The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Holset Turbos, PART 6

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My hx-52 build is just getting underway. I ordered my rotating assembly last week from magnus motorsports. I got their 2.4l long rod billet kit. It will use their custom 9:1 pistons, aluminum rods, and crankshaft. Hopefully the added displacement and the better rod ratio will allow me to spool this monster faster and rev higher to give me a nice powerband.

The next item I plan on purchasing is a manifold, but I am not sure what would work best. I am thinking about the shearer top mount, but I am worried about fit and clearance with my 2g. Do any of you hx52 guys have any info on that?

Thanks,
Justin

If you plan on running a hx52 and a top mount with that kinda engine setup fabricating better be something you ca get done or know how to do because some parts will have to be one off to make the setup run right. If you do sounds like you will have a real nice setup :thumb:

Something tells me that demand will go up by mid season :p

Finally, after years it is good to see Holsets are moving again... LOL

The O2 housings for the Mitsu bolt-on ideally are two:
-EVO3 O2, which is bigger than 2G and when ported can get much bigger than 63-64mm exducer of turbine wheel.
- Punishment racing used to make 3" O2 housing, they probably will make another, if someone requests. The only problem with that is because of the 3" size, the other part of the O2 housing, where usually external WG is mounted OFF the housing is too small and might not be big enough to relieve/divert the desired amount of exhaust gases. If you have your WG OFF the manifold, you are golden, if not, Evo3 O2 housing is your best bet guys.:rocks:

If you plan on running a hx52 and a top mount with that kinda engine setup fabricating better be something you ca get done or know how to do because some parts will have to be one off to make the setup run right. If you do sounds like you will have a real nice setup :thumb:

Right now, my main concern is with the manifold/downpipe setup. I'm not dead set on the top mount. I am also looking at the JHR manifold. I think once I get that worked out, either myself or a local machine shop can handle the rest. There is a lot of work to be done though.

Right now, my main concern is with the manifold/downpipe setup. I'm not dead set on the top mount. I am also looking at the JHR manifold. I think once I get that worked out, either myself or a local machine shop can handle the rest. There is a lot of work to be done though.

amen to that. It's even harder to do all that while trying to not sacraficing streetability. That's why I'm trying to sell my kirkey because the gf isn't a big fan of the aluminum seat with cover

Haha I saw this same ad on craigslist, and I was sooo tempted to give him a call, but I really want a HX40, so I didn't want to settle even though that HX35 - with the "spare parts turbo" included - was a steal. Good stuff man :hellyeah:

I thought it was a damn good deal especially for two of them, I can sell one if needed too. I called the guy as soon as I saw them, im going to pick them up today.:D

I thought it was a damn good deal especially for two of them, I can sell one if needed too. I called the guy as soon as I saw them, im going to pick them up today.:D

So would it be the good one for half of what you payed?:D;) Or would it be the bad one for less then half since it needs rebuiltROFL.:p

Finally, after years it is good to see Holsets are moving again... LOL

The O2 housings for the Mitsu bolt-on ideally are two:
-EVO3 O2, which is bigger than 2G and when ported can get much bigger than 63-64mm exducer of turbine wheel.
- Punishment racing used to make 3" O2 housing, they probably will make another, if someone requests. The only problem with that is because of the 3" size, the other part of the O2 housing, where usually external WG is mounted OFF the housing is too small and might not be big enough to relieve/divert the desired amount of exhaust gases. If you have your WG OFF the manifold, you are golden, if not, Evo3 O2 housing is your best bet guys.:rocks:

Hmm, I have the punishment 2.5 recir o2 housing w/ 38mm external gate right now mounted off the o2 housing. I used to have a Evo3 o2 housing on there, I never considered the punishment piece to hinder flow, I just knew it worked better for controlling, and holding boost to redline, thus were I seen my gains.
Most people are probably doing off the o2 external gates now days, being a lot of people are running Fp manis etc. It would be nice to see a bigger and better flowing o2 housing on the market for those running external gate. I wonder how much your actually loosing though, especially if the rest of the exhaust system is above par.

Also are any of you porting your BEP tubine housings for more flow, or just slapping them on with your hx35s and 40s?

we're on boost - thanks for your review.

I plan on running my HX35 with .55ar housing here this month. your review scares me.

Hmm, I have the punishment 2.5 recir o2 housing w/ 38mm external gate right now mounted off the o2 housing. I used to have a Evo3 o2 housing on there, I never considered the punishment piece to hinder flow, I just knew it worked better for controlling, and holding boost to redline, thus were I seen my gains.
Most people are probably doing off the o2 external gates now days, being a lot of people are running Fp manis etc. It would be nice to see a bigger and better flowing o2 housing on the market for those running external gate. I wonder how much your actually loosing though, especially if the rest of the exhaust system is above par.

Also are any of you porting your BEP tubine housings for more flow, or just slapping them on with your hx35s and 40s?

