The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

FP Green?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

96_charcoal_tsi

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 21, 2007
Belpre, Ohio
Has anyone else noticed that the fp green for the dsm has changed in apperance as well as what looks to be a billet wheel? Does anyone have any info to back up what im seeing or is it just me looking for more power?

I knew the HTA-style compressor wheel would eventually reach the FP DSM Green, but I'm not liking that non-Genuine turbine housing and turbine wheel on the turbo shown in the pics....looks like the same parts that were used on the 6SL2 turbos.

Sorry, FP.

Doesn't look like it in the pics. The hex portion of the wheel doesn't look like the tons of MHI turbines I've seen.

FP Green:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

New MHI TD06H turbine:

In fact, the center housing doesn't look MHI, either. I don't want to start anything here, but that would mean the FP Green would no longer use any MHI parts aside from possibly the internals; but I don't feel like spending $1300 to tear it down and find out. LOL

FP Green:

New MHI Evo III 16G....notice the difference in the definition of the casting's "curves" at the top of the center housing:

I wish Aniel would comment on what Justin has stated. I always liked this turbo and now that it has the HTA wheel it makes it even better. It has a evo looking cover on it too.

Something that should get everyone's attention is that the turbo now uses an Evo III-style turbine housing. This is interesting because the factory MHI Evo III turbine housing cannot be machined to accept anything larger than a TD05H turbine or you'll cut right through the housing. This means that the FP Green is now using a TD05H turbine, or the housing is being cast for use with a larger turbine like the 6SL2 turbine housings which were made in China or Taiwan.

As the pictures show, the center housing itself doesn't appear to be of MHI origin....not that the center housing does much, but it's basically the "engine block" of your turbo. It distributes oil, and the journals should be made of a durable steel to prevent wear from the journal bearings...but would you want to run an engine block that was made in Taiwan or China on your car?

The turbine wheel also has questionable origin as the hex on the Green's wheel looks nothing like a MHI TD06H and looks more like something of Chinese or Taiwan origin:

Again I'm not trying to start anything here, FP has built some wonderful products over the years. I'm just wondering exactly what you're getting for your $1300, and if it will truly stand the test of time like some of the Frank turbos I still get at my shop today that were built before Forced Performance ever opened their doors.

Once the 18g blows, I'll send it your way and you can autopsy it and see what failed. Probably have you rebuild it, as it would be cheaper.
If it's a 18G-6SL2 and it ends up having wheel damage, it's a paperweight. The 6SL2 turbine is NOT a Genuine MHI product and is only available from Chinese and Taiwan-based manufacturers.

That means if you were to swap a TD05H turbine wheel in place along with a new 18G compressor, you'd also need a new turbine housing as well. For what the parts alone would cost you could buy a new MHI Evo III 16G.

Full custom FP turbocharger 1yr complimentary repair along with it :thumb:

Sounds kind of like your being a bit to much of a sells man here. Everyone is interested in the quality of the cartridge and turbine, thrust bearings etc. Dodging the questions with bs responses may not be the best tactic here.

^^^^Agreed, can you please post more info about the new turbo for those of us that may be interested in purchasing this in the near future. Why hasn't the description on your website been updated?

Brian to the rescue!:

It uses a FP 3" TDO6 style cover,
new FP 73HTA CW
FP wet bearing housings with 12x1.25 oil fitting and 14x1.5 water fittings
FP TDO6 TW
and a FP 7cm EVO III style TH
It can be ordered internal, or external on O2 or MAN

It uses a FP 3" TDO6 style cover,
new FP 73HTA CW
FP wet bearing housings with 12x1.25 oil fitting and 14x1.5 water fittings
FP TDO6 TW
and a FP 7cm EVO III style TH
It can be ordered internal, or external on O2 or MAN

So fp is making turbine shafts/wheels in house?
Apprently more than just the wheels, they're casting their own compressor covers, center housings, and turbine housings as well.

From now on when I rebuild a customer turbo and they ask if I'm using MHI journal bearings and seals, I'll just tell them they're "JusMX141-spec".

Thats what everyone does. BR spec turbo. BR spec pistons. JAM spec valve springs. FP spec cams.

They look at it and say its their spec. LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back