The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Holset Turbos, PART 4

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
NO DOUBT!!!!!!! Totally understand what your saying there are 357 BILLION pages of talk and WE are the only ones with track times.

HEHE

Here is my contribution (well, kinda...)

60' 3.2
1/8 10.9
1/8mph 85.27
1/4 15.4
1/4mph 112

Haha, I couldn't spool it on the auto tranny worth shiz. There, now I contributed.

Ok I read alot of the post on the first page but there was no way I could read all of these pages. I was just wondering what the diffrence in this HX35 and my FP3052? Both flow 52 correct and they say that HX35 is good for 500whp and I know that the 3052 has been up to 520whp (basically the same) I believe that someone said that the HX35 spools at 3500 rpms correct? I think my 3052 doesnt hit full boost till 3900 or so but that was before the FP exhaust manifold. Anyways is there much of a diffrence? Oh and also I know the 3052 is liquid ball bearing and that if you are running your line from the filter houseing that you need an inline filter to restrict the oil and keep out the metal shavings.

I started a parts number thread already for request and inquires about a number for a certain number and even monster and I along with a few others have posted some numbers and places to find numbers already.

I'll add it to the lists of links on the start of the threads when I get a chance.

Since you have a place holder for your own results, does this mean we will be getting some data from a hy35 or a he351 soon? Im curios how a strait hy or he will perform. Especially the he351.

HE351VE on my diesel. So, my results won't help too much in comparison.

I've only got HE341s, HE351s and HE351VE's. HY35 and the HE341 are supposed to be identical, according to the Cummins contact. Based on posted info in the thread(s), the HE351's are simply later generation HX40's.

just finished up my hx35 install here is some pics to add to some more info!
dr650 (3000gt turbo) and the holset hx35
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

here is a 14b, E16G, and holset hx35

here is the hx35 installed

some of the things I did that I couldn't really find any info on is I was able to use the stock fan, and modified the rad mounts a bit to get the radiator to tilt forward a bit, I also had to trim the fan shroud, and after that i found out that a small corner of the blades hit the turbo. So I just went around and clipped maybe a 2 inch corner portion of all the fan blades, car still runs perfectly fine and no overheating or anything of the sort.

Also I couldn't really find any info on what drain to set up, I bought one of those push fit Aeroquip fittings with hose from Extremepsi. I had to use a 45* off the turbo and a Straite fitting off the oil pan.

For the 90degree coupler off the turbo I just bought a non reduced 90* 2.5inch silicone elbow, and trimmed the lip of the turbo.

And finally the part I was really upset about, fitting the 4inch FP intake :( I had to cut off about an inch off the intake where the maf sensor mounts to barely get it to clear the 1GA pop up motor.

HE351VE on my diesel. So, my results won't help too much in comparison.

I've only got HE341s, HE351s and HE351VE's. HY35 and the HE341 are supposed to be identical, according to the Cummins contact. Based on posted info in the thread(s), the HE351's are simply later generation HX40's.

I was more interested in seeing how the regular 9cm housing performs. Im trying to talk a friend into a he instead of a evo3 16g or a 18g, but he is worried about spool. Having the outlet facing the same way as the inlet would work good for his application. I dont think anybody else is running or considering running the 9cm housing, is there?

just finished up my hx35 install here is some pics to add to some more info!

here is the hx35 installed

That's interesting, it looks like the HX35 compressor cover is a bigger diameter than I thought. Could you get an approx measurement of the diameter? Measured like the 7" dimension they show in this picture (this is an S256). I'm thinking about clearance issues right now, before buying!

Attachments

• S200 dimensions.jpg
    S200 dimensions.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 588
That's interesting, it looks like the HX35 compressor cover is a bigger diameter than I thought. Could you get an approx measurement of the diameter? Measured like the 7" dimension they show in this picture (this is an S256). I'm thinking about clearance issues right now, before buying!

The cover for a hx40 measures 8" where that one is 7". I dont have a hx35, but IIRC those are the same measurements of my wh1c too.

There is an HX35 dyno shown on theturbotrader, here is a copy of it.
I'm wondering if anybody knows anything about the engine this was on, and is there info on it here in the forum someplace? Like, engine size, bolt-ons, fuel used, turbine housing used, stuff like that. I tried calling turbotrader, no answer of course.