FP sells 2.5" and 3" o2 housings and they claim no improvement in performance with the 3". But the thing here with the BEP housing and punishment o2 housing is that the BEP outlet flange is larger than the Punishment o2 housing inlet flange, making a step that theoretically causes lots of turbulence. I think the best thing to do is port the Punishment flange just a little bit so there is a gradual decrease in diameter rather than a sudden step.

I believe most people just slap the BEP housing on without porting, as I'd imagine porting a stainless steel housing to be a huge pain.

I believe most people just slap the BEP housing on without porting, as I'd imagine porting a stainless steel housing to be a huge pain.

Porting SS is a HUGE PITA. It's a lot of work and time. I must have spent about 3-4 hours working on my 3" O2 housing to match the outlet of the BEP to the O2 housing. It still wasn't perfect but I was so exhausted and I already was seeing the actually 3" pipe through the work done on the flange. I have no clue why BEP make their outlet so large on the mitsu housings. Come to think about it I still have my O2 housing laying around somewhere in the garage. I think I might decide to play with it some more and snap some pics just to show how much material I had to remove. I'm just getting ready to do some head work tomorrow on the talon so I would already have my stuff handy.

As others have alluded, there's no where to port it for more flow. The housing inlet is already matched to the 7cm^2 manifold outlet and the housing outlet is already larger than the evo3 o2 housing inlet. Porting at the turbine inlet only helps flow if you don't have the seal ring. The bep housing comes with no step for the seal ring in the first place. So there would be no gain in opening it up there and then just having it neck down where airflow gets to the actual volute.

Hey guys im in the process of trying to install my H1C it came with the 21cm housing so i new that was gonna be way to laggy for my setup so i decided to go with a 12cm housing. I was thinking the 12cm housing would be fine and bolt up to my manny but i was WRONG im haveing some major fitment issue's!!! Heres some pics of what im talking about.

WHAT WOULD BE MY EASIEST AND CHEAPEST SOLUTION TO THIS.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Hey guys im in the process of trying to install my H1C it came with the 21cm housing so i new that was gonna be way to laggy for my setup so i decided to go with a 12cm housing. I was thinking the 12cm housing would be fine and bolt up to my manny but i was WRONG im haveing some major fitment issue's!!! Heres some pics of what im talking about.

looks like youre gonna need a spacer.

As others have alluded, there's no where to port it for more flow. The housing inlet is already matched to the 7cm^2 manifold outlet and the housing outlet is already larger than the evo3 o2 housing inlet. Porting at the turbine inlet only helps flow if you don't have the seal ring. The bep housing comes with no step for the seal ring in the first place. So there would be no gain in opening it up there and then just having it neck down where airflow gets to the actual volute.

Is the oem evo3 o2 housing gasket too small for the BEP housing?

Damn hopefully my hx35 fits better than that..

If you notice, that manifold outlet is much more perpendicular to the head flange. An fp, stock, or evo3 manifold angles the turbine housing away from the block more. I've worked with the DNP-style manifolds and they have alot more angle at the outlet.

Hey whats up Matt. I would get this Flange, some longer bolts/studs and 2 Gaskets.
eBay Motors: Exhaust Manifold Flange 4G63 1G, 2G, EVO, Galant Vr4 (item 120359579534 end time Apr-05-09 18:22:33 PDT)

You will need 1 gasket to go between the engine and the flange. And another gasket to go between the Flange and the Exhaust Manifold.
That will hopefully be enough to get you lined up. If NOT then you can sell me your manifold and buy a different one that fits better. :)

Just bought an hx35. Going to give it a try. if anyone has the bep bolt on mitsu housing for sale lmk.

Ok this is really bothering me. I have a spare hx35 laying around from my uncles 96 Ram. But there doesn't appear to be any "inlet" opening in the larger part of the compressor housing (the webbed part where the stock silencer ring covers). Can someone snap a picture showing me those "inlets"? I'm thinking this isn't an hx35.

I was thinking the 12cm housing would be fine and bolt up to my manny but i was WRONG im haveing some major fitment issue's!!! Heres some pics of what im talking about.

If your manifold positions the turbine housing that close to the block, the giant compressor cover of the Holset will never fit.

We ran into a similar issue when installing a GT35R (.82 a/r T3 turbine housing) on a 1G using a Turbonetics cast manifold. The angle of the turbo mounting flange wasn't at a steep enough angle to prevent the turbine housing from hitting the block at the front balance shaft tube.

There were a couple possible solutions:

- Plug the threaded holes on the Turbonetics manifold, mill the flange at a steeper angle, then redrill and retap the holes to mount the turbo.

- Use a spacer at the head to set the manifold out slightly. This would require two exhaust manifold gaskets and longer studs.

- Find a manifold similar to yours, cut the turbo flange off and reweld it at a steeper angle.

We ended up finding a good deal on a used South Florida Performance manifold that already had the turbo flange welded at a steep enough angle for the .82 a/r turbine housing to clear the block.

The second photo illustrates how much steeper the angle of the turbo flange is on the SFP than your manifold.

The SFP manifold is no longer available, but it is nearly identical (visually) to the ERL Cast Stainless manifold....although I'm sure the ERL manifold is a better-built piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back