The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Holset Turbos, PART 7

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't tell is this usable with the BEP housing?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

yes it is your going to have to of course take that turbine housing off. Me personaly I would rather use the T3 that came with it.You will get more out of your turbo per psi. Im not sure you money situation so that might not be an option for you.

So I think I have a problem. There is oil on the turbo and some residue on the return line. It's not coming from the feed or return line. Looks like it is coming directly from the turbine housing. It doesn't pour out or anything, and you can't see anything at idle. The car is not smoking, and is boosting fine. What do you think?

So i just replaced my internal wg with a holset internal wg, the bep wg actuator went to shit.

Anywho, this turbo now hits really hard damn close to a 16G.

Good to hear Aaron. Told you that you should be running external. Make sure you mention that to all the mitsustyle guys too ;).

Joyfil, what is your oil pressure at redline?

Last edited:
I set Fil up with the same restrictor I set all of my Holset customers up with, and that's the same restrictor that Dave ran all of last year while beating the living piss out of his HX35. No smoke, no shaft play after one whole season of nothing but racing.

Good to hear Aaron. Told you that you should be running external. Make sure you mention that to all the mitsustyle guys too ;).

Joyfil, what is your oil pressure at redline?

I don't know. I don't have an oil pressuregauge other than stock.

I set Fil up with the same restrictor I set all of my Holset customers up with, and that's the same restrictor that Dave ran all of last year while beating the living piss out of his HX35. No smoke, no shaft play after one whole season of nothing but racing.

My car always gives me crap. I expected something to go wrong.

I have a fftec t4 divided manifold that i planned to use on my hx52 build for my 95. I have decided to go the top mount route for that now and wont be using that manifold. I would like to use the manifold on my 92 weekend warrior with an hx-40 pro.

So my question is, do they make a divided t4 turbine housing for the hx-40 pro?

I have a fftec t4 divided manifold that i planned to use on my hx52 build for my 95. I have decided to go the top mount route for that now and wont be using that manifold. I would like to use the manifold on my 92 weekend warrior with an hx-40 pro.

So my question is, do they make a divided t4 turbine housing for the hx-40 pro?

The two that i know of for the hx40 are a 17cm^2 and a 19cm^2.

And which restrictor is this? The one on ebay from a guy in Texas? -4AN in/-4AN out?

My h1c (old hx35) started showing more hertz and more volume flow than my small 16g as low as 4500rpms. With higher iat and 2psi less boost, 2lb/min more by 5500rpms all the way through to redline. Click.

More airflow at the same rpms = more torque.

Yours is an 8 blade right? I looked at link, good to see, but have you ran it on higher boost? When does it open up? Like when do you feel the pull harder than 16g? I ran my 16g to 27psi and it pulls hard slamming your neck back, just wonder how the pull is on hx35 at 27psi or so, I know it will flow more, but is it steady torque or is it like a big turbo where it slams you to seat all the way through the band?

Another question, from what I have read, to flow 47-50lbs of airflow you need a lot of boost if running BEP housing, since the housing is so small and restrictive. Like over 35psi to get in the 50lbs, is this correct?

Yours is an 8 blade right? I looked at link, good to see, but have you ran it on higher boost? When does it open up? Like when do you feel the pull harder than 16g? I ran my 16g to 27psi and it pulls hard slamming your neck back, just wonder how the pull is on hx35 at 27psi or so, I know it will flow more, but is it steady torque or is it like a big turbo where it slams you to seat all the way through the band?

Another question, from what I have read, to flow 47-50lbs of airflow you need a lot of boost if running BEP housing, since the housing is so small and restrictive. Like over 35psi to get in the 50lbs, is this correct?

I have gotten it to about 45lbs of airflow at 28psi.

It depends on the build. Here 28psi traps 500whp numbers in bolton. Here 26psi makes 500whp in bolton.

It was "pulling harder" with those logs there, at the lower boost and higher IAT. The "pull" is more linear. Spooling actually starts earlier but sees full about the same time. With the 16g, the boost comes on all at once. This is why I think it has that characteristic "hit". The turbine doesn't come into efficiency until a certain exhaust manifold backpressure or certain exhaust flow.

I saw a few pages back that someone using the hx-40 pro with a ts 17cm^2 housing was reaching 30psi by 4200 rpms! This sounds like the perfect setup for what I am looking for (550-600whp) out of this car. Does that housing come off of the wh1e or the h1e?

I came across an H1C for pretty cheap. Is it worth picking that up or should I still hold out for a 7 blade HX35? I plan to run the .55 housing and have no intention of doing anything more than mid 400s at most. Stock motor and trans after all.

If it has the 56mm inducer, it has the 8blade hx35 compressor. 7blade hx35 is way overkill for your goal. If it has the 54mm compressor inducer, it's a great turbo for your goal too. The 50-52mm ones could likely do it. The 44mm, not worth it at all.

54mm comes from the 1991-1993 INTERCOOLED cummins pickup. They have the webbing for the surge porting but no ports all the way through. The wh1c comes in the 1994 trucks and has the porting all the way through. The 50-52mm have no webbing. All three have a vband clamp to hold the COMPRESSOR cover to the backplate. The 44mm has no webbing for the surge ports and the compressor cover bolts onto the backplate.

Ultimately, what does the webbing do for me?

I've heard the HX35 is a loud turbo (spooling, etc) and I want to have that with whatever I get.

It depends on the build. Here 28psi traps 500whp numbers in bolton. Here 26psi makes 500whp in bolton.

It was "pulling harder" with those logs there, at the lower boost and higher IAT. The "pull" is more linear. Spooling actually starts earlier but sees full about the same time. With the 16g, the boost comes on all at once. This is why I think it has that characteristic "hit". The turbine doesn't come into efficiency until a certain exhaust manifold backpressure or certain exhaust flow.

Yes I have heard that the pull is more linear, where it does not "Hit" like the 16g, I want something to "HIT" like I have seen with fp3052 or fp green/50 trim, I know it can outflow those turbos, or stay even with fp3052, but the hit on 50 trim and similar turbos is incredible from what I have felt at around 26psi, it pulls your whole body to the seat, scared me the first time I rode in them. Now the 16g only hits your neck back a bit from my experience with the turbo, I'm just wondering if the "hit" is like those turbos where it scares you in a way :D

Hopefully that makes sense, tried to explain best I could hehe.

Yes I have heard that the pull is more linear, where it does not "Hit" like the 16g, I want something to "HIT" like I have seen with fp3052 or fp green/50 trim, I know it can outflow those turbos, or stay even with fp3052, but the hit on 50 trim and similar turbos is incredible from what I have felt at around 26psi, it pulls your whole body to the seat, scared me the first time I rode in them. Now the 16g only hits your neck back a bit from my experience with the turbo, I'm just wondering if the "hit" is like those turbos where it scares you in a way :D

Hopefully that makes sense, tried to explain best I could hehe.

It's more of a jet taking off feeling. You know you're moving and it just keeps pulling.

I saw a few pages back that someone using the hx-40 pro with a ts 17cm^2 housing was reaching 30psi by 4200 rpms! This sounds like the perfect setup for what I am looking for (550-600whp) out of this car. Does that housing come off of the wh1e or the h1e?

The housing i found was on a 8 blade hx40. Its internally gated. They can be hard to find though. It took me months to find one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back