The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Holset Turbos, PART 6

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a HX35W off of ebay and it arrived today. How do you rotate all the separate parts of the turbo so that it is all aligned properly? The hotside has 4 bolts holding it to the center piece and those look like I could just loosen and rotate. The part that is confusing me is the oil feed/drain on the center in relation to the coldside. The coldside looks like it needs to be rotated about 90 degrees so that the feed can be on the top and drain on the bottom. Can I just release that big ass snap ring and rotate it or would that require rebalancing? Thanks, can't wait to get this thing on my talon and start making some power.

I got the Holset done last night.. OMG is all i got to say!! I only did one little 3 gear pull and it slammed to 20psi and blew a coupler.. The only one i forgot to bead.. It was 11 when i got done so im going to do some more logging and post some results.. I also made a tutorial of my install on a 2g with a BEP housing.. I would really like people to chime in on it.. It seems like the 6 bolt people would have an easier time installing the turbo.. Im going to take more pics and add them into the thread..

The sound they make is Fing nuts!! I live in the country kind of and my house is about 1/8 mile away from the main road but it is all open farm land. They could hear the spool from the house.. My exhaust quieted down big time so all it is now is spool.. Its SOOOO nasty!!

I got the Holset done last night.. OMG is all i got to say!! I only did one little 3 gear pull and it slammed to 20psi and blew a coupler.. The only one i forgot to bead.. It was 11 when i got done so im going to do some more logging and post some results.. I also made a tutorial of my install on a 2g with a BEP housing.. I would really like people to chime in on it.. It seems like the 6 bolt people would have an easier time installing the turbo.. Im going to take more pics and add them into the thread..

The sound they make is Fing nuts!! I live in the country kind of and my house is about 1/8 mile away from the main road but it is all open farm land. They could hear the spool from the house.. My exhaust quieted down big time so all it is now is spool.. Its SOOOO nasty!!

Nice! The sound holset make are like non other :) They are extremely vocal and loud!

thanks for the review it got me all excited about my build again!

Lol, we need a video of this!. There's not too many videos of any Holset DSM's on youtube, just maybe 8?

Ya i started tuning it on dsmlink last night.. At 18 psi im logging 32ish lbs/min. Im on my girlfreinds laptop so i dont have my logs right now.. My laptop died!! Its defidently not as fast as the 16g yet but im still 7psi less than i was with the 16g.. I SOO wish i would have taken a video with the 16g and then with the holset.. The holset screams all the way up. My 16g logs would peak 39 lbs/min at like 5.7k and would start to drop.. The holset never fell.. The log on link shows a steady rise in lbs/min.. Im going to get my charger and get my laptop up so i can post some logs.. I did submit a tech article but it hasn't gone through yet...

I ordered a BEP housing from Tims Turbos yesterday, the mitsu bolt-on for the HX35. I was wanting to go with the ERL mani and T3 housing but it doesn't look like I'm going to get a good deal on the ERL anytime soon and I want to get this turbo on asap. I'm only looking for around 400-450 on the mustang dyno so if I end up not being able to do it on this setup, I'll start over with the T3. Tims really hooked it up, 267 shipped for the housing and he even threw in some clamps and hardware for me at no charge. I asked him about the restrictor and he said that .090 was what he usually recommended but definitely no smaller. I see alot of people using .067 and what not, is this because of feeding from the OFH and BS deleted? I also looked at that link to racepartsoluutions.com for the drain and I think I'll be going that route. Tims told me that this turbo needs a drain like a garden hose and the bigger the drain, the less need for a small restrictor. Thoughts on this?

p.s. This is what I'm looking at for an o2 housing right now, http://stores.punishment-racing.com/-strse-209/Talon-fdsh-Eclipse-Tial-MVS-38mm/Detail.bok , this seem like it would do the job or does anybody have suggestions for something better? Thanks

Im running PR 38mm recirced and it working great so far... I have a log for you guys at 18psi.. Just getting used to tuning this thing.. It sweet being able to add timing right now.. The 16g i was taking 2-3 degrees away.. Im going to post a log tonight of some more boost LOL.. Im gonna turn it up when i get out of class.

Attachments

• log.2009.10.21-03.elg
    3.7 KB · Views: 75
Im running PR 38mm recirced and it working great so far... I have a log for you guys at 18psi.. Just getting used to tuning this thing.. It sweet being able to add timing right now.. The 16g i was taking 2-3 degrees away.. Im going to post a log tonight of some more boost LOL.. Im gonna turn it up when i get out of class.

Wheres the tech article? Planning on having the same exact setup, I was going to run PR o2 housing w/ MVS Tial 38mm, but still won't clear stock driverside fan, so I plan on buying hx35 internally gated with BEP .55 Housing.

when you submit a tech article it says it has to be approved by a moderator.. I dont know if they are still reviewing it or it wasn't good enough.. If it doesn't pop up soon i will redo it.. I didn't take many finished product pics because it was dark.. Ill wait another day or so and just post it in this thread maybe..

jm1080, What manifold are you using? After reading your post, I'm wondering if my setup is going to clear my cooling system. I've got stock radiator with the two-piece fal fans that come shrouded.

Thanks, I moved that post to the I.D. thread, didn't wanna clutter this one up when there was already one created for that specific purpose. I was planning on sending it to him but this thing has an extremely tiny amount of shaft play and I've read that journal bearing turbos will tend to be like that when they haven't had any oil in them for a while. Quite a bit of oxidation on it but I'll try and clean it when my BEP housing gets in. I'm going to plan my oil feed as recommended, looking to go off of the head but I'm going to pick up an oil pressure gauge in the next few days and check it before I decide for sure. If it ends up going bad, I guess I'll have to send it out for a rebuild then ha ha.

when you submit a tech article it says it has to be approved by a moderator.. I dont know if they are still reviewing it or it wasn't good enough.. If it doesn't pop up soon i will redo it.. I didn't take many finished product pics because it was dark.. Ill wait another day or so and just post it in this thread maybe..

