The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Turbo Fp Green/hta68 variations and spooltimes

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91Eclipse GSX

Probationary Member
Jan 6, 2017
ionia, Michigan
Ive read a good majority of the posts comparing these turbos and spool times im aware spool is greatly dependent on the rest of the setup.Most say if they have old school green or green xl othewise its just Fp green.I assuming most others are talking about the Fp green 73htA 54lb per minute. But how does the 73htA compare to the current version of the green the 73htZ rated at 57lbs. Obviously the 73htZ is good in theory for 30hp but are the spool times between the two the same one quicker then the other? FP website says its the 73htZ wheel in one area the then 73htA. But im guessing theres a difference to gain the 3lbs per minute. And they havent adjusted website yet. Also the newly listed hta68 v3 on holiday sale hows spool compare to v2. Might be the same turbo just mhi 8cm turbine housing vs v2 with fp 8cm turbine housing? My thoughts are my ideal turbo is Fp hta68v1 but since it no longer made I was looking into v2 but the general consensus is it spool much slower then v1. The v2 spool similar to a green a little faster but the green is good for alot more power so im getting convenced to go green. Also know the hx35 is very popular but I do Not want to run a hx35 for multiple reasons. Mainly looking for spool times or technical data between the hta68 v2 vs v3 and the green 73htA vs 73htZ. Thanks

Parts already purchased fp manifold punishment o2 housing etc. When I did consider hx35 I looked into a twinscroll for for quickest spools it adds alot to the cost. Could run it in a BEP but the fitment isnt to my liking from what Ive seen and in BEP housing seem to put the spool times just little quicker then a fp green. This engine Bay will be clean. To install a hx35 in a very clean manner while maintaining two decent size fans. Is alot of custom work and very time consuming. Seems tubular manifolds all crack eventually especially with the weight of hx35. None of these individual steer me away but when you start adding them together and how clean Id install it the cost and time makes a "bolt on" turbo seem much simpler and cheaper. Im not opposed to a non "bolt on" turbo. If it completely spools quicker then a fp green and has similar power lvls and fitment is better then a hx35. Within a similar price range to a hta68 or green

68HTA V3? Seems like they got the best of both v1 and v2. From their description: The Forced Performance 6851S for DSM is the quickest spooling turbo we've ever produced for the DSM platform.
If it spools faster than the v1 7cm but uses the 8cm housing, seems pretty nuts if you're looking for spool. I don't think my drivetrain would appreciate it though.

If it indeed spools faster then a v1 and has the Same power as v2 Ill take the advantage of the sale. Seem to good to be true if using the same 68hta wheel. Think v2 used to say it was the quickest spooling turbo they ever made at one time. Maybe v1 had to mhi parts to claim it as quickest spooling they ever produced?. Ill be contacting fp either way for more details during the week.

You're not going to find much info on user-specific spool times for the V3 version of the 68HTA much less comparison between that and the previous two versions. It's literally a month or two old. Things to consider...the V1 68HTA uses a 49mm TD05H turbine; the V2 uses a 54mm TF06 turbine. Both turbines are currently available anywhere MHI turbocharger parts are sold. The V3 uses a 51mm FP-specific turbine so you're at the mercy of the builder for part availability and price should anything happen (like passing a plug porcelain or ground strap).

There will be no noticeable difference in spool or response between the HTA and HTZ compressor aero. The design difference is minuscule, and the typical user will never notice a difference unless they're running it to the ragged edge . Spool time is controlled mainly by turbine wheel size, mass, and housing a/r when discussing two turbos with identical compressor wheel specs. https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/hta-vs-htz-whats-the-difference.509826/

At this point I'm not even recommending a HX35 in the .55 Bullseye housing any longer as those housings are currently not in new production and seem to be very difficult to find used. Although given your search for a reliable 52-55 lb/min turbo with excellent spool and response, it would be a fantastic option. Very durable and inexpensive to service as well.