Attachments

• HX-35 dyno from theturbotrader.jpg
    HX-35 dyno from theturbotrader.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 593
The cover for a hx40 measures 8" where that one is 7". I dont have a hx35, but IIRC those are the same measurements of my wh1c too.

7" sounds right to me for the HX35, but somehow it looks bigger than that in the pictures from doesitonall4rs. Would you expect the fitment issues he had with a 7" cover?

Gary

How would you guys describe the difference in performance between the 7-blade HX-35 and the S256-259, both in the BEP .55 a/r turbine housings? I'm trying to figure out if a S256-259 would be just as good, or if you gain some things by going with an HX35 instead. What I'm thinking is, if the HX35 can make 500 awhp in the .55 and spool almost as soon as an e316g, well, I don't think any other single scroll turbo can do that. I've seen 500 awhp from the S256 - no actually S258 - but it was in the .70 turbine housing (steve93talon). I've seen 1 or 2 pretty good spool results from the S256 in the .55 but I don't know if it was as good as the HX35, and then the top end hp is more limited.
Geoff at Full-Race says that the BW turbos with single scroll turbine housings are giving away some of their potential because the turbine wheels were designed from the ground up to be used twin scroll. I'm sure the Holset turbine wheels were designed for twin scroll too, but maybe they are just by some accident happier in a single scroll housing than the Borgs are.
Anyway, I'm not finding much for HX35 dyno runs so I wonder how you guys would compare these 2 turbos. Not on cost, just on performance.

Thanks,
Gary

7" sounds right to me for the HX35, but somehow it looks bigger than that in the pictures from doesitonall4rs. Would you expect the fitment issues he had with a 7" cover?

Gary

I said the holset covers are 8"

52 on the 1g

Yeah it was a bi*** to get the jhr manifold to bolt up to the hx52 I ended up studding one corner and bolting up the other 3 with lock-tite and lock washers. Def came out good though man :thumb:

Tim at Timsturbos says that the BEP .55 a/r housings for the holsets were made from plain steel, not stainless steel. I'm going to try to find out from Bullseye, but do you guys know?

Gary

Gary,

If you get the BEP bolt on mitsu housing from Bullseye, timsturbo, and i think MAP performance, they are selling the cast stainless steel. FYI

chris b

Judging from your mods list, you're far from being able to support this turbo in it's efficiency range. I wouldn't put too much effort into getting a billet wheel until you can safely support this beast of a snail. This is a 68lb/min turbo.

is the hx 40 or the hx40 pro a 68lb/min

When you said "that one is 7" were you refering to the little S256 pic I posted? I thought you meant the HX35 was 7". If the HX35 is 8" I guess that would explain why it looks big in doesitonall4rs pictures. I'm not convinced that the normal 35 cover is that big though, because theturbotrader has a pretty good straight-on shot of supposedly an HX35 and when you scale it up on the screen so that the inlet is 4" and the outlet is 2.5" like it's supposed to be, then measure across the housing, it measures about 7.25 inches. I'm wondering if the cover on doesitonall4rs is just a different cover or something.

Gary

Are most of you guys just cutting off the v-band on the compressor housing and running a silicone 90 to you licp? I was thinking on getting a stock holset bend that the other half bolts to and welding it to my licp.

And what about oiling, what size lines, and from the head or filter housing do yous reccomend.

What are you guys doing?

Any info is much appreciated.

When you said "that one is 7" were you refering to the little S256 pic I posted? I thought you meant the HX35 was 7". If the HX35 is 8" I guess that would explain why it looks big in doesitonall4rs pictures. I'm not convinced that the normal 35 cover is that big though, because theturbotrader has a pretty good straight-on shot of supposedly an HX35 and when you scale it up on the screen so that the inlet is 4" and the outlet is 2.5" like it's supposed to be, then measure across the housing, it measures about 7.25 inches. I'm wondering if the cover on doesitonall4rs is just a different cover or something.

Gary

I guess ill clarify this. I only have 2 hx40 covers and a wh1c cover to measure. I dont have access to a hx35 to measure. The only one i have with me is one of the hx40 covers. It measures 8" at the same location of the one that you posted. I think that the wh1c measured the same, but i dont remember or have it here to measure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back