The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

FP Green

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbaron

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 30, 2004
Newark, Delaware
Who's running this turbo, and how do people like it? What supporting mods are needed (550s, S-afc). I am planning on rebuilding my motor and am looking for a good turbo. I hope to shoot for near 400 AWHP.

If your profile is correct, I would say you're a long way from running that turbo even with a rebuilt engine unless you have 6k to blow. To run this turbo efficiently you would need at least the following supporting mods.

1. Your 1g hacked maf has to go, at least a 2g mas or maft.
2. Fuel pump, AFPR and at least 660cc injectors.
3. FMIC with hard piping.
4. At least datalogger so you can tune your safcII.

These are just the minimums, I sure some one else has more to add. http://www.dsmtuners.com/tuning-guide/1gturbo/

^^^^^
Pretty much as above as the min. Upgraded cams while not a requirement will net a fair bit more top end power with a green. I'm exremely pleased with mine so far. :thumb:

Get the supporting mods first then get the turbo. It is a great pump gas turbo, 11.5 in the 1/4 miles.

In order to max our this turbo you're looking at a lot of expensive supporting mods, the least of which is DSMlink, VPC, or some other EMS. An SAFC will do it if you run low enough boost on 660s, but to really reap the benefits of the higher end on pump gas, you'll need bigger injectors IMO.

I Have the fpgreen on my 2.5 hybrid wrx. Aquamist (water injection) is the way to make it really hit. pdxtuning sells them. Adds about 30 whp to a green. It can push so much lbs of air it is almost unuseable w/o race fuel or aquamist. Water smells better.

joemathews said:
In order to max our this turbo you're looking at a lot of expensive supporting mods, the least of which is DSMlink, VPC, or some other EMS. An SAFC will do it if you run low enough boost on 660s, but to really reap the benefits of the higher end on pump gas, you'll need bigger injectors IMO.

The mods aren't that expensive. Why do you NEED DSMLink, VPC, or an EMS? I run lots of boost with just an AFC. I wouldn't go any smaller than 660's, as I pretty much maxed em out on pump gas at 25psi. I'm guessing a DSMLink would have allowed me to make a little more power, but there's nothing wrong with making ~410whp on 93 octane with the stock ECU/AFC.

The FP Green is still one of the best pump gas bolt on turbos you can buy. Forget about all those new fangled turbos coming out, claiming this and that. Go to www.dsmtimes.org and look at how many FP Greens are out there. Then go see how many T04B's are on that list and where they are. So many guys have done well with the FP Green, it's not funny. I'm not bandwagon'ing the Green, even though I have one. I simply back up turbos that perform very well, and have #'s and dyno charts and timeslips to prove it.

I looked over that list and one thing that strikes me is dont' seem to see any greens in the 10s .The mph looks fast enough does it take a lot more mph to go 10s over 11s.Does drag coefficient increase or something? I see cars hit 12s at like 108 and your car hit 11s at 119 so why can't these monster turbos hit 10s at 125 plus.Or is wheelspin a big factor with that much power.The mph is there but the et does't seem to be a bit perplexed. :confused:

I have a agp RS49 which I assume is the same as a green or is it.?Should I expect performance similar to the fp green? I plan on adding magnus intake,possibly swapping my 264 cam for another 272 and might get some spray to push it into the 10s.Thats another thing why do so many guys that sit on the fence with like 11.2 or whatever not just run a 50 shot.Surely that would push them over and most of these engines are forged with the big turbos on them anyway.

AL92 said:
I looked over that list and one thing that strikes me is dont' seem to see any greens in the 10s .The mph looks fast enough does it take a lot more mph to go 10s over 11s.Does drag coefficient increase or something? I see cars hit 12s at like 108 and your car hit 11s at 119 so why can't these monster turbos hit 10s at 125 plus.Or is wheelspin a big factor with that much power.The mph is there but the et does't seem to be a bit perplexed. :confused:

