The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Holset Turbos, PART 9

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

That isn't true. There are members running the t/s 18cm getting full spool around 4500-4800. I'll be running one on my car. Hx40 8 blade.

Holset Turbos, RESULTS ONLY (COMPLETE INSTALLED SYSTEMS) - DSM Forums
A gorgeous setup, no doubt....but it seems like a waste when a single-scroll T3 .70 housing spools faster than those results with the same compressor spec and has trapped 151mph, preparing to go even faster this coming season. It's not like the .70 BEP housing is a known restriction.

That's true I guess I was mainly just replying Ttp the comment that the housing was to big to work for our cars. I can't wait to see what Dave does.

airmail96 is that T3 or T4 housing? Reason I ask is because I know that holset made a hx40 18cm t3 TS housing which is supposed to rare. Did redjack make you're o2 housing as well?

A gorgeous setup, no doubt....but it seems like a waste when a single-scroll T3 .70 housing spools faster than those results with the same compressor spec and has trapped 151mph, preparing to go even faster this coming season. It's not like the .70 BEP housing is a known restriction.

I don't know about that. Im running a 18cm^2 stock holset housing just like his and I'm able to stall it on my stock stall. This thing spools quicker than my .55 bolt-on hx40. I doubt I could get an open t3 to spool.

I don't know about that. Im running a 18cm^2 stock holset housing just like his and I'm able to stall it on my stock stall. This thing spools quicker than my .55 bolt-on hx40. I doubt I could get an open t3 to spool.

Do you have a log you could share?

Not that I don't believe you.. I'm just skeptical having run an HX40 sized S200sx (59/80 compressor & 74/64 turbine) in the .55 bolt on as well as a divided 1.22A/R T4 thats about comparable to 18cm2 and it still spooled pretty quickly, but it was certainly not coming on faster than the bolt on housing.

What cam and manifold? Maybe there's some quirk in your setup that makes it especially complimentary to that housing.

Seems guys are having great luck with the 9cm hy35 housings.

Why not run a spool valve on the 18cm housings. Then have it open completly at say 5000rpm. Id think this would give the speedy spool everyone desires as well as a great low drive pressure up top. It could be done for much less than a nice TS setup. I also believe it would spool more quickly than a 18cm TS setup.

Do you have a log you could share?

Not that I don't believe you.. I'm just skeptical having run an HX40 sized S200sx (59/80 compressor & 74/64 turbine) in the .55 bolt on as well as a divided 1.22A/R T4 thats about comparable to 18cm2 and it still spooled pretty quickly, but it was certainly not coming on faster than the bolt on housing.

What cam and manifold? Maybe there's some quirk in your setup that makes it especially complimentary to that housing.

I dont have any logs but have a couple vids I will try to post later. I am running stock intake manifold and delta 264/272 regrinds and nothing was changed when switching turbos. The .55 housing would only spool on a itp restalled converter. When I switched turbos it would spool to quick so I tried my stock converter and it spooled the same as the bolt-on if not faster and I gained a lot of mph up top.

Ok time for me to upgrade from a 16G, well billet 16g again and I'm considering a holset again, I have always like them since I had a HX35, initially it made 460/440 on 30psi, but then I came home retuned the car and on 28psi it felt a ton stronger than it did on 38psi spike down to 30psi.

Anywho, the reason I feel like holsets are a deal are because they are amazingly durable and usually cheap, now they have skyrocketed in price because of the demand which I expected but this time I'm looking at HX40s and 6266 in a T3 housing, last time i was in a bolt-on housing.

I've been away from holsets for a while, I've seen dave has had great results, but one off's aren't always a good indicator.

Thanks.

Will the difference in spool be noticeable between the two, if they were both in the same BEP housing?

Want my car to be as streetable as possible with the holset on there. Thinking of selling my 8 blade and picking up a 7 blade, but if the spool isnt that much of a difference I'll just keep it.

SOrry, the one off I was referring to is Talondave.

Has anyone else put up times or dyno numbers that would show the HX40 is competition for a 6266.

Absolutely nothing about Dave's build is unobtainable. Standard Eagle/Wiseco engine, 60mm HX40, BEP housing, ERL manifold, etc. It's all stuff that can be bought and installed by anyone.

He's back to the standard $400 junkyard turbo for this season- car will be heading to the dyno soon. ;)

^Good.

That will help convince me to run an HX40, again I love holset because i know my old HX35 took a pounding for year at 38psi spike with no air filter and I drove it across country 8 times like that and raced a lot with it.

It was just a shame that I didn't get to push it to its potential before I sold it.

But my dilemma with the 6266 vs. HX40 is that I can get 6266 at a great price and the HX40s are becoming a tough find.
and I don't see people running the trap speeds or even dyno numbers of them.

Hopefully dave can put some good numbers with the ol junkyard goodness.

I'll be on the dyno sometime soon on race gas woth my bolt on setup just so i can see what I'm making at way more boost than my current. 27 psi, iats in canada lately have been around freezing, 32* :)

Not everyone with a Holset has easy Dyno or track access. Thats probably why there are far less numbers. Not to mention the people actually pushing their Holset are also limited and most
Of the time are daily/street driven.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/drag-strip/416444-talondave-batmowheel-hx40-goes-9s.html

That will change this coming season. Car is completely different- he's back to the cast 6-blade wheel, has a cage, parachute, more weight reduction, a 5" ETS intercooler versus a Buschur street core, all new suspension bushings, etc. New goal is 8's and/or 160mph on a 60mm junkyard turbo. :thumb:

Are you expecting to see better numbers from the 7blade batmowheel to the cast 6blade wheel?

With significant weight reduction and a far more efficient fmic, i think i understad that is the plan. There weren't too much a different between batmowheel and the stock hx compressor of I'm not mistaken

I know a better IC was in the plan and taking weight off wouldnt hurt but I just wanted to know what they are expecting the difference to be changing the wheel back. I'm just assuming they want to make some type of record with the 6blade cast wheel or have some type of comparison between the two wheels.

Are you expecting to see better numbers from the 7blade batmowheel to the cast 6blade wheel?
BatMoWheels are 6-blade; we're not out to prove anything aside from shutting up the asshats that think the only reason the car is where it's at is because of the aftermarket compressor...so back to the stock stuff. ;)

BatMoWheels are 6-blade; we're not out to prove anything aside from shutting up the asshats that think the only reason the car is where it's at is because of the aftermarket compressor...so back to the stock stuff. ;)

Do I recall you saying the batmowheel actually logged less total Lb/min than the 6 blade cast wheel as well?

Can't say for sure as the turbo and intercooler were changed at the same time. Both turbos have logged above 70 lb/min when the 6-blade cast turbo had a non-leaky intercooler attached to it...I just don't know the specifics anymore as this was two seasons ago. :p

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back