1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Holset Turbos, PART 4

Posted by Morphius, Aug 7, 2008

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
  1. dsm-onster

dsm-onster DSM Wiseman

Joined Jul 11, 2004
    Bloxom, Virginia
    jkimes, I was yanking your chain about not just getting a turbo, but it seams like your relentless persuit paid off! AWESOME deal. GREAT price for an awesome turbo. You do know that the highest recorded hp for the hx40 super40 wheel on a dsm is NOT with the (hta) billet wheel. You're in for a real treat :) .

We're on boost, SAE is not SAE net. This is whp.

The likely reason for similar horsepower at lower boost is simply the better turbine wheel design of the hx35. Holsets have an amazing design system in place for their turbine wheels. Each frame size seams to outperform, flow and spool.

2K  0

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 1G DSM
  2. We're on Boost

We're on Boost Proven Member

Joined Aug 25, 2007
    Seattle area, Washington
    Ok, that's what I figure too, on the hp.
    I wonder also if it just happens that the Holset turbine wheels are happier in a single scroll housing than their BW counterparts. None of them are really designed for single scroll, but it might just be that the Holsets are less compromised by single scroll than the BW's are. Yeah I know, that would be a tough theory to track down.

Do you know, are these Holsets designed in England?

Gary

4K  19

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    650 whp · 510 lb/ft · 1G DSM

2K  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  3. 1gDSM4g63

1gDSM4g63 Proven Member

Joined Aug 28, 2007
    San Jose, California
    Yes, Holset original started in the United Kingdom but Cummins eventual bought them.

724  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  4. JWoodley

JWoodley Proven Member

Joined Oct 12, 2002
    Middle Of Nowhere, Alabama
    Well, if the DSM gods will allow it....I'll have maxxed out numbers for the Holset on 93 and then around January I'll have maxxed out numbers on Ethanol.

I'm piecing together the rest of the fuel setup now. ;)

661  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
  5. darkhorizon

darkhorizon Proven Member

Joined Aug 13, 2008
    flint, Michigan
    Car is going up for the winter (might have some teasers in a few months), but a few more holset turbo powered fiero are going to roll out soon. If all goes to plan there will be 3 more next spring.

I am really interested in locking in information about the HX40's... I wouldnt mind someone starting a HX40 spcific thread (awe hell a HX35 thread would be sweet too).

6. TxR6guy

TxR6guy Proven Member

Joined Dec 18, 2006
    Haltom, Texas
    Im definitely down for that idea, that will make it 10x easier to find info on each specific turbo.

7. 1gDSM4g63

1gDSM4g63 Proven Member

Joined Aug 28, 2007
    San Jose, California
    Just look at the past couple of pages of the forum.

724  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  8. darkhorizon

Joined Aug 13, 2008
    flint, Michigan
    I read the last few pages... its pretty random and scattered information. I really dont know anything general about a hx40.

9. Morphius

Morphius DSM Wiseman

Joined Jun 9, 2003
    M-Town, Michigan
    That's the point of these threads. Otherwise, there would be a ton of threads with everyone asking the same things all over again. Given the similarities, a specific thread will just end up molding itself into a thread like this. One person will post, 'how much faster does a 35 spool than a 40' and pretty soon it's this thread all over. So, why not just have a set of Holset discussion threads for info like this? To get specific to results, there is now a Holset results thread for people to post with info on their car and any results they can share, logs, dyno, track time. That thread, as it grows will be very uncluttered and concentrated with specific info. There is also a Holset specific part # thread.

Speaking for myself, I hate searching for info and having to go through a ton of different threads. Getting tidbits here and there. Pick a topic, and search. You'll see what I mean. Might be 10, 20, 50 threads. At least with how these have gone, the info in being posted in a series of threads like chapters. So far, 4 major threads with a lot of info and discussion in them. The reason for the break up of the thread (part 1,2,3,4) is to make it a little easier to remember and referance the info. Each thread is under 35 pages. If if it gets too big, it makes it harder to remember where stuff was posted. I think most would find it easier to recall a couple pages out of few 'chapters' than something out of one long monster thread.

My suggestion? Try going back and reading the prior 3 discussion threads, along with this one completely. The info you are looking for, may already be here.

10. darkhorizon

Joined Aug 13, 2008
    flint, Michigan
    I know I could find it if I looked, but 300+ pages is not what I would call light reading...

A "summary" every so often wouldnt be bad.

11. dsm-onster

dsm-onster DSM Wiseman

Joined Jul 11, 2004
    Bloxom, Virginia
    Speaking of information. darkhorizon. I think it would be good for you to post your logs in the 'holsets results only' thread. It's in the same forum as this thread. You have a l60lb/min log with a 7blade hx35. This is worth seeing. And when the season begins, you'll have a place to record your time and mph. . .