True. Curt Brown is the only guy in the 10's with a Green, to date. This year, I'm shooting to be #2. I really don't think I'm going to get there though. Curt has a tin can for a car, drives like God, has a built motor, and was using some sort of standalone, I believe. I'm still on a 160k mile stock bottom end, stock ECU, and an AFC. Lots of things limiting me. YOu realistically need 125mph to have a shot of running a 10 sec. pass. The biggest reason you don't see more Greens in the 10's is this. It's a STREET CAR turbo. Most of the people buying a Green are putting them on their daily driven cars. Not some gutted out race car. That's why a lot of guys sit at the 11.1 - 11.2 door. The 2-300 extra lbs. that remains in a "street" car does hurt performance. Also, the cars' suspension setup and the driver both have BIG impacts on the ET's the car will turn. I've seen 11.7@124 out of an AWD car. That's close enough to turn a 10 sec. ET, but they barely dip into the 11's. A good suspension/tire combo will cut down on your 60's, and net better ET's. Keep in mind, my 11.50@119 was on PUMP GAS. I haven't been able to make a full pass down the track on race gas yet. I expect the car to sit in the same 11.1x range, like everyone else.

I have a agp RS49 which I assume is the same as a green or is it.?Should I expect performance similar to the fp green? I plan on adding magnus intake,possibly swapping my 264 cam for another 272 and might get some spray to push it into the 10s.Thats another thing why do so many guys that sit on the fence with like 11.2 or whatever not just run a 50 shot.Surely that would push them over and most of these engines are forged with the big turbos on them anyway.

A 50 shot is an easy thing to do. However, that's another $500 modification that most people aren't willing to spend. Also, once you start getting into the HP range needed to run 10's on a stock block, tuning becomes SO CRITICAL. Then you add nitrous into the mix, it's kinda like walking into a gunpowder factory holding lit book of matches. One little mistake and BOOM!! Guys HAVE gone 10's on a 50 trim and nitrous on a stock block, but your tuning must be dead on. At those HP levels (475+ whp), one little ping from detonation, and you will be building a new bottom end. This points back to most Green owners have them on a street car, with the stock block still in it. Its a great turbo, even if the hot side is a little limiting. I wouldn't have any other turbo on a street car.

Thanks for the input. I am going to go with a green. I'm thinking parts will prob run me in the neighborhood of $3k (front mount, 720s, turbo, gm maft). I think my goal of running a low 12 ,high 11, and near 400awhp is attainable with this turbo. But we'll see....

Dahmm. WRX owner here putting in a green. Used to have a 92 awd turbo Laser. Liked it very much.

But looking at the 1/4 times. It looks like dsm's pretty much stomp on Suby times I have seen posted.

And there are a lot of 92 94 models on the list

http://www.dsmtimes.org/awd.htm

NOSLO2PT0 said:
Why do you NEED DSMLink, VPC, or an EMS?

its not NEEDED, but if you wanted to go bigger then 6xx injectors they will do a much better job.

Now if your happy with what you got on pump then theres no need. Or if you like to run race gas.

If you want to be a pump gas whore and want a little more room to work with, it would probably be a better idea, but im not sure of the limits on the fp green so i'll stop here.

GeneralChaos said:
its not NEEDED, but if you wanted to go bigger then 6xx injectors they will do a much better job.

I agree on the fact that the DSMLink, EMS or a keydiver chip will allow for much easier tuning, not to mention much better part throttle response.

If you want to be a pump gas whore and want a little more room to work with, it would probably be a better idea, but im not sure of the limits on the fp green so i'll stop here.

Not sure what limits you are talking about. HP? Boost? FP Green doesn't do much past 30psi, except blow really hot air. That's about the most you are going to get out of the Green before you reach the point of diminishing returns. Overall, it's still a great turbo, for the street, or the track.

hp, boost, cfm whatever.

eventually if your running pump your gonna need a bit bigger then 680's, if your maxed on pump at 25 psi when it can do 30 efficiently, theres my example.

Still fast either way.

GeneralChaos said:
eventually if your running pump your gonna need a bit bigger then 680's, if your maxed on pump at 25 psi when it can do 30 efficiently, theres my example.

Still fast either way.

Not a good example. Race gas requires much less fuel than pump gas to keep everything happy. On 25psi, 660's and pump gas, I kept the AFC right around 0 correction. Running 29psi and race gas, I could lean the car out to -10% on the AFC, and not see any knock. Unfortunately, I didn't get any logs to check IDC, but taking airflow out, will lower IDC. Guys have run well into the 10's on 660's. I, however, wasn't that ambitious. I have already upgraded to larger injectors, with a keydiver chip to compensate for it. 850cc's, 30psi, MAFT 0'd out, AFC 0'd out, i see 11.3:1. Running -10% on the AFC, I'm around 11.9:1. Good enough for 7.34@81 coasting across the 1/8th.

