The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Holset Turbos, PART 5

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh, so it's pretty much guaranteed that I'll need a spacer with this turbo and a cast manifold? Bah, I sold my spacer over a year ago and I REFUSE to replace the studs in the head once again, these ones are all brand new.

Anyone have any advice on a manifold that would probably provide more clearance and has a 38mm flange? I was hoping to stick with cast b/c this giant Holset and BEP housing would seemingly crack any cheap tubular manifold.

The spacer plate is your friend! I used a 1/2 spacer from RRE with longer studs and had ZERO clearance issues with the compressor housing, block, and water pipe. Granted it only left with with about 1/4" clearance it worked well. Pictures can be found in the results thread.

After messing with it a little bit I got the turbo where I wanted it in the downfire position but the compressor cover was on the block. I assembled without gaskets so I'm gonna give it another go next Monday when I'm on spring break and see if I have more clearance. If not my friend can mill me a spacer.

For the record, who here has gotten a 12cm hx35 compressor housing wihta bolt on exhaust housing to fit without a spacer? I don't mind denting the water pipe, I hate using a spacer though and will avoid it at all costs.

Also can someone tell me the outlet size of the turbo, I am going to t-bolt clamp it and need to make sure my end is big enough to slip over the outlet of the turbo.

For the record, who here has gotten a 12cm hx35 compressor housing wihta bolt on exhaust housing to fit without a spacer? I don't mind denting the water pipe, I hate using a spacer though and will avoid it at all costs.

Also can someone tell me the outlet size of the turbo, I am going to t-bolt clamp it and need to make sure my end is big enough to slip over the outlet of the turbo.

You can grind that lip off and use a coupler, weld on an elbow or create a vband LICP. I did the latter.

I would rather slip my coupler ,which is 2.5 inches, over that lip and clamp it down with a good t bolt clamp. Just wanted to make sure it was the right size before I took the car to the garage where it is a good 2 hours from home and it would suck to be held back by a coupler.

I could care less about denting my water pipe, but if it is possible without using a spacer with mitsu housing, speak up :D I will try to clock is which ever way I can to make it fit before I start denting things.

I would rather slip my coupler ,which is 2.5 inches, over that lip and clamp it down with a good t bolt clamp. Just wanted to make sure it was the right size before I took the car to the garage where it is a good 2 hours from home and it would suck to be held back by a coupler.

This is what I did with my h1c which has the same size outlet as most hx40 turbos.

Ok guys I want join the Holset group too, I added all the stuff I needed for this install:

bidding on a Holset HX40 now its at 250.00-it is used and the most I will pay is about $400 so assuming I get it for that

HX40
BEP DSM housing
oil kit lines
Ebay external wastegate
Ebay o2 housing external dump (make into external wastegate)
Rebuild kit for the Holset

Came to about 957.00 does that sound about right for everything? Hopefully the Holset wont be 400.

I have about $500.00 for my HX40 (200.00 turbo and 3?? for the BEP kit) but I did not go ext. wastegate so yeah I would say your pretty close. Does anyone still have the BEP housings or was that just on the 35's? Oh I just checked your profile you'll need bigger injectors:ohdamn:

I also see your going from a 16g to a HX40 just like I did and man what a diff. :D:hellyeah:

I have about $500.00 for my HX40 (200.00 turbo and 3?? for the BEP kit) but I did not go ext. wastegate so yeah I would say your pretty close. Does anyone still have the BEP housings or was that just on the 35's? Oh I just checked your profile you'll need bigger injectors:ohdamn:

I also see your going from a 16g to a HX40 just like I did and man what a diff. :D:hellyeah:

Yea Im looking for some cheap 650s, I got screwed and didnt have an eprom ecu in my car or I would get 750s and a chip. i Believe Tims turbos has housings.

Having a problem with my housing...

With my center section installed into the hotside (from tims turbos) the wheel doesn't spin.

Doesn't help that he doesnt answer the phone either.

What gives?

Are you sure the center section is in the housing all the way? I had the same problem with my bep housing a while back and the chra was hard to get in the housing all the way. It it isn't, you can pound it on with a rubber mallet.

It slid into the housing fairly easy.

There's a slight lip of the CHRA still sticking out the housing (i.e its not flush with the housing).

I can tighten all the bolts down and it still doesn't help any..

I finally got a hold of him and he said I may have a bigger wheel?? Never heard of that?

Did some HX40's have bigger exhaust wheels?

Well I did get it to fit and this is the only picture I took while it was there. Compressor wheel measures at 58mm with the cover measuring at 7 3/4. It clears the block at the upper part of the cover but it still hits the block where I have it there, just lower on the compressor cover.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

So if a normal cover measure 7 3/4" and his measures the same, what gives?

I dont know. because my 7 1/4 inch h1c fit and I didn't even have to dent the water pipe. It was snug up against it. But I truely doubt there would be an issue with the block no matter the frame size, between hx3 and hx4. Im not sure we have the measurements of that compressor cover. Do we?

Yea if you look in the qoute he posted it. He probably measured differently though..

What do you think about my housing issues.. I PM'd you on link LOL

Okay so a friend of mine found these Holset maps for me off a VW site wanted you guy's to look over them and tell me what you think.

Since i have the Holset Hx40 pro i figured this might be benificial to everyone else.

But by looking at the map my sweet spot on boost level is from 25-30 and below 7k.

Ive got a Hy35 map also if ppl are interested.

Shits and giggles here is a Hx40pro "Blue" vs Gt40r "RED"

Yea Im looking for some cheap 650s, I got screwed and didnt have an eprom ecu in my car or I would get 750s and a chip. i Believe Tims turbos has housings.

You might not be able to get one from tims turbos, I called a few weeks ago and they said they don't have any nor did they expect to get any. I got mine off of the classified section. Good luck luck though.

My dreams are ruined I can not find an evo or evo gt manifold used for the right price, everyone wants like 120, and I think my 2g would be a restriction so :idontknow:

Stock 2G exhaust manifolds have been low 10s and even touched the 9s mark. I highly doubt its that big of a restriction. Port out the lip and knife edge the divider.

My dreams are ruined I can not find an evo or evo gt manifold used for the right price, everyone wants like 120, and I think my 2g would be a restriction so :idontknow:

If you plan to stick with mitsu hotside just use your 2G mani for the time being. Ported they've been proven to flow well. I'm just gonna open mine up the the 7cm gasket and do some minor porting on it and let it ride until I can afford an FP manifold.

It slid into the housing fairly easy.

There's a slight lip of the CHRA still sticking out the housing (i.e its not flush with the housing).

I can tighten all the bolts down and it still doesn't help any..

I finally got a hold of him and he said I may have a bigger wheel?? Never heard of that?

Did some HX40's have bigger exhaust wheels?

I pretty much solved my own problem

Housing wasn't machined properly, not deep enough for the turbine inducer, which hits the housing internally when fully seated.

My turbine inducer is 76mm with a 64mm exducer, I'm sure it's within spec of a typical HX-40. The wheels fit in the housing (regarding diameter) with no issue, only depth.

I'm sending my turbo and my housing off to him so he can machine something to fit :hellyeah:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back