No problem, cant wait! You should post pics of your setup here for us 2g guys.

And to 92_talon_awd, I plan on using stock manifold, might port it along with the o2 housing. From what BEP states, the internal wastegate rating is 15psi-30+psi. Much cheaper route, than buying o2 housing, plus wastegate, plus still keeps stock fan, which is the main reason of me getting internally gated.

I'm interested to see how far those 680's will get you on pump gas. I plan on running a similar setup next spring using 650's. I'm still debating on whether to locate a wh1c so I can clock the compressor housing wherever I please or use a 7/8 blade 35 (you can still clock the housing). Everything looks good so far. I'd like to hear a pull with a gm-maf or speed density. :p

Well to tell you guys the truth i still fit in the stock fan on the passenger side.. I was very surprised but it did end up working... I dont think a fan on the drivers side it possible but you might beable to make it work..

Just to let you guys know if you don't have dsmlink you can still download it and look at logs.. Download the v3 version even if you plan on running v2 as you can run the v3 program in v2 mode.

I will diffidently take some pics of it tomorrow.. I wish my engine bay was cleaner but i dd it so it gets kind of nasty LOL.. Look in my profile for my mod list

The numbers aren't there yet but they will come. I tried to use my phone to make a video but all it picks up is random noise and not the turbo.. I will try to have someone take a video outside the car..

The BEP housing with the internal wastegate seems alittle inconsistent. All the things i have read on that internal gate has been bad. I spent 345 for the o2 housing and wastegate shipped... I went direct with BEP and got the housing less then what everyone sells them for. I got the turbo for 150 and made my oil lines.. I really cheaped out on this turbo set up.. I hope my tech article goes through and i can go revise it alittle.. I posted everything i used on this build.

Anyways here is my log at 20 psi.. I only get knock at 6k. I took some timing out there but 36 lb/min at 20 psi isn't bad.. my 16g was at 38-39 at 25psi..

Attachments

• log.2009.10.21-10.elg
    7.2 KB · Views: 65
hey viper, where did you read internal wastegates for BEP housing were not consistent? Ive only read 3 threads on here which was all I could find and didn't hear anything negative.

And damn I will be running 15psi at first with hx35, but it seems they don't flow as much as the 16g at that pressure. :confused:

The internal gate on the BEP housign is HUGE! it's great for holding 20psi and less. But it will blow open, unless you really wrestle with a solution that will keeput shut at higher rpms/demand and still open to keep boost from spiking very high at spoolup. I didnot enjoy my internally gated bep housing even witht eh laggy 60-1 I had. The hx35/h1c would have been a nightmare since it flows so much and spools so fast.

Viperlp01, That's almost exactly where I was with airflow on my bolton h1c (very similar) at that same boost. My 16g flowed 36lb/min at 2-3psi more boost. 16g at 22-23psi. My h1c at 20psi. . . .At 26+psi, things are SOOO different:sneaky:
My laptop died!! Its defidently not as fast as the 16g yet but im still 7psi less than i was with the 16g....
I was going to suggest just upping the timing. I got away with a little more timing than with the 16g, but I'm glad I scrolled down before replying :) In the end. . .at 2-3 psi less boost, my bolton hx35/h1c felt alot faster and netted much lower 70-90 times vs. the 16g with the identical setup (stock manifolds/fp2cams/openexhaust/link). And the 16g was NOT maxed out at all :) It spooled almost the same and flowed more earlier, which helped the link estimated torque curve actually. Then later I Was able to get ALOT more out of the compressor than any 16g can yield.

Ya im going to be messing with the timing.. I think i can add from 4k-5.5k and keep it stock a 6k up.. Im at 70% idc at 20psi so im going to up the boost tomorrow.. Ill go to 23 psi and see where im at. My 70-90 time is very impressive even though im flowing less lbs/min.. I didn't quite make it to 90 but i was damn close..

I'm looking for the thread patern for the holset oil feed. Can some one let me know? The thread in question is the part that screws into the turbo.

Well there is a fitting that should already be there.. That fitting is 12mx1.5 with an o-ring and then that has an inverted flare fitting that which is 3/8. Most people run 4an stainless line which is 1/4 npt so you will need an inverted flare 3/8 to a 1/4 npt which i dont think you can get at a hardware store, or you can just buy the oil drain fitting..

I made my fitting.. Its in my tech article that is waiting to be approved.. I took an inverted flare 3/8 to an inverted flare 3/8 and drilled it out with a 1/2 drill dit and then rethreaded it to 3/8 npt(I drilled deep enough to get rid of the inverted flare)and got a 3/8-1/4 npt 90* and just ran it in to my 4an stainless line... I can take pics of it and maybe do another one for one of my freinds and document it better..

Pipe thread is weird and tappers.. You don't need pipe tape if you use pipe thread because as the threads go deeper they get tighter and tighter.. If you use a 1/2 drill bit it will be very tight to srew your fitting in.. To tap a 3/8 npt fitting the chart recommends a 37/64(who has that!!) drill bit.. My buddy and I just said thats pretty close to 1/2 and i wanted a tighter fit...

edit** im going to change this.. so if you took my old calculations please disregard** I have to take a closer looka t my car to figure out exactly what i used.

I have everything setup I'm just looking to put a "T" in the line so I can put a gauge on it. I bought the ofh kit that extremem psi sells.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back