The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

HTA68 vs HTA Green

HTA68 or HTA Green?

• HTA68

Votes: 28 54.9%
  • HTA Green

Votes: 23 45.1%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Man i've never seen so much hate on this forum before LOL
Ya great forum. "oh you're not sure about the next step and want some help/opinions/advice? Just sell your car because it and you are worthless". Good job guys I'll just give my transportation away and only get pennies on the dollar back for the money invested. Sounds like a common sense move...:ohdamn: I'll just give my house away when I'm unsure what paint color to use as well since that will also render me and my house worthless...

Man i've never seen so much hate on this forum before LOL

Anybody have an opinion on what I was saying? That if a E3 or big 16g was converted to a 20g, it would spool faster then a normal 20g and have the same flow?

Or better yet, has anyone personally had or have one currently? Not a 20g but a 16g converted to a 20g?

I currently have a 20g conversion and was seeing spool around 3800 rpm's. But I do not have a means to tune so im limited to 15 psi. I also spun a bearing shortly after installation so I didn't get to drive it much. Im hoping that my current build route will help spool times slightly but I wasn't overly unimpressed with it. Seems like a solid platform the one day I drove on it.... :rolleyes:

My whole point is if you wanted to get the most out of the turbo and cams it would lead to be more beneficial in the end with a port.

The stock 1G head ports area already arguably too large for most power levels. More and more people are switching to 2G heads these days. There have been countless stories of people with ported heads that had to pull a head between rounds, put on a stock head, and ran just as quick. Also, look at EVO heads. They're essentially the same as a 2G head design and they're making well over 700whp untouched. Velocity beats hogged out runners, people like Kiggly and Curt Brown who run 2G heads on their race cars are still running the 2G port size.

Anybody have an opinion on what I was saying? That if a E3 or big 16g was converted to a 20g, it would spool faster then a normal 20g and have the same flow?

Or better yet, has anyone personally had or have one currently? Not a 20g but a 16g converted to a 20g?

If you convert a 16g to a 20g, you'll have a 20g. I'm not following your logic as to why it would spool or flow any differently than a 20g that came from MHI that way. The things that would affect it are differences in turbine wheels, for example if the converted 16g had an unclipped 05H wheel and the 20g had a clipped wheel or an 06H wheel. Also, if the 16g had a 6/7cm housing and the 20g had an 8/10cm housing, that would have an effect. Lastly, if you had a 16g converted to a 20g and kept a TD05H compressor housing, it would have different characteristics than a 20g in a TD06 compressor housing.

carvinbassplyr said:
I DD my car and fall more to the auto-x/street course driving style so spool time coming out of the corners is crucial to me, but I don't want to sacrifice more top end than I have to.

From your description of what you're looking for, I think the HTA68 is more appropriate. It can easily make 350whp without pushing it on pump gas. From your mod list, the head/cam/intake combo you run is about perfect. Based on the post above from FP, if they're not currently making any HTA68s, the 71mm wheel with an 05H turbine wheel sounds like a nice option as well. I ran something very similar on my EVO, the BBK Lite made by Blouch for CBRD. I made 409whp on 93 with it. What are you running for an intercooler? I don't see anything listed. Also, are you running speed density?

The stock 1G head ports area already arguably too large for most power levels. More and more people are switching to 2G heads these days. There have been countless stories of people with ported heads that had to pull a head between rounds, put on a stock head, and ran just as quick. Also, look at EVO heads. They're essentially the same as a 2G head design and they're making well over 700whp untouched. Velocity beats hogged out runners, people like Kiggly and Curt Brown who run 2G heads on their race cars are still running the 2G port size.

If you convert a 16g to a 20g, you'll have a 20g. I'm not following your logic as to why it would spool or flow any differently than a 20g that came from MHI that way. The things that would affect it are differences in turbine wheels, for example if the converted 16g had an unclipped 05H wheel and the 20g had a clipped wheel or an 06H wheel. Also, if the 16g had a 6/7cm housing and the 20g had an 8/10cm housing, that would have an effect. Lastly, if you had a 16g converted to a 20g and kept a TD05H compressor housing, it would have different characteristics than a 20g in a TD06 compressor housing.

From your description of what you're looking for, I think the HTA68 is more appropriate. It can easily make 350whp without pushing it on pump gas. From your mod list, the head/cam/intake combo you run is about perfect. Based on the post above from FP, if they're not currently making any HTA68s, the 71mm wheel with an 05H turbine wheel sounds like a nice option as well. I ran something very similar on my EVO, the BBK Lite made by Blouch for CBRD. I made 409whp on 93 with it. What are you running for an intercooler? I don't see anything listed. Also, are you running speed density?
a punishment racing fmic is ready and waiting for the new turbo. (figured I'd do it all at once). Not running speed density currently, still using the 2G maf. A little disappointed that FP already discontinued the 68HTA...

