The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Holset Turbos, PART 6

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I called bep today and they said that was the correct marking for the hx35 housings. They also said to port the housing to 1.5" drill or 38mm. I'm running a 40 mm get and wondering if this is going to effect creap?

Anybody care to comment or have any input about using an HX-40 with the 6blade compressor wheel and the 12 blade turbine wheel in the BEP .55 a/r housing?

Spool-up characteristics on a 2.0, BC 272 cams, 1g TB and JMF street and strip intake manifold on an otherwise stock long block minus ARP headstuds.

Most likely gonna be running e-85.

I have all supporting mods, fuel, tuning, etc. covered.................................... for the exception of a built block. That's gonna be my limiting factor, I know. BUT, it's a VERY healthy, super low mileage, un-abused bottom end. :cool:

Just looking for some opinions specifically on the 6/12 combo in the BEP .55 a/r housing.

25psi around 4500 or better

Good spool/response before 4, 20psi at 4.

6/12 HX40 BEP .55a/r Mitsu Bolton, 272's, SMIM, 2.0 some exhaust/boost leaks.

25psi around 4500 or better

Good spool/response before 4, 20psi at 4.

6/12 HX40 BEP .55a/r Mitsu Bolton, 272's, SMIM, 2.0 some exhaust/boost leaks.

Thanks kawboy. I take it these results are from your current set-up?

I didn't take a look at your mods, but do you have a built bottom end? Stock? Stock compression ratio? Just curious.

Thanks for the 25psi. mentioning. Gives me a good idea of things. I'd like to try to end up at about the 26-28 psi range.

I'm trying to take notes for a direct comparison between this combo and an HX-35 with the 7blade compressor wheel. With the HX-35 being the only thing different in the equation.

I know spool will be quicker.............. probably seeing that 25psi you mentioned above at or about 4000 rpm, so about 500 rpm sooner, but that is just a guess.

Really all in all, I'm gonna be using the BEP .55 a/r whether it's with the HX-35 or the HX-40, I'm just trying to see what is really BEST for me.

I'm thinking the HX-40 combination I posted above, because I can achieve my end result with less boost pressure but I wonder how much less......................

By the way kawboy........................... I'm not all that far from you. I live in the Lehigh Valley area of Pennsylvania. I'm only a few minutes away from hopping on 78 and about 10-15 minutes overall from being able to cross into Jersey from Pennsylvania.

Maybe we'll have to meet up sometime. :aha:

Thats cool

I also have a 99 GSX with a 6 bolt that I'm gonna sell soon

I also frequent the NEPA area

But back on topic.. I built the motor, Wiseco 8.3:1

I sold the .55 A/R and went .70 A/R T3. I wanted more topend and more power on pump gas without going to meth or e85 or c16. With a ramhorn style mani (which is said to lose spool and favor topend) I'm seeing 25psi at exactly 5k.

OK. :hmm:

Anybody besides kawboy running the 6blade compressor 12blade turbine HX-40 in a .55 a/r turbine housing?

Just curious. Thanks.

I'm trying to install my hx-35 and ran into a conflict. I've read that you need to have the oil feed and return straight up and down. If I do that then the compressor outlet will be faced to the block. For some reason the compressor housing has a notch on it that it can only go one way. So is that how they all are or do I have some freek. It's an 7blad by the way. Some one please chime in, I'm want to finish this today.

My HX35 doesn't have an index pin, I can rotate the compressor housing 360 deg.

I would take a die grinder to the pin and grind it flat if you are unable to remove it by other means.

I'm trying to install my hx-35 and ran into a conflict. I've read that you need to have the oil feed and return straight up and down. If I do that then the compressor outlet will be faced to the block. For some reason the compressor housing has a notch on it that it can only go one way. So is that how they all are or do I have some freek. It's an 7blad by the way. Some one please chime in, I'm want to finish this today.

I had the same problem with my hx40 so I just cut off the pin and clocked the housing to fit perfectly.

If I purchase a 7 blade HX-35 and have the appropriate sorting mods, would I be better off buying the ERL T3 manifold and a Tial 38mm wastegate as opposed to buying the BEP .55 housing and running the standard mitsu flange and O2 housings? The cost of each is about equal but was wondering if I would have more potential with the ERL manifold as opposed to say an FP manifold, BEP housing, and some type of wastegated O2 housing? I have time to assemble the parts so I'm in no rush. Just was wondering about opinions on this kind of setup. I'm also planning on feeding from the head (no BS) with an inline electronic oil pressure gauge in the cabin so I can keep an eye on oil pressure. My dash gauge reads pretty high so I'm a bit worried about oiling issues on a Holset. Any advice is appreciated!

Todd.

If you want to get 60lb/min out of your 7blade hx35 I recommend the stock turbine housing or a BEP .70 a/r turbine housing and a manifold that will bolt it on. Your spool will NOT be like others with the bolt on housing. So don't expect 16g-18g spool speed with such a setup. But you will have a 60lb/min setup.

The ERL manifold looks good and seams to perform very well. Also it seams not to have the block clearance issues with these larger a/r turbine housings that other manifolds have.

Thank you Matt - will the 7-blade perform well in the .55 BEP housing or is that a poor match for that compressor? I'm not really concerned with spool (4K-4500 is fine if that helps) and actually getting a laggier turbo is one of my goals with this setup. My car does see winter in the Great Lakes Region and with my current motor and tune, my 16G is so spool-happy it's annoying to be honest. I'll look into the .70 BEP housing, I wasn't aware of such an animal, just the .55. Thanks for the advice!

Todd.

Gotcha, that makes sense. Thanks again.

Does anyone know where to get a turbine inlet gasket for a stock HX35 divided housing? I was just about to order one from High Tech Turbo, but shipping via UPS ground was going to be $25...not happening.

Does anyone know where to get a turbine inlet gasket for a stock HX35 divided housing? I was just about to order one from High Tech Turbo, but shipping via UPS ground was going to be $25...not happening.

Any dodge dealer should be able to get you one. It might be cheaper the go to either a big truck dealer(peterbilt, freightliner) or a cummins dealer since dodge will be marking up the price. You might not have much luck on the phone with a truck dealer though because they usually want to look everything up with a VIN or an engine serial number. If you take the housing to them they will be more likely to help. Just tell them its for a 5.9 cummins

I think I have about three of them at the shop if you need one....two postage stamps should cover shipping (88 cents).

Thank you Matt - will the 7-blade perform well in the .55 BEP housing or is that a poor match for that compressor? I'm not really concerned with spool (4K-4500 is fine if that helps) and actually getting a laggier turbo is one of my goals with this setup. My car does see winter in the Great Lakes Region and with my current motor and tune, my 16G is so spool-happy it's annoying to be honest. I'll look into the .70 BEP housing, I wasn't aware of such an animal, just the .55. Thanks for the advice!

Todd.

jrohner is right, look at the bep .70 a/r housing. But in all practicality, the stock 12cm^2 t3 divided housing that comes with the hx35 gives you great flow. The stock hx35 hotside (housing and turbine wheel) has done 132mph with a full weight 1g :) . It's got enough flow to see the full potential of the 7blade hx35 compressor. And it's free. You will need to fab up your own o2 housing vs. buying what ever fits on the .70 a/r bep housing. But still that will be cheaper. AND the turbine housing is already there, free since you buy whole hx35s usually. . . Be sure to radius the divider or get hte PTE t3 divided gasket made for open headers to match up to divided t3 housings.

So I am sitting here with my hx-40... changed my mind once again. What would be the smallest t4 flanged divided housing for the hot side thats avalable, any ideas where i might come accross one?
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back