The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Holset Turbos, PART 7

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did you make out?

Ended up having to loosen the manifold to head. Very simple, just time consumig. The o-ring was flat and broke in my hand. Replaced it and now no leaks.

You think that a 7/8" cut off disc is thin?? The ones that I use are 1/8". I just put my ss braided hose on my work bench after I tape the cut area with electrical tape, clamp it down, and just go slow when I cut the hose. It always comes out very clean. When I put the fitting on, it also is very easy, I just make sure to use a lot of oil for lube and the pieces go right together.

The 7/8 worked great for me. :thumb: Had to make several cuts and each one came out clean. I decided to ditch the SS braided line. Now matter how I cut it, or what fittings I use, It keeps kinking.

Hey did you guys notice, the new DSM gloves are MECHANICS gloves - as opposed to DRIVING gloves. They got that right didn't they!

Gary

hmmm of topic LOL, but if they were driving gloves then i would buy some, i cant used mechanics gloves when i work on my DSM.

So I ditched the SS line because I can't get it to not kink. There is so little room between the Holset and the oil pan on a 2g. I'm purchasing this today:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I think the 90* bend off the oil pan will work perfectly. What do you guys think?

I have heard that a lot of ppl like the sock style return line like the one you have. We Built a Galant VR4 at work with a HX40 with this return line and it looks a hell of a lot easier then the braided one. unfortunately I still have a braided line I just have not tackled the process of putting on my HX35 yet so I am kinda worried about the braided line i bought from extremePSI. I wish after hearing all this and working on the Galant that I would of got that style. but yah you should like that a lot more.

I have heard that a lot of ppl like the sock style return line like the one you have. We Built a Galant VR4 at work with a HX40 with this return line and it looks a hell of a lot easier then the braided one. unfortunately I still have a braided line I just have not tackled the process of putting on my HX35 yet so I am kinda worried about the braided line i bought from extremePSI. I wish after hearing all this and working on the Galant that I would of got that style. but yah you should like that a lot more.

Yea this one has a 90* bend like the stock line.

The galant does not have that 90*. He clocked the chra so the line was pointed more to the front of the car so it actually made the angle more rounded... Either way you should be fine with the sock.. Or you can save the 70 dollars and do what i did... Its up to you...

i used a stock 2greturn line, and cut off the top part and used a kit like that Epsi one for the top then connedted the hose to the stock 2g lower line.

works great!

So I ditched the SS line because I can't get it to not kink. There is so little room between the Holset and the oil pan on a 2g. I'm purchasing this today:

I think the 90* bend off the oil pan will work perfectly. What do you guys think?
I like the idea of your return line, I just dont like how it steps down to a smaller diamiter before it hit the pan.

i used a stock 2greturn line, and cut off the top part and used a kit like that Epsi one for the top then connedted the hose to the stock 2g lower line.

works great!

Personally, I wouldn't use any thing smaller than a -10. Id rather have a huge return line, than a turbo that blows up from having a small one.

I like the idea of your return line, I just dont like how it steps down to a smaller diamiter before it hit the pan.

Personally, I wouldn't use any thing smaller than a -10. Id rather have a huge return line, than a turbo that blows up from having a small one.

This is a -10an line. It doesn't get smaller. And I am using a restrictor.

Oil drain is covered in another thread but I'll post what I use. Holset oil drain from a cummins (ebay) with 3/4" silcone hose to the stock bigger 2G return. I dont like the idea of a sharp 90 degree return. With a 3-AN line oil feed and this drain I have no issues. I can even squeeze in the hose slightly while the car is running to make sure oil is not getting backed up to the turbo. This set me back around $40 due to the price of silicone.

Attachments

• oil drain.jpg
    oil drain.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 1,048

works great!

If it's not 19mm which the holset repair manual states is the minimum, then repeatable results is questionable. Althought his is better than hackign a 1g drain, since it is a little larger and the 1g piece sells for good money.

If it's not 19mm which the holset repair manual states is the minimum, then repeatable results is questionable. Althought his is better than hackign a 1g drain, since it is a little larger and the 1g piece sells for good money.

yea im ts not 19mm.

a -10an line is smaller then the 2g return line FYI
i woudl run a -12an but i dont feel like pulling the pan adn haveing a bung welded on. if i blow the seals on this turbo then i will for the next one

The galant does not have that 90*. He clocked the chra so the line was pointed more to the front of the car so it actually made the angle more rounded... Either way you should be fine with the sock.. Or you can save the 70 dollars and do what i did... Its up to you...

Just got off the phone with extremepsi. Since I already have the oil pan and turbo fittings I asked them if I could get the hose and the push lock -an fittings separately. I'm getting the straight fitting, 45* fitting (decided that may be better) and the hose for $33. Not bad if you ask me.

19mm is almost 3/4", what size an fitting does that compare to?
EDIT: Nvm, found it, -12 is 3/4"
a -10an line is smaller then the 2g return line FYI
i woudl run a -12an but i dont feel like pulling the pan adn haveing a bung welded on. if i blow the seals on this turbo then i will for the next one
Really? Mine isnt. Coulda fooled me. I thought extremepsi sells an adapter so that you dont have to weld your pan, like this....

Why not buy that flange, cut off the threads and weld on a -12 fitting to that?

That way you don't have to remove the oil pan and won't have any down time if you do it ahead of time.

Ive always tapped my 16g from the head and never had a problem...
I've thought this too in the past, but you're talking about two completely different turbochargers with two different oil requirements.

19mm is almost 3/4", what size an fitting does that compare to?
EDIT: Nvm, found it, -12 is 3/4"

Really? Mine isnt. Coulda fooled me. I thought extremepsi sells an adapter so that you dont have to weld your pan, like this....

yea that ia what i had..... but they do not make that in -12an, thye only make it for -10

i believe that a -12an would be larger then then the OEM hole in the pan. so there would be no point if it is limited to the size of the hole in the pan

that's why it would need to be drilled out, and welded on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back