The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

FP HTA68, FP2 Cams, & E85

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was planning on making 4 passes and I was changing one thing at a time, I had planned on pulling the headlight but after my clutch was hanging up I called it a night. Not only did I drive the car to the track I drove the car 110 miles to the track, thats a LONG tow.

:dsm:

I was planning on making 4 passes and I was changing one thing at a time, I had planned on pulling the headlight but after my clutch was hanging up I called it a night. Not only did I drive the car to the track I drove the car 110 miles to the track, thats a LONG tow.

I know what thats like... The closest track around here is 97 miles away.

Update for those of you still following this thread...

My HTA68 didn't show signs of surge running 21psi before I went up on the dyno but as soon as we turned it up to 28-29psi it would surge pretty bad when it hit full boost. Thinking it was just something I'd have to live with because of the small TD05 exhaust wheel I didn't do much looking into it. About 2 weeks after the dyno tune I took the car to the track and it started backfiring in the higher RPM's and showing rich (10.5:1) on the WB when on the dyno we tuned it for 11.5:1. Well, the culprit finally reared its ugly head this last month after some 1/8th mile pulls and a good BLT. The turbo started surging just going into boost (no matter the throttle pos.) and I'd go EXTREMELY rich and start backfiring from 4k to 7.5k when I took it to the track. I gave it the BLT that week and found my HKS SSQ bov was opening at 5psi and I'm assuming it had slowly been getting worse possibly even before the dyno. I finally got a Tial Q on there two days ago and did a 40 to 90 third gear pull today and viola! 11.5:1 AFR's, NO SURGE, and my 70-90mph time dropped significantly so its time to get her to the track... TODAY! :)

I'll let everyone know what the outcome is, hopefully I get some better trap speeds at the track since my 70-90mph time when from 2.3secs doing a 3rd gear pull to 1.9secs in the 3rd gear pull I did today with 2psi less boost.

It was in fact the bov that was the culprit for richening up my AFR's and leaking boost at just 5psi, in turn slowing down my E/T's and trap speeds. I made it to the local 1/8th mile track and was having traction problems and still cutting 1.8 60fts.

Here are my timeslips, Dec. 4th the 1/4 mile track is running test and tune and you can bet I'll be up there trying to get that 11 second pass!

1st Run...
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

2nd Run...

Does your boost drop in the higher rpms? Or does it hold to redline?
Just saw that your externally gated. You plan to turn up the boost or is it maxed out
The turbo's maxed at 30psi and boost drops to 25lbs at redline, airflow is at 47 to 48 lbs a min.

Got a picture of me coming off the line last Saturday!

Hoping to see at least 11 with that hta68 maxed out
Shit. If I can cut a 1.7 60ft I better be closer to 11.5's or I'll be disappointed, it would make my LIFE if I get booted off the track for being too fast and not having a roll cage!

I never posted up my 1/4 mile results in here, I created an entirely new thread. Follow the link, the car was good enough for a 11 second pass on street tires, stock transmission, and the stock bottom end.
11.6 @ 121mph

Last edited by a moderator:
Man this makes me happy that I went 11.95 in 17 degree F weather with traction issues cutting 1.8xx 60's..

On a Big 16g (not e3) at 27-28psi. 17* peak timing, e85, stock cams, stock HG with ARP studs...

My buddy has a HTA68 on his WRX and loves it. Spools so smooth/quick..

Man this makes me happy that I went 11.95 in 17 degree F weather with traction issues cutting 1.8xx 60's..

On a Big 16g (not e3) at 27-28psi. 17* peak timing, e85, stock cams, stock HG with ARP studs...

My buddy has a HTA68 on his WRX and loves it. Spools so smooth/quick..

I have a 68HTA on my wrx daily driver now... since I destroyed the stock TD04 ROFL. It's amazing... even without a dyno tune.

Talk about a thread revival, I guess it's o.k. if it's my own personal results thread and I've got a similar list of mods 4 years later. LOL

Quite a bit has been done to the car since I posted this thread but nothing that would significantly increase the horsepower/torque numbers I initially put down on the dyno. Truthfully, all I've really done to help my 1/4 mile time has been weight savings mods and installed an old school td05 BEP 8cm hotside that I had Justin (JusMX141) modify to fit my HTA68. I've also done a few drivetrain mods so it can take the stress of running DR's...

Anyway, back to the results of what this turbo can do with someone behind the wheel that should be piloting a Prius. This last Sunday I was having issues getting off the line and, although I never figured out why my injectors were shutting off as soon as I'd launch, I still made two passes that broke my personal best's with this setup.

