The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Holset Turbos, PART 7

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
alright good. I'm deffently gonna try to push this turbo as far as it can go. I dont think anyone really has?

Me either. I hope you do. PLEASE report back with your logs, dyno, trap speed/weight, etc. I think this turbo is a great turbo for the dsm platform. It fits well for the 450whp goal. Which is the topend of what most are looking for when they plan on upgrading considering their stock block. . .

ordering my manifold tomorrow. ecmlinkv3 for christmas.. should deffently be running over break

hey guys, Im looking into one of these for my 2jz. I can get a freshly rebuilt WH1E for $300 shipped. It is said to flow 75lbs/min. Has a 19cm housing. Here are the part numbers.
ASSY. 3529466
SERIAL H 951149
CUSTOMER 3531388-1-4/3
TYPE WH1E

Attached is a compressor map with my 2jz line plotted. Let me know any thoughts on this turbo. It seems to not match the description of the usual WH1E of the first post in the thread summary.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Attachments

• 2jz 450hp.jpeg.jpg
    2jz 450hp.jpeg.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,496

Here is a comparison of the hx40 18cm^2 housing vs. 16cm^2 housing. Compliments of Vigge in europe who's made some huge progress with the hx40 and put down some impressive results with his Saab.

Apparently there's a much bigger difference going from 16cm^2 to 18cm^2 over going from 14cm^2 to 16cm^2. . .

If you want more 16cm to 18cm comparison pics, let me know. Both of mine are t3 inlet and wastegated. I wish i could have used the 16cm housing i have, but it has some melted piston inside.

Did anyone else have any problems separating the turbo from the stock holset turbine housing? I have my BEP housing sitting here, Im trying to get it out without messing anything up, and all the bolts are out, but it doesnt want to come loose.I even tried to bang it w/ hammer some at the turbine housing side to loosen it up some so I can pull it apart... I have it soaking in PB blaster now, will try again tommorow.

mine also didn't want to break free..

soak it then hit it.. thats how i got mine off

Did anyone else have any problems separating the turbo from the stock holset turbine housing? I have my BEP housing sitting here, Im trying to get it out without messing anything up, and all the bolts are out, but it doesnt want to come loose.I even tried to bang it w/ hammer some at the turbine housing side to loosen it up some so I can pull it apart... I have it soaking in PB blaster now, will try again tommorow.

Yes very common. Every one I've messed with is a royal #$%#(. It may take heat too.

Stop with the hammering. Reinstall the bolts that hold the turbine housing on. Take a 1/4 drive deep well 10 mm socket (or other similar sized socket, basically whatever fits between the turbine housing bolts and the compressor cover backplate) and put it between the turbine housing bolt and the compressor cover backplate. Make sure its a snug fit, then start loosening up the bolts. It will begin to pry off the housing. DO THIS EVENLY ALL THE WAY AROUND. Do NOT just crank one side really far and wedge the housing on. Durka durka.

hey guys, Im looking into one of these for my 2jz. I can get a freshly rebuilt WH1E for $300 shipped. It is said to flow 75lbs/min. Has a 19cm housing. Here are the part numbers.
ASSY. 3529466
SERIAL H 951149
CUSTOMER 3531388-1-4/3
TYPE WH1E

Attached is a compressor map with my 2jz line plotted. Let me know any thoughts on this turbo. It seems to not match the description of the usual WH1E of the first post in the thread summary.

NO, no the wh1e doesn't flow 75lb/min!!!! The much larger hx40 pro wheels flow about 68lb/min based on the map. The very map you posted shows about 750cfm. FAR below 75lb/min, no matter the ambient correction. The bottem numbers are a separate mass flow perameter that only holset uses to measure. The top of these maps are rendered in either lb/min or CFM with a correction for 85*F and 14.425psia. That map with the correction puts you at about 55lb/min. The below 8274AX h1e compressor map shows about 1-2lb/min more airflow. 56=57lb/min at 60% efficiency. Which would put choke right at about 60lb/min (flows about like a 60-1 with much better efficiency at high boost). The wh1e compressor wheel is very similar to the 8blade hx40 compressor wheel. So the below map is probably the most accurate. The AX suffix after the wheel designation mostlikely referes to this having a MWE cover. All AX designated maps refer to holset compressors with surge porting. And your wh1e certainly has the surge ports.

Who exactly was it that told you that the map posted was the wh1e 58mm inducer compressor map? . . . My above information has a bit of speculation concerning the AX designation. Regardless of source though, the map doesn't show anywhere close to 75lb/min airflow.

Keep in mind that the below highest rpm (127,660) is relatively low compared to the diameter of the wheel. Tip speeds can exceed his amount and still be effective and/or not dangerous to the compressor. It's definately a 60lb/min compressor.