I've also been looking into this turbo but I've also been tempted by the Red, anyone have any experience from this turbo?

Curt Brown, wow, it wouldnt matter what that guy has done to his car, he is a FREAK driver. Tom from SBR told me he drove some kids car @ Pittsburgh raceway, apparantly the kid couldnt run under 13.5 and the first time he drove the car he went 12 flat or 11.9 or something like that. I saw him run a 9.54 and he is REDICULOUS! Back on topic, im also looking at the green as a turbo for my future setup. Its cheap, big, and can push some mad #'s :)

NOSLO2PT0 said:
Not a good example. Race gas requires much less fuel than pump gas to keep everything happy. On 25psi, 660's and pump gas, I kept the AFC right around 0 correction. Running 29psi and race gas, I could lean the car out to -10% on the AFC, and not see any knock. Unfortunately, I didn't get any logs to check IDC, but taking airflow out, will lower IDC. Guys have run well into the 10's on 660's. I, however, wasn't that ambitious. I have already upgraded to larger injectors, with a keydiver chip to compensate for it. 850cc's, 30psi, MAFT 0'd out, AFC 0'd out, i see 11.3:1. Running -10% on the AFC, I'm around 11.9:1. Good enough for 7.34@81 coasting across the 1/8th.

Thats exactly what im talking about. your on 25psi on the pump, but for 29 you need race gas unless you go bigger injectors.

And yes, people have gone 10's on 660's but they used very high octane gas.

On pump gas with let's say 750's, then is it possible to run like 25 psi? At what PSI does the green stop making power and start to just blow hot air then?

Ben :dsm:

There are alot of factors to address before you can ask what PSI on pump you can run. Do you have a FMIC? What size motor? Any fuel line/pump mods? Intake manifold? What size IC pipes? What kind of head work? Cams? Exhaust? EXhaust manifold?

BGRIPTP said:
On pump gas with let's say 750's, then is it possible to run like 25 psi? At what PSI does the green stop making power and start to just blow hot air then?

Ben :dsm:

Just as was mentioned earlier, 30 psi is near the efficiency limit. But to run 30 psi on pump gas on the FP Green you are going to need more than 660s, which is why NOSLO2PTO only ran 25 psi on his pump gas dyno run.

That's why I say you need DSMlink or something other than the SAFC if you want to max out the FP Green on pump gas. If you just want it to be a track killer and run race gas, 30 psi (which is perfectly reasonable--400whp on 93 octane should work for a daily driver ;)), you can stick to the SAFC and 660s like NOSLO2PTO. I was surprised he made that much power on pump gas, but I suppose the FP Green is a LOT more efficient than the Evo16g numbers that I'm used to :p

joemathews said:
Just as was mentioned earlier, 30 psi is near the efficiency limit. But to run 30 psi on pump gas on the FP Green you are going to need more than 660s, which is why NOSLO2PTO only ran 25 psi on his pump gas dyno run.

Unless you have a full standalone system, and unlimited access to a free dyno, I highly doubt you can get away with running 30psi on pump with a 50 trim. Sure Dre did it. He also had free run of a dyno, spent more days tuning that thing then most care to think about, and also made the car damn near undrivable in terms of spool up. I norder to run that much boost on pump gas, you gotta drop your timing down so far, the car will actually LOSE power. It's not about how much boost you can run, it's how much boost you can keep increasing to and still MAKE MORE POWER. Hell, if I thought fuel was a concern with the 660's, I would have just increased my base fuel pressure, that's all.

That's why I say you need DSMlink or something other than the SAFC if you want to max out the FP Green on pump gas. If you just want it to be a track killer and run race gas, 30 psi (which is perfectly reasonable--400whp on 93 octane should work for a daily driver ;)), you can stick to the SAFC and 660s like NOSLO2PTO. I was surprised he made that much power on pump gas, but I suppose the FP Green is a LOT more efficient than the Evo16g numbers that I'm used to :p

I don't think a Green can go much higher than 25-26psi and still make power with a simple set up like a stock ecu/AFC. I have never dyno'd my car......yet. I guestimate it's around 410whp on 93 octane, using hp calculators. DSMLink, or water injection, or race gas, will obviously increase those #'s. But, if you can get away with running 25psi on pump gas on ANY turbo, you are doing good and making enough power to satisfy most.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back