The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Holset Turbos, PART 7

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check out my ad in the Freelance section for more details.
Yeah i read through your ad. When I'm ready to send it to you, should i just PM you to get your address to mail it to? I'm guessing one could paypal your the rebuild cost as well?

My business is based on good customer service, honesty, prompt service as well. I'm only one guy, and occasionally I'm faced with doing 5-6 rebuilds over the course of a weekend....but I'll stay in the shop until 3am if I have to in order to get the job done.

Wow, you don't see this too much anymore, sounds like great work ethic, Justin your one of very few left. I emailed Punishment racing AND left them messages on their FB about a week ago, NO response what so ever. Not to mention the handful of guys on the Cummins forum that never replied to my inquires about their holsets for sale in their classifieds for over a week. What is with people?! Good thing i wasn't in a rush to get my car back together like some people are.

Justin thanks for you quick replies, knowledge base and helping out us all in the DSM community. Thanks man!

Travis

Im looking to convert my 8 blade HX40 Bep .55a/r from internal to extnernal using a MVS rec o2 housing and 38mm Tial MVS wg. I plan on porting the housing to get some extra flow out of it. But I was wondering on spring pressure. Would a 20psi spring do the trick? I plan to run 23-24psi for now, then up to 30psi after a rebuild and meth/02 injection.

I would like the option to have a wide boost area from say 20-35psi and was wondering if I should just use a stronger spring or not. Oh and MBC is a Joe p.

Yeah i read through your ad. When I'm ready to send it to you, should i just PM you to get your address to mail it to? I'm guessing one could paypal your the rebuild cost as well?
That would be the thing to do. I probably get 6-8 PM's daily for rebuild quotes; probably 6-8 more with tech questions from noobs. :p I'll respond to your PM as quickly as possible.

Generally the funds are Paypaled to me after the turbo has been received at my shop and been deemed rebuildable for the price quote given. Occasionally I'll get something in that someone said has "a little shaft play" and the shaft flops like a limp dick, trashing both wheels.

I'm taking my car to TPG for a Speed Density/E85 tune in a few weeks and I need to know what injectors I should use to max out my HX40pro. I'm currently on PTE 1200s but I'm consdering FIC bluemax 1650s or perhaps DeatschWerks 1600s but I've heard that many people have trouble with anything larger than 1450s if they ever need to run pump gas. How much power can I eek out of my 1200cc/dual 255 setup? If I do need to upgrade injectors to max out this turbo on E85 which one's can I use without a driver and still get decent idle and driveability if I ever need to run pump gas?

Keep in mind that diesel gases are colder and, thus, denser. Therefore whatever lb/min flow through the compressor, more can get through the turbine because the temp of the gases prevent so much expansion. The very reason why diesel motors need smaller faster spooling turbines, or those with better efficiency (twinscroll) is the same reason why they CAN be smaller and still flow alot more mass.

Too many around the sport compact relm are too far off with the characteristics of a "diesel" turbo. They don't understand that considering the size of the motors involved, the hotside is build VERY small because of VERY low peak rpms and VERY much colder exhaust gases used. When they see 18cm^2 with an h1c, they don't see "twinscroll" and "non-wastegated".

All that is absolutely correct, Matt, but I allways felt that HX-40 turbine wheel is bigger, than needed.. Or the opposite--comp. wheel is a bit small..... For that size turbine...

On a turbo like GT-35R, comp. wheel is so so like the HX-40 size/ 61,4-82--compared to --60-85//, but turbine wheel is smaller and flows less...

Remember some time ago, I think/not sure/, I posted some link to some company in Asia and they had a HX-45, which had HX-40 turbine and something like 63/85-6mm comp. wheel. This is what I relly feel would be the right size turbo..:D:D

I am pretty sure, that a Hybrid like HX-40 CHRA, but with HX-52 comp wheel will have much better results..

I'm taking my car to TPG for a Speed Density/E85 tune in a few weeks and I need to know what injectors I should use to max out my HX40pro. I'm currently on PTE 1200s but I'm consdering FIC bluemax 1650s or perhaps DeatschWerks 1600s but I've heard that many people have trouble with anything larger than 1450s if they ever need to run pump gas. How much power can I eek out of my 1200cc/dual 255 setup? If I do need to upgrade injectors to max out this turbo on E85 which one's can I use without a driver and still get decent idle and driveability if I ever need to run pump gas?

Depends on IDC, fuel pressure and voltage...