Attachments

• h1e-8274AX.jpg
    h1e-8274AX.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 894
Stop with the hammering. Reinstall the bolts that hold the turbine housing on. Take a 1/4 drive deep well 10 mm socket (or other similar sized socket, basically whatever fits between the turbine housing bolts and the compressor cover backplate) and put it between the turbine housing bolt and the compressor cover backplate. Make sure its a snug fit, then start loosening up the bolts. It will begin to pry off the housing. DO THIS EVENLY ALL THE WAY AROUND. Do NOT just crank one side really far and wedge the housing on. Durka durka.

Im sorry but I really dont follow what your saying.
All the bolts are off, I cant get it out of the stock holset turbine housing.
I dont see how putting the bolts back on then loosing them again will change anything. I have been spraying PB blaster on it, hoping to break free some of the rust or what not so it may be able to come apart so I can then put the BEP housing on and install everything...

Thanks for the info. I was curious about the claim at 75lbs/min. Looking over the map and the specs it wasnt adding up for me. I wonder where the seller got the claim that it outflows the hx40.

Hello Holset Guru's I need some input.

I have a dilemma with my HX40 I have been planning on using. My top mount and manifold are set up for a garrett hotside in order to keep the turbine housing from hitting one of the runners. Right now I have a .70 BEP housing on and there is no way on earth its going to fit correctly. I am determined to use this HX40 and I have settled on using a garrett hotside and machining it to properly fit the HX40

My question is what size hot side should I use between the .63 a/r or the .82? We are hoping for over 600awhp and low 10's with our set up. We want to see how far we can push this HX40 before we move on to another turbo.

I have included a full mods list below to aide in the decision making process.
Much of this has been purchased and the build is in full force right now so I need to work this problem out.

ENGINE:
Eagle H beam rods
stock crank
stock bore wiseco 9:1 pistons
BS removed
All ARP

HEAD:
1mm over sized valves minor porting
Beehive springs and retainers
HKS 272 cams
ARP studs

TURBO:
Brand new HX-40 60mm 6 blade
Topmount T3 manifold
full 3.5" downpipe bumper side exit
Tial 44mm wastegate

INTAKE/ FUEL
17x17x9 fuel cell
Full -8 AN braided fuel system
JMF drag mani.
75mm BBK throttle body
HKS knockoff fuel rail
1000cc+ injectors
Tial 50mm bov
3" short route piping
34x10.5x3.5 short route intercooler
MAFT

CHASSIS/ DRIVETRAIN/ ETC.
Solid filled driveshaft bearings
All prothane chassis bushings/ motor mounts (Entire car)
ACT Xtreme clutch 2900+
Stock flywheel
TRE stage 3
4 bolt rear
D2 coilovers
15x6.5 Rota slipstreams
26x9.5x15 Hoosier QTP
1gb big brakes

COOLING
Aluminum civic half rad
Only Rad lines which are -16 AN
12" slim fan

OTHER CRAP
DSMLINK
4500rps stutterbox
9k redline
No Power steering
No AC
None of that other Bullshit
Fully legal for 9 second passes except we need a halo hoop and a pillar bars.

Car will weigh in at about 2500lbs with me in it. No that is not a typo. Car will be run strictly on 110 octane fuel.

Correct me if I am wrong but your description says hx40 PRO set up. That hx40 in your pics has a 7-blade compressor wheel where as the pro is only a 6-blade I thought?

My HX40 has a 7 blade billet (HTA) 60mm wheel. I'm not sure if it's considered a legitimate hx40 pro or not, but it spools great and is capable of 69 lb per min.

My question is what size hot side should I use between the .63 a/r or the .82?

Man if you have a 9k redline and all that other stuff and you are building it primarily for the strip, you should do the .82 no doubt.

If you don't mind me asking, who would do the machining for you on the turbine housing?

I would actually be doing the machining. I have a really nice lathe available to me which I have turned a couple housings on before with much success.

I didn't realize you had a lathe when I read your pm. . . But as I said, any used t3 garrett housing cut for a p-trim or smaller wheel can be used. As long as it's for a journal bearing garrett. A bb housing is too shallow and requires a spacer.

Go for the .82 a/r housing. The hx40 could stand to lose a few hundred rpms in spool speed :)

I'm mainly worried about the mating flange between the CHRA and turbine housing being way off.

The journal bearing garrett clamps match the hx40. I swapped on an h1c (which has a 4bolt pattern) but used and old garret t3 set of brackets to clamp it to the bolton hx35 turbine housing. That should mean that it's close enough :) . Besides theres a couple of volvo guys who've done exactly what you're attempting. Go for it! It worked for them. It will work for you.

Does anyone have a list of the holset turbine housings in cm converted to a/r? or is there a formula of some sort? May be going a different route now and I am looking for a twin scroll T3 Holset turbine housing that is about .82 a/r. Also does anyone know if there are any somewhat small T4 holset housings?

Can somebody tell me what year Dodge pickup came with the twinscroll HX35 and HX40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back