Another Evo with a bastard 20g advocate here

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

11psi by 3200rpm in 3rd gear

16psi by 3800rpm in 3rd gear

22psi by 3800rpm in 3rd gear

This is on my Evo3 with

9.3:1 CR 2.0L
Stock port head with OEM Evo 8 valves, valvesprings, retainers and lifters with HKS 272/280* cams
Self made unequal length twin scroll manifold (1.5" sch40 mild steel weld el's)
Evo x stock TD05 turbo with 20g compressor wheel
3" TBE
AGP 24x12x3.5 front mount with short route 2.5" piping
Stock intake manifold, 63mm throttle body

My top end does fall off a little but this is an AWESOME setup for auto cross as the tq is available everywhere I need it. It does appear to fall off in power after 6700-6800rpm

Another Evo with a bastard 20g advocate here

11psi by 3200rpm in 3rd gear

16psi by 3800rpm in 3rd gear

22psi by 3800rpm in 3rd gear

This is on my Evo3 with

9.3:1 CR 2.0L
Stock port head with OEM Evo 8 valves, valvesprings, retainers and lifters with HKS 272/280* cams
Self made unequal length twin scroll manifold (1.5" sch40 mild steel weld el's)
Evo x stock TD05 turbo with 20g compressor wheel
3" TBE
AGP 24x12x3.5 front mount with short route 2.5" piping
Stock intake manifold, 63mm throttle body

My top end does fall off a little but this is an AWESOME setup for auto cross as the tq is available everywhere I need it. It does appear to fall off in power after 6700-6800rpm
Now is it a 20G compressor wheel in a Evo compressor housing or a TD05H 20G?

i stand corrected

Now is it a 20G compressor wheel in a Evo compressor housing or a TD05H 20G?

That is a td05h 20g. Any turbo with the td05h turbine, from 14b-18g, that gets a 20g compressor installed, is now a td05h 20g. The way mitsu turbos are named is turbine (td05, td05h, td04 etc), followed by the compressor designation (14b, 13g, 20g etc). You can also run a td06g 20g in a 16g compressor housing, and have a td05h 20g with the downfiring cover.

If you want something in between I can build you a 71HTA w/ an 84MM surge ported compressor cover, 8CM hot side and a 5H wheel.

-Michael
I really like this...basically an HTA TD05H 20G, but with an 8cm housing vs the 7cm. Would be fun to see how that turbo would react/perform!

Another interesting build would be a 20G with down firing cover, billet compressor wheel and clipped TD05H turbine. Should have a more open top end, spool quick with that billet wheel on there and flow some nice air.

Another interesting build would be a 20G with down firing cover, billet compressor wheel and clipped TD05H turbine. Should have a more open top end, spool quick with that billet wheel on there and flow some nice air.

Call Blouch, I'm sure they could build you their 20G-XT even though they don't list it on their site anymore. You can also take a look at MAP's EF1 and EF2 upgrades.

For those of you interested in a 71HTA I'll get you a price monday.

Just and FYI we're still got some Old School Reds for 999$ if you're looking for a bolt up turbo.

-Michael

P.s. Forgive any grammar mistakes I've been drinking.

For those of you interested in a 71HTA I'll get you a price monday.

Just and FYI we're still got some Old School Reds for 999$ if you're looking for a bolt up turbo.

-Michael

P.s. Forgive any grammar mistakes I've been drinking

LOL all is forgivenROFL

BTW, any thing on Justins idea posted earlier? Obviously from a consumer stand point this is a great opportunity for us to still use the 68HTA wheel since its no longer available.
If you're unable to build them new, is there any plan to offer the wheel for sale separately so the buyer can choose to upgrade an existing turbo? Seems like that would be a great opportunity to keep that turbo alive in our platform.

BTW, any thing on Justins idea posted earlier? Obviously from a consumer stand point this is a great opportunity for us to still use the 68HTA wheel since its no longer available.

Or allow people with old 16g's to send them in to be rebuild and converted. They do it with their EVO turbos, I never understood why they wouldn't offer the option for DSMs.

FP Turbo upgrades

Or allow people with old 16g's to send them in to be rebuild and converted. They do it with their EVO turbos, I never understood why they wouldn't offer the option for DSMs.

FP Turbo upgrades

I called about this a few months ago, while my turbo was out expecting to ship it out to them. Spoke to a guy who said they no longer do that. When I asked for a reason why, the best answer he could give me was "because we don't do it anymore".

I'll visit on the 68hta upgrade and get back to you guys.

-Michael

I don't see any reason not to take in dsm 16g and 20g turbos and put the evo hta wheels into them. Seems like s win for fp and the customer especially in this economy. I for one would like a tdo5h 20g with a 52-55 pound compressor in it. I have a 68hta right now and it's maxed at 11.0 and 2950 lbs curb weight. I either up the compressor size or spray it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back