BUT I've seen with my eyes LAMBO Gallardo/ you know V-10 twin turbinesLOLLOLLOLLOL/, nicely putting around850-900+++ WHP with DUAL Wallbro's 255/ the exact same ones a lot of guys have on their DSM's..
So you'll be maxing out the turbo way before you max the pumps I think......
You might even get away with 1200's..
Better try first, but have bigger injectors ready. So if you need replace them at the dyno, if not needed, return them/they still will be brand new/.. GL...

Last edited:
Where is this freelancer section people keep talking about it, i've looked 3 times and I can't find it anywhere.

You might even get away with 1200's..
Better try first, but have bigger injectors ready. So if you need replace them at the dyno, if not needed, return them/they still will be brand new/.. GL...

Thanks for the suggestion, I agree, but I need to know what brand and size injectors I should use if I need to go bigger in order to max out the HX40pro (or potentially a bigger turbo in the future) on E85? If 1600s will drive and idle OK on E85 with occasional pump gas use without an injector driver then I'll probably just go ahead and buy another set. I would rather just go all out and get more injector than I need now so I never have to buy them again (this will be my third set of injectors so apparently I should have just gone big in the first place and gotten it over with). If I did my homework correctly, the HX40pro should be maxed out around roughly 69 lbs per min and it looks like I will need around 33% larger injectors than standard pump or race gas to run E85. Have any of you guys used the bluemax 1650s or DeatchWerks 1600s?

Last edited:
i have pte 1600's and 280's and a blocked off fiav and isc on pump 91 and my car idles on cold starts. but i do have it set to closed loop under 1500 rpms via ecmlink

So a little disappointed. You can see a picture of the turbo I won in the link here--->01 DODGE CUMMINS 24V DSL REBUILDABLE HX35W TURBO CORE : eBay Motors (item 300414436184 end time Apr-09-10 16:36:04 PDT)

and here are some pictures of the turbo that i received. Looks similar, but not the one in the pictures that i had bid on and I'm not sure if it's even a HX-35w like i thought i was bidding on??? Even if it is still a HX i'm still kinda ticked off that he sold me something different than what was pictured :banghead: Please ignore the 80's brown shag carpet. Can someone identify this turbo...

Attachments

• top of turbo 1.jpg
    top of turbo 1.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 711
  • compressor housing with ruler.jpg
    compressor housing with ruler.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 713
  • wastegate assembly stock.jpg
    wastegate assembly stock.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 717
  • stock turbine inlet with ruler.jpg
    stock turbine inlet with ruler.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 698
  • stock turbine housing.jpg
    stock turbine housing.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 712
Here are a few more pics i took. I removed the silencer ring to help identify the turbo if that helps any of you all. Unlike the one in the ebay ad the only blue holset ID sticker is on the waste gate actuator and doesn't say anything like HIC, HX35, or HE etc. Here are some more pics I took.

isnt it the wh1c it has a v band center right?

It does in deed have a v-band on the CHRA
can anyone confirm? What should i do since i recieved something different that what i was bidding on? I mean it was listed as a HX35w and he said it came off of a 2001 3500 Cummins Dually with a standard trans which should make it a 7 blade HX35w i thought. So what the hell is this turbo i got in the mail :confused:

Attachments

• comperssor inlet with out silencer ring.jpg
    comperssor inlet with out silencer ring.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 652
  • ruler on stock turbine outlet area.jpg
    ruler on stock turbine outlet area.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 669
  • stock compressor outlet with ruler.jpg
    stock compressor outlet with ruler.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 678
  • oil feel stock.jpg
    oil feel stock.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 673
  • oil drain hole empty.jpg
    oil drain hole empty.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 685
  • stock turbine housing outlet.jpg
    stock turbine housing outlet.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 701
  • wastegate assembly close up.jpg
    wastegate assembly close up.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 656
Hy35: Open scroll, vband chra-turbine connection.

No, will not work with the bolton housing at all. Same compressor wheel as the 7blade hx35, but unless you plan on going t3, this turbo is not an option.

Guy completely lied and even took the time to find a pic of a 7blade hx35 to upload, not an 8blade hx35, just to get it close. You didn't get your shipment at all. Someone shipped you a random turbo completely not related to the sale above. Tell Paypal you're still waiting on your turbo.

Hy35 and 7blade hx35 both flow 60lb/min at the compressor, same compressor: 7765AX. The hy35 has a smaller turbine wheel, but forces you to use the lareger 9cm^2 t3 turbine housing and t3 manifold; instead of using the smaller bolton housing with the larger hx35 turbine wheel.

Hy35: Open scroll, vband chra-turbine connection.

No, will not work with the bolton housing at all. Same compressor wheel as the 7blade hx35, but unless you plan on going t3, this turbo is not an option.