2K  0

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 1G DSM
  12. Slippi84

Slippi84 Proven Member

Joined Jun 8, 2005
    Cinnaminson, New Jersey
    Then the easy thing to do is just click a couple of guys profiles that are posting in here that have posted dyno slips or time slips and then you can get a idea of what a turbo can do with a given setup. I don't know if you know how to read them but there are flow charts and mat states like every 10th post the flow ratings of a couple turbos just in answering people's questions.

1K  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
  13. asd_gst

asd_gst Proven Member

Joined Mar 31, 2008
    port royal, South Carolina
    sorry to kinda just throw this out in the middle of a convo but what's the differnce between the hx40 and hx40 pro? im sure i looked over it in this thread i just feel brain dead after reading so much about the holsets i read one page then forget what was on the last page

436  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  14. GST95

GST95 Proven Member

Joined Jun 23, 2002
    Bristol, Indiana
    Looking at somebody's profile is helpful if the posted dyno sheet or time slip are recent and the profile is up to date. If they dont match up, you might get the wrong impression. A post will stay the same, but the profile is constantly changing.

15. darkhorizon

Joined Aug 13, 2008
    flint, Michigan
    I dont like posting the dirty logs, but I can I suppose.

16. We're on Boost

Joined Aug 25, 2007
    Seattle area, Washington
    Yeah, ^that^ in post 914 has bugged me more than once.
    Just having the profile section at all is a real plus for DSMtuners compared to most of the other forums. But it would be even better if a user's old profiles were remembered by the system and you could recall them by date.

4K  19

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

2K  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  17. Slippi84

Slippi84 Proven Member

Joined Jun 8, 2005
    Cinnaminson, New Jersey
    Very true but the slips I"m talking about and the dyno charts are the ones in this thread not attached to their profile even though they may usually be the same. That way you can see when they posted the slip and get a idea of the setup because most guys post what they have when they did the run or pass like "I just ran 11.2 on a hx40 with t3 hotside" that kinda thing. But very good point my suggestion is not always the best way to get an idea of what a turbo could or might do with a given setup but it's a ballpark.

1K  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
  18. Morphius

Morphius DSM Wiseman

Joined Jun 9, 2003
    M-Town, Michigan
    Special thanks to those that have posted in the Results only thread!! There are a handful already and I know there are more to come. Please post as much info as you can about your setup/mods. This will help others as they piece their systems together and further cut down on questions in these discussion threads as they can reference the Results thread for what works.

Logs, dyno graphs and time slips are great. If you don't have that, info on boost vs rpm is also very useful.

19. We're on Boost

Joined Aug 25, 2007
    Seattle area, Washington
    There's a lot of recommendations in this thread and others to use the non-turbo water pipe to make more clearance for big compressor housings. So I looked it up in the mitsu parts online catalog and this is a pic of what is there. What bothers me is it says "from 10/90 1991-1994". My car is a 1990 and was built in September 1989. I know the 1990's are a little different here and there from all the others. Do you guys think this water pipe will fit the 1990?

Attached Files:

4K  19

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

2K  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  20. Mike1992

Mike1992 Proven Member

Joined Jul 19, 2003
    Springfield, Missouri
    If using your 90 stock air-oil cooler, yes the non-turbo water pipe is a good option for u. It provides no ports to feed coolant to the turbo or oil filter housing cooler (91+ cars) But, I beleive it to be the same physical dimensions as its turbo counter part.

1K  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    11.292 @ 126.120 · 1G DSM
  21. GST95

GST95 Proven Member

Joined Jun 23, 2002
    Bristol, Indiana
    I wouldnt buy a new one though. They are all over in junkyards. Im using a 90 nt water pipe on my car. It has no nipple for the coolant/oil cooler used on the 91-94 and no port for the turbo coolant feed. I dont think it really saves any room, but it makes for a cleaner look. If you are using the 90 oil cooler setup you would want the 90 nt water pipe instead of the 91-94. You could use the 91-94, but you would have to plug off the port for the other cooler setup. If you have to dent your water pipe it might be less prone to crack without the coolant port for the turbo, but other than that you wont gain much other than cosmetic IMHO.

22. We're on Boost

Joined Aug 25, 2007
    Seattle area, Washington
    Well that's darned interesting, you guys are both saying it probably won't make anymore room for the turbo. Is it just the 2g cars where it makes more room?

4K  19

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

2K  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  23. GST95

GST95 Proven Member

Joined Jun 23, 2002
    Bristol, Indiana
    2g pipes are different

24. turbotalon1g

turbotalon1g Proven Member

Joined Oct 19, 2005
    Blaine, Minnesota
    Any feedback on bolt-on housing vs T3 for a HX35?

Drag Race Build 1K  1

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    11.333 @ 119.94 · 1G DSM
  25. 1gDSM4g63

1gDSM4g63 Proven Member

Joined Aug 28, 2007
    San Jose, California
    I don't know when the approximate boost hits, but I would think you're best to stay with a standard BEP bolt-on housing. The HX35 is generally a low rpm spooling turbo and a T3 housing will definitely lag compared to a bolt-on .55 a/r. It you're considering a T3 housing it'd be best to go the a HX40+ but that's my 2 cents.

724  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.