If you've already purchased a FP Race Manifold for use on a 68HTA and spool/response is your #1 concern, return it and run a ported 2G or Evo III manifold with the flow divider still intact. A large-runner, merged-collector race manifold is not going to match your desired powerband well.

If you've already purchased a FP Race Manifold for use on a 68HTA and spool/response is your #1 concern, return it and run a ported 2G or Evo III manifold with the flow divider still intact. A large-runner, merged-collector race manifold is not going to match your desired powerband well.
This is what I've done and would definitely recommend. I've had a 2g manifold, EVO III, FP Race, and tubular and my favorite by far was the EVO III. It can handle my HTA68 just fine and spool is quick. They're no longer available new and hard to find so I picked up an EVO II manifold which seems to be the same or similar enough?

They're no longer available new and hard to find so I picked up an EVO II manifold which seems to be the same or similar enough?
Not sure on the casting of that specific model, but there are a couple different JDM manifold versions which comes with a 60mm collector just like the Evo III manifold except they're cast in D2 opposed to F5 so they'll eventually crack just like a 2G manifold (Galant, RVR, etc). The true F5 Evo III casting doesn't crack...or at least not very easily.

Awesome Greatly appreciate all the info everyone. Fp manifold is new in the box but I bought it many years ago on sale too good to pass up. First part I ever bought for the car not the most ideal for the rest of the build. May run it while looking for a evoIII manifold sounds like its well worth looking for one. Probably still beneficial on a fp green too?. Hope to get a call into fp tommorow. But whats everyone thoughts for spool on v3 68hta? Strictly from the specs sounds to me like it would spool somewhere in between v1 and v2. Great point on the rebuilding of the v3 68hta. Possibly another hard to find part in the future on the DSM :banghead:

The FP Race Manifold doesn't really begin to be beneficial until something the size of a Red or larger, and even then it would depend heavily on how the turbo is being used. They were designed to support large-frame stock-fitment turbos, not to be a suitable replacement for a stock manifold. The mismatch would be likened to running 280 cams on a 14B car...the useful range of the part is outside of the target powerband of the turbo so it ends up hurting more than it helps.

Unpopular opinion...the V2 68HTA should never have existed. That turbo should have always come with a TD05H turbine in a 7cm2 housing and been marketed as a 16G with a compressor upgrade, while the Green (which uses the same 8cm2 turbine housing and TF06 turbine as the V2 68HTA) should have been offered with either a stock-appearing or 84mm downfiring compressor housing option leaving the fitment choice up to the buyer's preference. There's just not enough difference between the V2 68HTA and Green for a typical user.

I emailed FP about the new V3 and apparently it uses one of the Xona UHF turbine wheels. They expect spool to be close to the V1.
From the conversation:
"The V3 uses our newest turbine technology which is the UHF turbine wheel. It is slightly smaller than the standard FP54 turbine we use in the V2 so it will spool slightly faster, but the design of the wheel helps to decrease choke in the upper RPM range."
"Yes, spool on these would be very similar to the V1 since it is a smaller wheel, similar the the TD05H used in the V1. The upper range would be better since the 51S wheel would not choke the turbo in the upper RPM range. "

I'll be looking into getting a new manifold depending on route . I'd defiantly run the Fp Green over v2 68hta from what I've read and had reconfirmed. V2 seem to be just for the sleeper guys or max hp out a relatively stock appearing turbo. The v3 has my interest. Believe the v3 uses the 8cm2 housing still.has some positive to it but hurts spool over a 7cm2. Probably too new and to similar for any real world results comparing it to a green or let alone v1 or v2 as mentioned. I dont think most expected v2 to spool as slow as it actually did compared to v1. Sounds like fp may got it now. I just much prefer v3 to spool much closer to a v1 then to v2. If I can convinced it is nearly as quick as v1. The interest increases. Buddy might have a hx35 might be h1c not sure. Might borrow it merely to get a better visualization On fitment and fab. Dont think it'll change my mind but never say never I suppose

You are correct on the V3 using the 8cm housing. I think what they are trying to do with the V3 in theory, assuming it works, is compelling (faster spool over V2 but similar flow). V3 is still rated for 51 lbs/min just as the V2 was. V1 was rated at 47 lbs/min. Most criticism on the V2 was concerning the spool vs the V1. I look at what they are doing with the V3 as an attempt to combine the best of both the V1 and V2 in one package by using newer xona turbine technology. How that turns out is yet to be seen but it’s certainly intriguing..