Guy completely lied and even took the time to find a pic of a 7blade hx35 to upload, not an 8blade hx35, just to get it close. You didn't get your shipment at all. Someone shipped you a random turbo completely not related to the sale above. Tell Paypal you're still waiting on your turbo.

But if he even sold me the same turbo as the one in the description (holset off of a 2001 Dodge Cummins 3500 dually with a standard trans) wouldn't that still be a HX35 and not the HY35 that came on the automatic diesels?

Also, should i mention to Paypal that i received the WRONG turbo, cause if they talk to him, he will tell them that he mailed it out. I received "A" turbo just not the one described OR pictured in his ad. Thanks for your support already. Do you think i should send him a message through ebay?

BTW, i am looking to run a BEP .55 bolt on housing "on a HX35" with external gate off the o2.

Pm me if you want to sell it cheap i hope. I dont want to go bolt on housing LOL

I'd rather have a hx35 than cash. I've been through a lot of work trying to get one and here it's not what i bid on.

Nope standard trans has the hx35 not the hy35. Tell paypal nothing but you asked for an hx35 and no, ZERO, hx35 was sent out. ZERO turbo from a manual trans 01 cummins. . . Let them deal with the rest. They are jerking YOU around if they say "well the part was shipped, it's up to you to make the seller ship the right part". The part WAS NOT SHIPPED. End of story. Period. Bottem line. Your conscience is clear. You can negotiate with the seller who gave you something else for free. But that's NOT a part of the original contract with him. That's the point. Contract wasn't fulfilled. Take the money back and offer the seller a return of the turbo for the right turbo.

That makes sense. Thanks Matt, i sent the seller a message on ebay tonight so hopefully by next week i will hear something back. His ebay store is nothing but Cummins Turbo Diesel parts, so i actually believe that there is a chance that the turbo was mixed up with the correct one. Or more likely, he advertised the turbo for what he thought it was and sold me something different by accident. Or third option, he just shafted me. The turbo is in fact in great shape, but i'll be running a BEP bolt on .55 housing and this wont work. I'll wait to see if he sends me back a message and then i'll contact Paypal if he ignores me for he next week or more. Thanks for your support and advice!
Travis

He told me to mail it back to the shipping lables address. In his next email he gave me his phone # so i'm going to call him up and get more info from this guy. I'll keep you guys updated on my long quest to actually get an HX35. I actually have the $ but no one will sell me theirs!

I actually have the $ but no one will sell me theirs!
I try to stock at least (2) HX35 cores at all times. Once rebuilt they would cost a little more than what most want to pay, but it would be like getting a brand new HX35.

Well worth it in my opinion! :thumb:
I think so too.

Sometimes I tear these cores down and there's nothing wrong with them- they could've been run right out of the box....but most of the time there is some evidence of bearing wear, and almost always evidence of a leaking turbine seal. Obviously the cores turbos were removed from the vehicle they were used on for some reason- high miles, hard life, smoking, etc.

and almost always evidence of a leaking turbine seal. Obviously the cores turbos were removed from the vehicle they were used on for some reason- high miles, hard life, smoking, etc.

Justin or anybody, could you describe the turbine seal a little bit? I mean, is it really a seal that contacts the shaft, or is it more like a labyrinth, or a flinger, or what? I've never had one apart. If it actually contacts the shaft, then what material is the contacting part made from? And if it contacts the shaft, there would be some drag from it, right?

Last edited:
I try to stock at least (2) HX35 cores at all times. Once rebuilt they would cost a little more than what most want to pay, but it would be like getting a brand new HX35.

Justin, Can you PM me a price for one of your NEWish HX35s and also a price to rebuild one.

The guy that sent me the HY35 said the only HX35 he has laying around is some what rough but i'll have to see it when it comes in. Since he botched the sale, he's going to refund my money and only charge me $50 for the hx, but again, he said its in rough shape, but he said the shaft has very minimal play. Think the oil seal might be bad as well. This is the turbo i would need rebuilt if i went that route. I'll have to judge if it's worth rebuilding once it arrives later this week. Thanks Justin,

Travis

Justin or anybody, could you describe the turbine seal a little bit? I mean, is it really a seal that contacts the shaft, or is it more like a labyrinth, or a flinger, or what? I've never had one apart. If it actually contacts the shaft, then what material is the contacting part made from? And if it contacts the shaft, there would be some drag from it, right?

Its like a piston ring.
There are pictures here.
Turbo Rebuild
And better ones here.
Why does my GT smoke when the oil seals in the head and the rings are fine?- Answered - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back