The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Holset Turbos, PART 7

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car is back together and I drove it to work yesterday! Just have to weld in a bung for the IAT sensor and tune it. Man did I miss the sweet sound of the holset!

What size waist gate is sufficent for a 8blade hx35 in stock housing and a non divided manifold. I would like to run as low as 10psi, if possible. I want to run a 38mm vband external. sufficent?

Nice to hear Kevin!

How much more boost do you want? Timing too me is pretty high and the water/meth is a 50/50 mix. This is on 93 pump gas. Did you see the log? All those things are logged. even the AFR's are pretty conservative for meth IMO.

I just looked at your timing sliders and saw they wernt adjusted. So I ASSumed there was more in it with proper fueling/injection. . . Regardless, you're running pump gas and meth injection. So I feel your a/f ratio is good and you should just keep upping the boost until you see knock or no more airflow increase.

I just looked at your timing sliders and saw they wernt adjusted. So I ASSumed there was more in it with proper fueling/injection. . . Regardless, you're running pump gas and meth injection. So I feel your a/f ratio is good and you should just keep upping the boost until you see knock or no more airflow increase.

Well as far as I know all most all tuning was done through the DA tables. The airflow increase did kind of flatline. When he was on alittle lower boost the airflow was actually alittle higher. I was talking to a diesel guy yesterday and he was suggesting its too much boost as it starts chopping the air up. Ideal range he was recommending was in the 25-30psi range.

This should till be a potent turbo. It feels good on the street. It should be getting dynoed next weeknd and see where it is at.

Almost time to go to a 60mm 6blade :hellyeah:

I just found this turbo on craigslist here local to me. I believe it is a 7blade small H1C. I am currently running a 16g and getting about 36/37 airflow out of it on my current set up. I am now to the point that I want to go to a bigger turbo but from what I have read I am not sure if this is much of an upgrade? The guy is selling it pretty cheap so its not going to cost too much but I wander if I'd be better off just waiting to find an HX35.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

That looks like the baby h1c. 45mm inducer. Small h1c has a 50-52mm inducer, big h1c has a 54mm inducer, wh1c has a 56mm 8blade hx35 compressor. I have nothing but speculation to bring to the table. But it likely doesnt have more flow potential than the small 16g. But it will flow better at the same boost, since you will be running a larger turbine wheel and turbine housing. Just not sure if just having more power per psi is worth it considering you can just run water/meth injection and up the boost on the 16g and see 38lb/min at typical ambient temps and have similar spool. No turbo swaps required.

Yellow90tsi, very glad to see someone push the small 56mm hx40. A solid run with a ecent 60ft and a good running setup woul be great for the community to see where this piece ranks. The are more and more common now a days. Seams to be very nice on the street. The flow comes in rather early. It seams that a bolton 56mm hx40 it would be VERY nice for a 500whp frequent driver. Yes, you probably would get more power/flow from a cam upgrade and smim where you could keep the boost at 30-32psi and still push to the right of the map. We really don't have any knowledge of the actual efficiency map for that particular hx40 compressor. Thank you very much for posting some data on this setup with this turbo.

Im Joe's friend that he posted the log about.

Here are two more pulls I did today. The weather was much cooler out so it ran much better to say the least. Boost was about 1-2psi higher and I even got 1* more of timing because my coolant temps stayed in check. Both pulls were on the same stretch of road, 01 was slightly uphill and 02 was slightly downhill. My 70-90s were ~1.4 and 1.2 respectively. Any insight is appreciated.

Attachments

• log.2010.05.08-01.elg
    17.4 KB · Views: 101
  • log.2010.05.08-02.elg
    23.2 KB · Views: 93
That looks like the baby h1c. 45mm inducer. Small h1c has a 50-52mm inducer, big h1c has a 54mm inducer, wh1c has a 56mm 8blade hx35 compressor. I have nothing but speculation to bring to the table. But it likely doesnt have more flow potential than the small 16g. But it will flow better at the same boost, since you will be running a larger turbine wheel and turbine housing. Just not sure if just having more power per psi is worth it considering you can just run water/meth injection and up the boost on the 16g and see 38lb/min at typical ambient temps and have similar spool. No turbo swaps required.

