The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Holset Turbos, PART 9

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doubt they'd have any interest. The majority of their housings are cast from two sizes- .55 and .70, and those are used on a variety of turbo brands. The idea that they R&D then cast an entirely new housing to fit only a HX52 to sell one or two a month is crazy.

Regarding a lighter housing, see this and the posts which follow:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/tur...-lb-min-turbo-discussion-3.html#post152980134

i have seen on there site they have been making v-band housings for there Borg Warner turbos and i believe the gt42s

http://www.bullseyepower.com/seepicture.asp?b=2&bc=99

http://www.bullseyepower.com/seepicture.asp?b=1&bc=86

I've been using this calculator to help with making the calculations quick and easy. RB Racing Turbo Boost and Airflow Calculator

That calculator puts out some goofy numbers.. none of which match the results of any of the combos I've used in the past.

Plugging in some super conservative figures for my current setup it tells me I would need -13.x psi boost

If I change displacement, which it claims to require in CID.. from 122 (2.0L) to just 2 CID

Airflow requirement drops 10lbs/min and boost go from -13 (Vacuum) to +20 psi

Considering the paragraph above it is basically mocking those who just cut checks and says the math is a must for engineers.. someone botched that calculator badly. And last I checked 20psi on a T25 is not the same as 20psi on a GT42, so what use is the boost figure it spits out anyways? So, basically its garbage.

I'll stick to hand calc numbers for engine demand flow, BSFC, PR, and charge density as that actually puts out useful numbers ROFL

You'd be better suited playing with the BorgWarner Matchbot:
Performance Turbos | TurboDriven.com - BorgWarner Turbo Systems

I think we need to start up some interest on a bolt on housing for the hx52, im sure BEP would do it if we get enough people for it. Im thinking some thing along the lines of a 90 or A/R housing with a v band inlet. What do you guys think?

I took of the back housing of my hx52 today and boy is it a heavy one.

do all the volvo models bring a 16cm housing ?

Bolt-on GT42 sized turbos? :confused:

Bolt-on GT42 sized turbos? :confused:

Yes for some of us it would be alot better when trying to fit the large rear housing in the tight engine space. I plan to run this in my EVO that is already on a hx40 with a front facing turbo manifold. a v-band in and out housing would greatly help my setup. I also prefer single scroll housing in my cars vs the twin scrolls.

i like the tail housing Idea but i just think its alot of money to fork out for something you have to modify to work.

Have you mocked up your HX52 yet? You need considerable distance between the flange and the head to clear the balance shaft hump.

It's still got an 84mm major diameter wheel, what manifold would this be a "bolt-on" for? Definitely not a stock 1g/2g manifold.. because even rotated 180* towards the passenger side and neglecting the size of the compressor cover, the turbine housing would then hit the radiator if it cleared the block.

At that point its no longer a bold-on either, because now you need to buy a new manifold, downpipe, etc.

A bolt-on large frame turbo, if even possible.. would seem to be like f*cking with just the very tip of your dick, in terms of flow.

That aside, if it's going on a forward facing manifold how are you going to brace that sucker?

Paul V (IIRC) at one point was looking to setup a GT42 V-band housing for the HX52 and because of the wheel size differences it was deemed that it wouldn't work.

Paul V (IIRC) at one point was looking to setup a GT42 V-band housing for the HX52 and because of the wheel size differences it was deemed that it wouldn't work.
It'll work. It was in the link that Justin posted above. Three separate pieces have to be machined to make it fit. The seond of the three is being worked on this week. One more to go, then welding and one last machining step. It definitely turned into a more complicated job than I had anticipated, but it will be worth it in the end.

Have you mocked up your HX52 yet? You need considerable distance between the flange and the head to clear the balance shaft hump.

It's still got an 84mm major diameter wheel, what manifold would this be a "bolt-on" for? Definitely not a stock 1g/2g manifold.. because even rotated 180* towards the passenger side and neglecting the size of the compressor cover, the turbine housing would then hit the radiator if it cleared the block.

At that point its no longer a bold-on either, because now you need to buy a new manifold, downpipe, etc.

A bolt-on large frame turbo, if even possible.. would seem to be like f*cking with just the very tip of your dick, in terms of flow.

That aside, if it's going on a forward facing manifold how are you going to brace that sucker?

FP and other company's have been putting larger tubos wheels in smaller housing for years and that has been working well. the bolt on t3 housing on my hx40 work extremely great and help shaved some weight and place the power band in a area that i found useful personally. In my own personal opinion the hx52 in some sort of V-band housing would provide a great turbo for the drag racer looking for more power. I sadly have reach the limit with hx40 in a bolt on housing so im looking for more.

In what world do you consider a v-band turbine housing "bolt on"? Go buy a dsm 88hta if you want something "bolt on". Asking for anything larger in a bolt on turbo is stupid. Even the 88hta is being restricted by the bolt on housing so why try to stuff something even larger in there when you will never see the full potential because you insist on making it "bolt on"?

The HX40 "limit" in the BEP housings is ~680awhp... you've made that much?

The T3 housing is not a "bolt-on" housing.

You seem to have your vernacular confused.