Last edited:
You are correct on the V3 using the 8cm housing. I think what they are trying to do with the V3 in theory, assuming it works, is compelling (faster spool over V2 but similar flow). V3 is still rated for 51 lbs/min just as the V2 was. V1 was rated at 47 lbs/min. Most criticism on the V2 was concerning the spool vs the V1.
V1 with HTZ compressor aero (the short run that was made using MHI Small 16G's two years ago) were rated at 49 lb/min, agreeing with the +/- 2 lb/min claimed gain that other HTZ compressors had over their predecessor. I think I'd still take the TD05H turbine in a 7cm2 housing if it were me.

It is very intriguing. My thoughts at the moment with everyones info and input given on the v3 is is its still going to spool a fair amount slower then v1. Marginally faster then v2. Which pushes me toward the Green. One thing with the Green I have a very good idea what id get. The v3 I might be pleasantly surprised with if went that route but if it didnt spool as I hoped id be disappointed That I didnt sacrifice a little more spool but in turn have a bit more more potential.

New contender the Fp Green UHF 57s uses a JB version turbine from xona rotor. Did some digging into the UHF technology seems impressive in terms of keeping both spool and efficiency high. And some claims xona make about UHF technology are equally impressive. The turbine wheel is a larger in the fp green UHF 64/57 vs 60.8/54 on the 73htz. Might be a weight penalty to hurt spool not sure on blade count and difference in blade design vs fp turbine design. But it might not be the UHF "splitter" blade design. Should cut down on mass vs all full blades. Also would a larger turbine wheel turn easier and potential spool faster as it has more surface area to push on in the fp green application. Or would the opposite happen in the exhaust volume would need to be greater to turn the larger wheel and possible spool slower?

Time will tell. They raved about the HTZ tech vs. HTA as well, and nothing there was overly-impressive. At the end of the day only so much exhaust can fit through a 49mm, 51mm, 54mm, or 57mm hole no matter what the turbine wheel looks like.

FP completely reinvents their lineup every 5 years or so...it's how they continue to sell turbos on dying markets like ours. They're not going to do anything that makes marketing our turbos inconvenient to them in the sense that they'll never have four or five different turbine housings or wheels offered to work best with every compressor package. Something will always be adapted.

If you want my honest opinion, you're thinking about this too much. Let's not forget guys like Kevin Jewer were making 48-49 lb/min with a cast 20G on a plain 58mm TD06H turbine in a 7cm2 housing two decades ago...completely blowing past the end of the compressor map for that compressor.

Probably am over thinking it but I like knowing what Im getting and never questioning it later. Ask the questions upfront and know what your getting into or have the best idea of it as there will defiantly alway be some unknowns on new setups. .But the xona UHF has promising results in the BB xona turbos. Hopefully the results are just as good in the DSM variations. Fp red also got UHF. There is defiantly plenty of proven setups with real results. These new variations did defiantly get me thinking though as I wasn't expecting anything new to come to the DSMs for that exact reason of many proven set ups.

Summary of my call with Fp. Regarding the UHF Green might spool a little slower then normal Green as it has a larger turbine wheel. But the UHF version would have a much broader power curve do the the more efficient wheel. They were pretty confident the 68hta v3 would spool as fast if not faster then V1 with 7cm. Didnt talk as much in depth about v3 power curve but should also benefit from a broader curve.

Time will tell on actual results. But I think the potential is defiantly there. Thank you all for your input and time much appreciated:rocks:.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back