So I'm better off just sticking with the 16g then. Thanks.

I was wondering if anyone could post up one of their V3 logs, just got the car running and need a little help with my tuning plan on running the car at around 24 psi but just trying to get a few bugs worked out first. Appreciate it if anyone can help

I was wondering if anyone could post up one of their V3 logs, just got the car running and need a little help with my tuning plan on running the car at around 24 psi but just trying to get a few bugs worked out first. Appreciate it if anyone can help

Umm, look up two posts. I posted two logs.

Im Joe's friend that he posted the log about.

Here are two more pulls I did today. The weather was much cooler out so it ran much better to say the least. Boost was about 1-2psi higher and I even got 1* more of timing because my coolant temps stayed in check. Both pulls were on the same stretch of road, 01 was slightly uphill and 02 was slightly downhill. My 70-90s were ~1.4 and 1.2 respectively. Any insight is appreciated.

Frankly you have LOW LOW 11s in the car now with some experience launching the car. With a really good 60 ft you could make a 10.99pass I think, based on this: Click. I would just put her on the track as is before you break any drivetrain parts.

You're flowing over 58lb/min at 77*F intake temps and your timing curve looks good with the coolant temp in check.

Sure would be nice to see a tiny 56mm hx40 in the 10s :)

Last night I over filled the engine with a little too much oil, this morning I went to move the car out and it started smoking badly I drove it alittle and it got a little better, I have trouble believing that the seals are blown considering how little i have gotten to drive it. My question is if the oil was too high and the oil couldnt drain properly back into the pan could it have pushed oil passed the seals and caused it to smoke like that. Appreciate the help

It is very possible that is what happened, it would be simular to having a low dip in your return line where the oil would need to be pushed up and into the oil pan. It would back up and push oil past the seals and smoke.

That is about the only logical thing I can come up with since it didnt do it last night anytime and all of a sudden it did it this morning

Last night I over filled the engine with a little too much oil, this morning I went to move the car out and it started smoking badly I drove it alittle and it got a little better, I have trouble believing that the seals are blown considering how little i have gotten to drive it. My question is if the oil was too high and the oil couldnt drain properly back into the pan could it have pushed oil passed the seals and caused it to smoke like that. Appreciate the help

Once i did an oil change on a Montero right before lunch, well i forgot to drain the oil. When i was coming back from lunch i saw my mentor at the time driving it around the block and it smoked like a train. I think with the right amount of oil in it and a few test drive miles it got back to normal.

I drove it this morning and it seemed to clear up alot i will drive it more tonight

Yea drained it down to the correct level and everything. I went and started it and let it idle for about 15 mins and reved it alittle. Seams to have cleared up nicely and no more smoke

Well i am buttoning up my engine build. Should be assembling the engine this weekend. I went with some mahle pistons. I can't wait to see what this turbo does with this stroker. Should be sick

WOW! Member 1gDSM4g63 took the hx52 with the smaller 16cm^2 housing to 600whp on a dynojet with only 27psi and a 2.0L motor. Congrats!

What fuel was he using and how much of a power band did he have? That is a massive turbo and I wouldn't think he would have those numbers until 6k at least. I dunno though but very impressive either way.

Having a problem with my car over boosting, I suspected my mbc, so I took it out and capped the boost line off the compressor housing and just left the wastegate vented. Car still slams to 30 psi boost, I am suspecting a bad diaghram in the wastegate. Anyone help me out????

What fuel was he using and how much of a power band did he have? That is a massive turbo and I wouldn't think he would have those numbers until 6k at least. I dunno though but very impressive either way.

It's the lastest entry in the Holset results thread. Full boost (27psi) by 5200rpms. 20psi by 4800rpms. . . This is on the dyno too, by the way ;). Max torque by 5400rpms. Over 400whp by 5200rpms too. I remember the old clipped fpred spooling about that fast on everyones 2.0L setup back in the day. 16cm^2 turbine housing obviously isn't that small/choking since so much power was made with such little boost relatively and with 2.0L of motor with peak power at around 8300rpms. Spool speed is rediculous considering how much it is flowing to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back