The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Holset Turbos, PART 9

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It's a HX40, but same difference.

Car is a 1Ga, still has the headlight motors installed. Zero clearance issues with the FP intake.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Also I don't really feel this general of a question needs it's own thread, nor should it be started in the Newbie forum as you've been a Proven Member for a while now. Merged.

Sorry for my ignorance..... I did search!!!!

What is the HX40 (with any style turbine housing) 1/4 mile record?

Talondave went low 9s on an Hx40 in the .70ar housing.

Sorry for my ignorance..... I did search!!!!

I think 9.6 at 150, maybe 9.4? All i know is I'm chasing it too an i'll get there before you do :D Gonna try for the 2g hx40 record. Since talon daves got more weight reduction then i can ever get being that the 1g is already much lighter. And also that he us shooting for 8s next season LOL. i currently hold the 2.0 .55ar bep pump gas dyno record for the hx40 :) LOL

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/drag-strip/416444-talondave-batmowheel-hx40-goes-9s.html

That will change this coming season. Car is completely different- he's back to the cast 6-blade wheel, has a cage, parachute, more weight reduction, a 5" ETS intercooler versus a Buschur street core, all new suspension bushings, etc. New goal is 8's and/or 160mph on a 60mm junkyard turbo. :thumb:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

i currently hold the 2.0 .55ar bep pump gas dyno record for the hx40 :) LOL
Not exactly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2N47u4enMs

This was on the small .55 a/r BEP bolt on housing @ 34-35psi on pump gas and meth injection. Im going back with the T3 housing and shooting for 600's
Thanks to Chip (talontsi97) for the videos!

Last edited:
Just you wait, my car is on a shipping truck to niagra falls, moving to oakville ontario to be with my girlfriend of 3 years.... Oh and i'll be going to welding school bringing the miller 180 along for side jobs. I'll fill me up some 94 and report back :cool: i havent even tried 30+ psi yet on the holset.;) The new ets 4" fmic is gonna be awesome with the cold canada temps and 94 octane pump gas. Hehe

^ I used to have the 24v, piping for miles...

I'm going to try and make the shootout next year.

I am looking at an hx35 tonight. I have read alot and saw that it is good for 350-550 or so hp flowing 52lbs/min. I want to make about 400-450 on the street. Do you think that it would be a good option for me? It's a twin scroll 8 blade so it would spool fairly quick. It also has 0 miles. What do you all think?

If it's a god price I say do it and get a bep bolt on housing for it.

I have a question. I will soon be installing a 7 Blade HX35. It came with a .48 a/r machined Garrett turbine housing. I have been debating on just buying the BEP .70 housing, but it is probably going to cost 400-500 to upgrade while I already have everything ready to bolt on right now. My real question is about the "airflow wall" I may hit with this housing. I really don't understand it completely. Lets say I bolt this on and make 40lb/min at 25psi (shot in the dark) but that is my "limit" does that mean turning the boost up to say 28psi will have no affect? What are the "symptoms" of reaching the turbine housing's limit? Also what would it be like for the .70? Would I make like 45lb/min (again, a guess) at the same 25psi? Or does it just increase the max airflow? Hopefully I am asking the right questions.

And one other question, I need to do a rebuild on this turbo and should I get the kit at Cummins or g pop shop? And what size is the nut on the compressor wheel?

I have a question. I will soon be installing a 7 Blade HX35. It came with a .48 a/r machined Garrett turbine housing. I have been debating on just buying the BEP .70 housing, but it is probably going to cost 400-500 to upgrade while I already have everything ready to bolt on right now. My real question is about the "airflow wall" I may hit with this housing. I really don't understand it completely. Lets say I bolt this on and make 40lb/min at 25psi (shot in the dark) but that is my "limit" does that mean turning the boost up to say 28psi will have no affect?
Correct. Expect the .48 T3 housing to perform the same or slightly worse than the .55 bolt-on Bullseye housing as both housings have a centered volute.

What are the "symptoms" of reaching the turbine housing's limit?
Airflow stops, EGT's jump up drastically with added boost, you can't keep the wastegate shut when adding boost (both symptoms of excessive backpressure), or horsepower does not change with added boost (if you're running on a dyno).

Also what would it be like for the .70? Would I make like 45lb/min (again, a guess) at the same 25psi? Or does it just increase the max airflow? Hopefully I am asking the right questions.
Airflow across the board will go up because you're removing restriction from the system. Of course, you'll gain lag as well.

And one other question, I need to do a rebuild on this turbo and should I get the kit at Cummins or g pop shop? And what size is the nut on the compressor wheel?
Only a Cummins Turbo Tech dealer or some diesel performance shops can get you an OEM parts kit. The nut will either be 10mm 12-point or 13mm 6-point.

Okay guys I have been following these discussion threads quite consistently and now would like to bring a few questions forwards as my build slowly comes together. I will be building a 2.3 stroker setup and running an hx40 7 blade billet wheel. This will be more of a street high horsepower build so I would like to get it spooling as fast as possible. My question is whether to run a twin scroll hotside or the .70ar t3 hotside? Will the twin scroll be beneficial enough spool wise to outweigh the loss of airflow compared to the .70ar? or is the fact that it is a 2.3l and will be using a billet wheel be enough to keep spool time low and then be able to use .70ar for maximum airflow? I have been seeing lots of conflicting information so would like to hear some opinions based on facts and personal experience not just by what you may have heard. Thank you guys very much in advance.

My question is whether to run a twin scroll hotside or the .70ar t3 hotside? Will the twin scroll be beneficial enough spool wise to outweigh the loss of airflow compared to the .70ar? or is the fact that it is a 2.3l and will be using a billet wheel be enough to keep spool time low and then be able to use .70ar for maximum airflow?

Twin scroll is typically going to spool faster than open T3, unless you go with a ridiculous 22cm housing or something. Your also not going to gain massive amounts of airflow capabilities with an open T3. Depending on which Holset housing your comparing it to, you may lose top end flow. One of the biggest reasons guys go with BEP .55 or .70 housing is price and ease of install. A quality twin scroll T3 manifold along with wastegate(s), custom downpipe, etc is going to cost much much more than an open T3 setup. And since most guys will never max out a .55 or .70 housing, they can't justify the added cost and simply deal with the limitations.

Long story short, if you can afford to do a twin scroll setup, do it. Much faster spool with greater/equal top end capability.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back