The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

FP 68HTA vs FP GREEN

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I edited my post above with these dyno boost graphs comparing the two turbos. Granted, both are off different setups so spool characteristics will change.

HTA68
attachment.php

HTA Green
attachment.php

:dsm:

Again, I'm sort of in the same boat. I don't plan on tracking much, so I want something fun for the streets. I know the HTA68 is quicker to spool, but not much, but I know the Green is a robust turbo that will take a lot of abuse. I also don't want to be pushing the HTA68 to its limits just to make the 450ish whp I plan to make. Decisions, decisions:hmm:

kidtsi, at what point does the green really come alive? 20psi? 25psi? 30psi?

At around 25psi.

I'd go with a 35R or a Red. I mean, even if you live on windy roads are you really going to be hammering it around every turn and need the instant boost? Just because you dont reach full boost until say 5k, doesnt mean you have none. Just my 2 cents :)

the same guy with the red has an old frank 5 green... so thats a possibility for cheaper. has a blown compressor wheel though.. only downside.. but hey could be cheaper!:sneaky:
Unless it's free, stay away. The last time I replaced a compressor on a Frank turbo for a customer it ended up costing nearly $250 for the wheel and the necessary machining / balancing. That was on top of the price of the rebuild.

I get compressor surge at anything above 26psi and the turbo is maxed out, theres no way to squeeze another 60whp out of this snail. If you're looking for 500awhp and don't care about keeping it stock looking get the FP Green because you'll meet your goal, the HTA68 won't get you there.
I agree. It's possible the HTA68 would perform better above 25psi with a larger turbine, but Forced Performance doesn't seem interested in marketing it that way. The 05H turbine is a restriction above a certain boost level which can raise EGT's and effect the tune on anything but race fuel or E85.

The lower backpressure of the larger turbine used in the Green is what you're looking for if you want to run lots of boost and plan on netting bigger HP numbers on pump fuel than the 68HTA. Of course it will come at the cost of some lag and streetability.

well i can only get what the budget allows... so far its lookin like a 68HTA if i dont sell my 7 bolt soon..... i guess i dont really need ALOT of power.. i just like torque and hard pulling, the only bummer is that the boost tops out and then declines because its so small :(

i guess i can port it to squeeze everything i can out of it, how long are these little things supposed to last?

I'm sure FP is using an actuator that is stronger than an OEM actuator on that turbo.

It's not that internal wastegates are unreliable, it's just that they're not as easily controlled as external gates due to the inability to change springs. Stiffer internal actuators can perform just as well as an external gate- hell I have a 30psi actuator at the shop, meaning it will not open at all until it sees 30psi. ;)

Good info Justin. Makes me kinda wish I should of started with a green rather than the Evo 3. Oh well, goal of 11s has to start somewhere.

Good info in this thread!
Justin, are there many issues with the Green when it is internally gated? Does it require a lot, or any porting? What about the supplied actuator, good? bad, is there any room for improvement? I understand every set up is different, but I'm just trying to get an idea.

Sorry to bombard you with all these questions, but I'd rather not open another "FP Green" thread. Thanks

no porting is needed and boost does not drop up top. I'm talking from experience and because i have it.

When do you reach full boost (what psi is that for you?)? And your on a 2.0L, correct?

Sounds like the FP green would be the right turbo for ya with the goals and drivability you want. It may lag a wee bit more then the 68HTA like stated above but you will have room to grow as well. I am glad i read this thread, i have been contemplating the same thing for my talon. And as far as how these two turbos act on subaru's 2.0L... the Green does seem to be an "in between" turbo. The EJ205 seems not to react as resposive on the green like the 4G63, at least from what i have researched.

I've got the HTA Green and I see 20psi@4,000RPM pretty much. I could probably get it a little lower once I tune the car.

Kidtsi I know it says you have slim fans in your profile but is it possible to fit the factory fans in there with an internally gated FP Green?

Even if it fits with the turbo, you'll probably at least have to get rid of the passenger fan since you'll have a fmic.

I think it is possible if you yrim thr fans a little bit, so far this turbo is no joke, I think a 10.7it is possible on my setup it could be my tune but so far I love the turbo! Ill go external in this week.

honestly I'd just go with a 3052 setup, quick spool and will make you your 500hp easily. I took a ride in my buddies setup over the weekend and it hit hard and took off. It's kinda like comparing it to a green but with a ball bearing setup

Well thank you. I can't see the build thread though because I'm not a member of that forum. It looks like there's a j-pipe in that picture, are you sure he was running the FP Green at that time? I'm gonna PM kidtsi, since he hasn't checked this thread in a while.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back