tight this thing is going to be against the water pipe.

My buddy has a hx35/bolt-on housing with a fp manifold on his 2gb gsx and he needed to dent the water pipe.

page 33 i have a pic of it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back