Before my PB E/T was an 11.65 @ 121mph and with issues at the track I ran an 11.63 @ 126.33mph. Disappointing but progress is progress and with the issues I had launching it makes me feel confident that once I get it sorted out I'll blow this 11.63 out of the water. My other PB I set was the trap speed, I was able to hit 127.63mph too.

It's been a long 4yrs and although it doesn't seem like the car's come very far since 2010, it really has. The potential for a lot lower E.T. is there with the same little turbo and stock 7-bolt block, now it's up to me to pilot the car down the track and get that low 11 second pass I know it's capable of. Hopefully it won't take me another 4 years to have some good news... LOL

I was running high 1.7 60fts on my street tires so I'd be lying if I wasn't disappointed with these 60fts on the DR's. I run a Hoosier 245/45/17 DR @ 22psi, which seems to be what the Evo guys run these tires at and have good results.

The DR's aren't the problem though, it's getting them turning that's been the issue. I either bog really bad or slip (ride) the clutch to long trying not to bog and don't run a good 60ft anyway. I also use NLTS which activates off of the clutch switch so the 1.9 60ft you see in that time slip I actually didn't get off the clutch quick enough and it de-activated my injectors while I was launching. Which is the problem I'm talking about...

My new strategy for the next track day is to raise my NLTS from 4.5k to 6.5k that way it doesn't try to activate while I'm still on the clutch trying to slip it.

Well a small comparison. My buddies 2950lbs 1g on an HTA68 and Q16 ran a best of 11.2@125 with a 6000' DA. That was cutting mid 1.5 60' on a 225-45-17 DR. So with good hook you have low 11s in the bag. Now if we would've ran at sea level you could expect the car to click off a high 10, 10.8X range and 128-129 traps.

I can't imagine bogging the thing? Granted I have my 2 step at 6500, but I have a lag city turbo on my car, and even with qtp's I can spin them with ease if I try. I'd suspect that 127mph could get you a 10.99 if you get a good good sixty. I went 10.999 at 129 with a garbage shifting trans and a 1.7 60' with a lag city turbo.

It bogs because of the quick release of the twin disk without any slipping at all, to the point it almost dies. My RPM's dropped to ~800 when I was WOT in one of my passes... But, when I slip it too much, my clutch switch is still active so my car goes from two-step and right into NLTS, shutting off the injectors to hold 4.5k because it thinks I'm trying to shift.

I reviewed a few logs over on Link and it seems that most NLTS settings are 6.5k+ and people are launching at ~5.5k. My setup my NLTS is at 4.5k and I'm launching at 5.25k, which (I think) explains my issues coming off the line and my injectors cutting on and off while I'm slipping the clutch.

I can build 27psi off the line with ALS so I'm certain I can spin them IF I can keep my NLTS from kicking on the second I launch.

My car weighs 2930lbs with me in it (2760lbs without) and we're racing at ~1100ft above sea level. I'm certain I can easily lose .5 second with a 1.7 60ft, just have to find/fix what the issue is and make a clean pass and I know it's my NLTS/two-step settings causing the problem.

Here's a video of the 127mph pass, riding the clutch off the line. I don't have a video of the 11.63 pass, my camera crew left so all I have is the time slip.

[ame=http://youtu.be/FmjVxFgTBVo]Eclipse GSX 127mph pass - YouTube[/ame]

Yeah I see now. I had that same problem with mine. I ended up setting my nlts to 7000, but I shift at 9300ish. That twin will make it hard to launch, I absolutely hated my QM, and went back to a 2600/6 puck. Do you have a welded CD?

This is an ET to mph comparison. I go 10.67-10.73s at 127-128. 1.58-1.62 60' You got that you just need to find it and get the car to launch and hit your shift points just right. I launch the fwd at 6250rpm and have the clutch cut at 6000.

On the clutch are you running a straight line from the master to the slave or do you still have the 2G accumulator?

Since I've entertained the idea of using my car for autox / road racing I opted for the 4-spider instead of welding the CD.

When I did the AWD swap the GSX donor didn't have the accumulator so it's just a full SS line from the master cylinder to the slave. When I first installed my ACT twin disk I considered sourcing a accumulator and see if engagement wasn't so harsh but I never got that ball rolling to do it.

Wow, your car is light. Thats nice!

Launch that thing at 6k. Dont the NLTS parameters include a MPH threshold? Set it higher. Your 60fts should be in the 1.5's with those tires.

I cut consistent 1.63's on 255 wide Kumho all seasons with my old Evo 8.

Love your car, btw. Great representation of a fun/fast street car.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back