The .55 A/R DSM Flange is the bolt-on housing.. because you can bolt the turbo onto a stock manifold and down pipe.

The T3 housing is not a "bolt-on" just because it can be exchange with the other turbine housings. You still need a new manifold, custom 4-bolt or V-band downpipe, external wastegate, etc.

If you want a bolt-on housing for an HX52, GT4202, or S400sx.. you should get a smaller turbo ROFL

Im running 40psi spike on a super hx40 with a BEP t3 housing, i think you didn't read the part that this is on a EVO8. The car has a forward facing manifold with the super hx40 on a 2.4L. I need more turbo for this setup im hitting 40psi and it tapers down to 34 no matter what i do raise the boost add a boost control solenoid , use both the boost solenoid and a manual inline i still have the same thing going on.

the holset rear housing is very heavy. the vband outlet in my opinion is to large. It would be much easier to work with a turbo that has a vband turbo inlet since it would not need a gasket and can be rotated to fit much better.

i dont get why your so against something like trying to get a vband housing that can be lighter and used with the hx52 to have a better fit in any car

Amazing.

We are both typing in english, and yet it's like we speak different languages.

My only contention was with your apparent misunderstanding of the term "bolt-on" in this context. I am more than familiar with how heavy the HX52 hotside is. I have two of them.

As for your 2.4 Evo, if IATs aren't going through the roof, and power is not nose.. diving boost could be falling off simply because the engine demand flow is catching up. What mass flow are you seeing up top?

You are not necessarily out of turbo.

Hey guys, couldn't find an answer for this throughout the interwebz so it's probably not going to work... does anyone know if I can bolt a holset H1C up to a Garrett Gt45R exhaust housing? Ive done a meticulous search with no luck. Thanks for replies in advance!

OK I'm not sure if I should post this in here or just make my own thread, but I thought why not I will just post it in here since it concerns a holset. I'm installing an 8 blade HX-40 with the 18cm2 T-4 Twin Scroll Housing on a Redjack Racing T/S manifold. I have the turbo in engine bay with everything connected and I'm starting to connect my intercooler piping this is where my question is.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
With the way the turbo is placed it puts it pretty close to the radiator and right over the front crossmember, if I clock the compressor housing anymore I am afraid it is going to throw off the connecting of the hot pipe to the compressor. The way it looks i can trim the bottom fan mount on the radiator and be ok (im planning on mounting my fans as pushers), is that ok to do modifying the mount that is? Also what size is the outlet on the hx-40 compressor cover.

Hey fellas.. just wanted to kind of ask/share some numbers from todays little tuning session I did..

7 blade hx35 stock housing
Redjack twin scroll manifold
93 oct pump gas

Saw full boost in a 3rd gear pull at 4480rpm
24.8 psi falling to 22.9 by redline.

48 lb/min

Thoughts??!

Airmail Ive got Redjack manifold as well. When I bolted up my holset I had to trim my front engine mount crossmember to get my coupler to clear it. However it looks like you have a ton more room than I had to work with. Being you have a 1g Im not all too sure how close everything really is. As for your question though, itd be ok to trim that fan mount and use pusher fans..

I want to keep turning the boost up. However today when I was out messing with it the clutch slipped a bit as soon as I hit full boost. So I called it a day. Not sure if it was due to being too much for the clutch or it just being a bit warm from doing several previous pulls.. I made two pulls at that same boost level so Im leaning towards it getting a tad warm. Also take note this is on 93oct pump gas. LOL

Also, whats up with my spool time? almost 4500 rpm on a twin scroll mani and stock housing?!?! Is that right?

I want to keep turning the boost up. However today when I was out messing with it the clutch slipped a bit as soon as I hit full boost. So I called it a day. Not sure if it was due to being too much for the clutch or it just being a bit warm from doing several previous pulls.. I made two pulls at that same boost level so Im leaning towards it getting a tad warm. Also take note this is on 93oct pump gas. LOL

Also, whats up with my spool time? almost 4500 rpm on a twin scroll mani and stock housing?!?! Is that right?

Thats right where mine was. I had big primary's like you do. But I also think that the number everyone quotes are a bit optimistic.

I'm hitting 36-37 psi about 100 rpms later than you're hitting full boost. I run 60% E-85 which does speed spool time from what I understand. I'm logging about 53-54 lb/min, and I think that's gonna be about it in the T3 .63 A/R housing I'm running. My boost tapers to 30-32 psi by 8k. I'm curious to see your airflow numbers if/when you push it up to 30-35 psi! I'm thinking about switching to the stock housing or the .70 AR Vband housing.

Last edited by a moderator:
It'll probably be next season before I get those numbers. Id really like to stay on pump gas as long as I can and see what I can get out of it. E85 is pretty available around here but from what I hear the "best" e85 in my area is all the way across town... D: LOL

This winter I plan to rewire my fuel pump and maybe run a larger return line. Possibly invest in some larger injectors!!

Did you port the stock housing by any chance? The flanges that most people build exhaust manifolds with (CNC machined) do not usually match the flange on the stock housing (cast).

Example..
Turbo gasket lined up on manifold flange:

Turbo gasket lined up on stock housing (unported):

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back