The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Holset Turbos, PART 8

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks! Great to meet you, too.

I wish I did have a p/n for the elbow... The listing at dodge only shows until the clamp itself on the turbo diagram. I wouldn't think it'd be that much harder for them to find.

Ok guys 2 things.

How much lbs/min should I be making at 30psi on a HX35 8Blade. For some reason when I log it I make only 46lbs/min :(

Also I am trying to tune this thing on pump gas since I went with 1000CC injectors and its being kind of a pain in the ass. My PLX wideband is showing 10.1 AFR which is pretty rich but when I lean it out little by little it starts to knock. My timing is at 14degrees which seems to be low enough on pump gas and my IDCs are at 84%.

I have checked for boost leaks and I have non.

Are you running stock manifolds? . . . You profile isn't filled out.

Got two runs in yesterday at the shootout. 25 psi running around 12:1afr although I didn't really get time to do any logs. Street tires.

First pass left the line at 4.5k 2 step which was a bit low so I feathered it into boost.

[email protected] with a 1.75 60' Shifted into 5th(seemed like a good idea at the time)

Second pass I set the rpm to 5k and lost traction, bounced off rev limiter for a sec and short shifted into 2nd. Got a worse 60' but held out 4th this time and gained some mph. Left my passenger side window down on accident for whatever it's worth :p

[email protected] with a 1.78 60'

After that was qualifying and took slow motion videos for /J while he used his other camera. He wasn't set up when I ran so the second run is in slowmo from the stands and FenixTX got some video from the staging lanes.

You gained almost 6mph over the e3 16g :) . . . The 16g run had that 1.5sec 60ft though, right?

High 1.5 60' compared to a high 1.7 60' with the hx35 on street tires. Only 2 psi higher than the 16g and 6 more mph in the heat :)

So, did anyone run in any classes at the SO with a Holset? If so, what were the results?

Dave was having trans issues this year and didn't want to push it; otherwise his HX35 setup was the defending Bracket 1 class champ from Shootout '09. Too bad he couldn't go back-to-back with the HX40 and the car being over a second and a half faster than the previous year.

I ran pretty similar times to Mr. Peepers in my HX35 2g just last night. Babied it outta the hole, 1.77 60 ft, 7.44 @ 99.xx in the 1/8th, 11.37 @ 129 in the 1/4. Full weight 2g, stock GSX wheels with street tires. This is on the same setup as when I dyno'd 508hp/455tq.

Gonna go back in a month when it cools off some more and get a 10.9 @ 130+ out of her. I plan on pushing this turbo into the bottom bottom 10's next season.

Holset Newbie... ish LOL I picked up an HX35 this past spring and have been trying to get everything figured out of how I want to set it up. I have decided on running the .55 A/R BEP housing but I am undecided on exhaust manifolds. I was suggested by Keith at Pure to run the FP mani with the WG off the O2. Any thoughts on this set up. I am also thinking about having a buddy make a tubular mani with WG on the mani to bolt to the mitsu flanged housing. I would like to hit the magical 500awhp with race gas on a mustang dyno.

You can see my current 16g build in my profile.

Holset Newbie... ish LOL I picked up an HX35 this past spring and have been trying to get everything figured out of how I want to set it up. I have decided on running the .55 A/R BEP housing but I am undecided on exhaust manifolds. I was suggested by Keith at Pure to run the FP mani with the WG off the O2. Any thoughts on this set up. I am also thinking about having a buddy make a tubular mani with WG on the mani to bolt to the mitsu flanged housing. I would like to hit the magical 500awhp with race gas on a mustang dyno.

You can see my current 16g build in my profile.

If you're going to make a manifold, just make a divided T3 manifold to mate up to the stock housing. Probably the same or better spool as the bolton, good for more hp, and saves you $250+.

Just gotta ask, if you were going to do a compond turbo setup with Holsets which ones would you pick? I'm running the H1E on my seven bolt but when I slap in the 64 I'm thinking of running a compound setup since I have the fab skills. Im happy with the H1E and know spoolup will be better with the 64 but would like to fab up a compound setup when this motor goes in. So I would like to start the research now.

Holds anything past 13 psi like a champ, otherwise it will creep to 13 by 7k. Threw a different(better) boost gauge in and it was actually only hitting 22 psi, which is starting to push the 1000cc's on e85. Will try to eek out 25 psi at 12:1 AFR for the shootout and see what she'll do.

Just saw this and was wondering if you happen to have just one 255 FP? I was running 35 PSI on the HX35 w/1000cc injectors on E85 and seeing tops 80% DC @ 11.7:1 AFR and 18* of timing. I was running mid 11's 11.5-11.6 back then as well. It just sounds like your fuel pressure is dropping or maybe not enough volume of fuel.

Decent numbers and glad you at least got to make a few passes at the SO. Seems a lot of people have issues their. I hope to make it next year if I still have my DSM.

I'm on a single 255. The car was on the rich side up top and I didn't notice until I did some more logs later. Leaned it out a bit at the SO but could still go leaner, just haven't had time to give it my full attention. I have an inline 255 sitting on a shelf and planning on making some fittings to get rid of the banjo bolt on the filter in the near future.

I'm using a MR.Gasket fuel filter that has -6 inlet and outlet. I always thought I would need to get a pusher pump to go 130. Thanks for the info. Does anyone know when you would need a second pump?

Depending on the base fuel pressure+boost pressure, 130 traps on a 3100 lb car was the limit on my friends car. It started to show signs of losing fuel pressure after that. I wouldn't try to push past 500whp on a single 255 and e85, especially if it takes a lot of boost to get there. 450whp would be safer...

This isn't really breaking holset news by any means, but I just thought I should chime in and dispell my previous belief that the HX40 pro w 18cm turbine housing and Dark Performance (pseudo twin-scroll) T4 tubular manifold combo was laggy. I finally got off my lazy butt last weekend and swapped out my small 2g TB for a newly rebuilt 63mm NT TB and ripped out my old profec B boost controller. I then proceeded to install a new MBC with a much more efficient vaccum hose route and took the car out for a quick test drive. The throttle and boost resonse is phenominal now, it feels like a completely different car. I can't wait to do my speed density tune, this thing is gonna be siiick. :D

Just got ahold of an H1C. I plan on performing a rebuild and running a bolt on housing. Has anyone seen these upgrade kits from Gillett Diesel Service? Upgrade Compressor Housing & Wheel combo (58mm inducer) for 1991.5-1994 Turbochargers

It's pretty much a comp wheel and cover from a 58mm H1E. Mated to an H1C 70mm ind and 60mm exd turbine wheel, what housing would get the best results from the compressor? bolt on .55? or the .70 t3? I'm thinking the t3 would be better.

t3 would be better. But that compressor flows similar to the 7blade hx35 compressor wheel. And several have been posting higher numbers than 54-55lb/min with the bolton housing. If you're willing to accept the same spool speed as a bolton hx40 (20psi at about 4200rpms in 3rd with a 2.0), then get the larger housing and have an even more pumpgas friendly turbo (more power per psi of boost). But depending on your intent and goal, you may be very happy with the bolton housing with that combination of wheels.

what's the record for hx40 w/ the bep .55 a/r housing? i know talondave made a 10.39 with the bigger housing but has anyone made numbers like that for the smaller housing?

I figured I'd post this up in here. I will be running an hx35 w/.55 bolt-on housing on my rwd(89 d50) along with a GM th350 trans(using an h1c for mock-up). I think this may be the first rwd swap running a holset. Here are a few pics of the setup:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back