The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

FP HTA68, FP2 Cams, & E85

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello, not trying to derail what you guys are talking about currently but in response to the first few posts in this thread talking about e85 and timing...

I've run e85 in my car for quite a few thousand miles now and can say that as a daily driver having the crap beat out of it, the car is holding together well and really hauls for a 14b car.

My tune currently has me at 12.5AFR and north of 20* of timing. I have some tuner pro logs on my tuning computer that I'd be willing to share. My car is running SwedeDensity (dsmecu.com) for the tuning software.

I actually don't know how to tune pump gas so that will be fun when I put my new 1g together since I will tune it on 93octane. I've only tuned on e85 and I'm sure because of that I have probably skirted catastrophe quite a few times due to the huge tuning cushion you get with this fuel.

I can say that people have ridden in my car before and been very impressed that it's a n/t 1.6L bottom end with a 2g head and a 14b. I've also been asked several times if the AFR is too lean in my car after someone saw it on the gauge. They :barf: when I tell them what the timing is at. I'm basically able to make the 14b cry (~20psi) with a motor smaller than it came installed on because of e85.

I should fill out my mods list someday... maybe I'll wait until the new forum migration happens.

I made it out to the track this last Friday and made a few passes with a velocity stack installed where the passenger headlight's at, hoping I'd see an increase in airflow. It definitely worked, I've been logging ~48lbs/m with my current setup and with the velocity stack airflow increased to 51lbs/m. I also noticed that boost didn't taper off as bad either, spiking 30psi and tapering to 28psi by 7.5k where as before it would drop to around 26psi. I also noticed a nice drop of IAT's to ambient, where as before they'd hover around 100* no matter what the ambient air temperature was on the track.

Here's a screen shot. You can also argue that the airflow numbers could be inflated but notice BoostEst is lower than actual boost at the IM so if anything it's a conservative airflow reading.

100 (28.4 + 14.17) / (25.7 + 14.17) - 100
= 100 (42.57 / 39.87) - 100
= 100 (1.07) - 100
= 107 - 100
= 7%​
So, using that equation, there's a difference of 7% between my actual boost reading and my boostest value being logged from which airflow is being calculated. (14.17 is absolute pressure at 1000ft above sea level)

51.3 x .07 = 3.6lbs/m​
So, if my boostest lined up with my MAP sensor reading my logged airflow would have been closer to 55lbs/m.

attachment.php

attachment.php

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Either way, there was definitely an improvement over a 4" K&N filter installed on the intake and just removing the headlight. Now it's time to clean up the install and put the velocity stack in the headlight housing so it doesn't look like I duct taped it on the car...

If anyone's wondering, no new personal bests were set because of rev limiter issues I had off of the line. I figured out my NLTS/ALS settings but now, when I hit my rev limiter coming out of the hole the car shit's itself and doesn't want to accelerate after. Here's a video of it happening...

[ame="http://youtu.be/Ed5Cr6H_dXc"]http://youtu.be/Ed5Cr6H_dXc[/ame]

:dsm:

I cut a 1.81, still not great but considering the 11.6 runs I'm cutting high 1.9 60ft's the 1.8 felt great. LOL

The car only breaks up when the rev limiter is hit, which makes me feel like it's a firmware upgrade issue on Link since it never did it before I updated it. I don't have a MAS because I'm running SD and there's nothing in the log that show's something happening when the rev limiter is hit other than the injector's briefly shutting off.

This was my last day at the track until the Fall so I've got all summer to figure it out, just frustrating that it was happening.

Looks faster then the vid i have of my 1.8 LOL i hadent been able to cut lower than 1.8 with my old suspension. Things should be good this season! Damn 1.8 was in the way of my 10.6ET LOL

I did t say you were on MAF. But humm. So does it go back to normal once you shift?

No, it doesn't come back after the shift. That sound you hear in the video is WOT in 2nd gear... It runs like shit for about 30 seconds and then drives like nothing happened.

Kinda crazy how yours increases with rpm. With the duct in the front I'm sure you can expect a good 3mph increase over your best before.

Has to be fuel related. Has to be.... Or something has to be loose (sensor wise)

What do you think?
I'm not ruling out the fact that my car is causing the issue just yet but it would be nice if it was as easy as getting Tom/Dave to release a new firmware update. Just yesterday they fixed a small bug with fuel weighting between the max/min OL tables running the flex fuel sensor, hopefully they find something with this too.

Kinda crazy how yours increases with rpm. With the duct in the front I'm sure you can expect a good 3mph increase over your best before.
I agree. Installing the IR BCS and adjusting the duty cycle to keep boost from tapering really helped and then with the most recent velocity stack install gave it a good 3lb/m kick. I'm not sure if it's the velocity stack being less restrictive or the ambient temp IAT's (probably a combination of both) but it was definitely worth the $50 and the hassle of fitting it to the headlight.

my buddy's was doing the same thing on the new firmware. I'd get with Thomas and see if he can give you a different firmware update.
I posted a thread on ECMLink about the issue, still waiting on Tom/Dave to respond though so I'm not sure if they've seen it. Your not the only person to confirm this happening on another DSM since the update, I may just email Tom directly since more and more are saying their car's doing it too.

Im liking your setup corey e 85 in the works with speed density, thinking about the that turbo more and more simply bolt on, and sleeper cams in the works too, possibly on the next build. My turbo now is on the way out, might be time for a upgrade. You bringing it to ohio this year?

I agree. Installing the IR BCS and adjusting the duty cycle to keep boost from tapering really helped and then with the most recent velocity stack install gave it a good 3lb/m kick. I'm not sure if it's the velocity stack being less restrictive or the ambient temp IAT's (probably a combination of both) but it was definitely worth the $50 and the hassle of fitting it to the headlight.:dsm:

I say that and should've mentioned, but my airflow is pretty flat line. My boost will have a good spike then flatten out. But my airflow will remain pretty consistent.

Are you running any kind of restrictor pill on the IR BCS? Im getting ready to do the swap over from my trusty Hallman MBC.

Im liking your setup corey e 85 in the works with speed density, thinking about the that turbo more and more simply bolt on, and sleeper cams in the works too, possibly on the next build. My turbo now is on the way out, might be time for a upgrade. You bringing it to ohio this year?
I won't be in Ohio for the S.O. this year, the fiancee and I are having a wedding party that same weekend in August. I left it up to her to plan it and go figure she gets lucky and picks the same weekend as the Shoot Out.

If I play my cards right, I'll be able to trailer it out to the S.O. 2015 though. *knock on wood*

I say that and should've mentioned, but my airflow is pretty flat line. My boost will have a good spike then flatten out. But my airflow will remain pretty consistent.

Are you running any kind of restrictor pill on the IR BCS? Im getting ready to do the swap over from my trusty Hallman MBC.
No restrictor pill, I do have it plumbed into the top and bottom port of the external wastegate though to help with the boost spike. I had it plumbed just to the bottom port and it would spike ~5psi more than I wanted it to and without changing anything but the plumbing it hits 30psi and only tapers 2psi. I could probably increase the BCS duty cycle to keep it from tapering but I'm happy with it, better than dropping to 24psi by redline. The only thing I regret is not doing this years ago when it first came out, I road the MBC train way too long.

This is exactly how I have mine plumbed...

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back