The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Holset Turbos, PART 4

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I've decided on a Holset hx40 instead of a 4088 or an s366 like I originally intended to use on my car. Dsm-onster suggested earlier that I would probably want a standard hx40 (T4 hotside)with a 6 blade wheel ( I don't know if he meant 6 compressor blades or not) for best spool and power out of my 2.4. The only turbo's I've been able to find so far all have 7 or 8 blades on the compressor. I already have a divided t4 manifold. I don't know if the inducer sizes dsm-onster quoted to me ealier were the turbine exducer sizes or compressor size but he made it sound like a 6blade wheel with a 60mm inducer would be ideal. The turbo I'm looking at right now is a 7blade with a 56.6mm compressor inducer and a 76mm turbine inducer. The listing does not mention if it is a 19cm^2 A/R housing or not, only that it is a divided T4. Is this turbo well suited for a built 2.4 and 700whp?

eBay Motors: Holset Turbo Turbocharger Large HX 40 HX40 Diesel Hot (item 220270325218 end time Aug-24-08 14:13:58 PDT)

4" Inlet Diameter

3" Compressor Outlet Diameter

T4 Divided Entry Exhaust Inlet

4" Exhaust V-Band Outlet

Journal Bearing

800 HP+

Compressor Wheel

72 lb/min Air Flow

Ind: 56..6 mm

Exd: 74.71 mm

Trim: 54.8

Turbine Wheel

4" V-Band

Ind: 76 mm

Exd: 64 mm

A 56mm 7blade compressor is an hx35 compressor wheel. . .

I don't remember ever seeing any differences in the compressor wheels for HX35. I have two, one is brand new assembled this year or last with a 7 blade compressor at 54mm or so (hard to measure 7 blades) and the other is from a 1998 still labeled HX35 and has an 8 blade compressor wheel at 56mm. Did I miss the post on flow differences on the HX35 wheels? Anyone able to provide insight?

No I don't think you missed anything. I've been looking around for years. And all I came up with was that they flow and perform so close to the same that holset never revised the map.

Less fins allows for more flow without getting in the way of the air. A larger inducer allows more flow because more air is grabbed. So I can see the difference being minimal.

No I don't think you missed anything. I've been looking around for years. And all I came up with was that they flow and perform so close to the same that holset never revised the map.

Less fins allows for more flow without getting in the way of the air. A larger inducer allows more flow because more air is grabbed. So I can see the difference being minimal.

This contradicts what I have been reading threwout these threads so far. I thought the 7 blade was more efficent than the 6 blade?

Google "super 40" and "7 blade" and holset. According to my research at TDR Roundtable, best diesel forum and pile of diesel info anywhere, the 7 blade has the same inducer. The 6 blade and 7 blade have about the same flow but the 7blade is more efficent, the 6-blade peaks out a little higher in flow. There's a super 40 and a redesigned super 40. For a while I was confused on what holset built. . .

Flow and efficiency are not interchangeable. The more blades the more efficienct and the fatter the efficiency islands become on a map. The extra blades prevents the air molecules from bumbling around as much adding to friction and adiabatic temperature rise. However there's a pocket of dead space that develops which trails every blade at high compressor rpm. Ths is called cavitation. The more blades the more volume of the wheel is taken by cavitation. This reduces peak flow.

The LARGE 7blade htturbo and other diesel shops have been talking about have an inducer more than 3mm larger than the 6-blade 60mm. Flow and efficiency are not interchangeable. The more blades the more efficienct and the fatter the efficiency islands become on a map. The extra blades prevents the air molecules from bumbling around as much adding to friction and adabiatic temperature rise. However there's a pocket of dead space that develops which trails every blade at high compressor rpm. Ths is called cavitation. The more blades the more volume of the wheel is taken by cavitation. This reduces peak flow.

Understood. But then why is it not a factor at lower rpms? Even though the blades may be spinning slower if its' still blocking some of the air it should still be less effeicent not more :confused: I guess the real question is ehat makes the 7 blade more efficent than the 6 blade now that you have stated what makes the 6 blade have a greater peak flow than the 7 blade.

The 7 blade can "grab" more air at lower RPMs. Its a fluid dynamics problem. Cavitation occurs when the pressure differential across the turbine is higher than the flow can support. When you pinch a garden hose and hear bubbles in the hose after the pinch, its not from air in the hose already. Its because the local pressure drops so much after the pinch (technical term would be a throttling valve) that the water boils. This is exactly how an AC system works. Aerodynamics of propellers for airplanes is the same principle. More blades = more thrust at lower speeds. After a certain either propeller speed or aircraft speed they are no longer efficient. Attack angle of the blades has a big effect too.

Anyone feel free to correct any part of this thats wrong. Been a while since I took aerodynamics or fluid dynamics.

At what point does the ability to grab more air assosiated with more blades equal or become less than the ability for more air being able to flow past less blades? Is it a amount of air flow thing a blade speed factor or a pressure factor? Or all of the above as of course they're all related?

At what point does the ability to grab more air assosiated with more blades equal or become less than the ability for more air being able to flow past less blades? Is it a amount of air flow thing a blade speed factor or a pressure factor? Or all of the above as of course they're all related?

Its both a blade speed factor and a pressure/flow factor. There is a point where the extra blades just get in the way basically. Depends on angle of attack of the blades too. I'm trying to think of a way to watch it happen without using Fluent or another CFD program I don't have access to any more. There is a program thats free out there somewhere I can't remember the name of that could show the effects in a table but I can't think of what its called for the life of me.

Observation Of Collapsing Root-Cavitation Using a High-Speed Video Camera

A decent video page showing the effects of cavitation in water. Not exactly the same but similar principle.

Good explanation! Either way. There's no different super 40 maps. The 7 blade is a revision. And part of the revision was to cure an infrequent failure in the hx40 shaft. Some hx40s exhibited this failure while SO many others under the same conditions were fine. The number of blades sets up a harmonic vibration in the charger. . . the odd number of blades could have been used to solve for possible damaging harmonic issues. Who knows.

Like I said, though, there's no differing super 40 maps though the 6-blade super 40 wheel was revised. So there's likely very little difference in performance between the 2. Don't worry slippy you have a 60mm 66lb/min compressor :thumb:

Simply, the lower the rpm the less likely you'll reach cavitation that will cause a loss in flow. But the catch is there usually needed a higher rpm from the compressor to sustain a higher flow.

Good explanation! Either way. There's no different super 40 maps. The 7 blade is a revision. And part of the revision was to cure an infrequent failure in the hx40 shaft. Some hx40s exhibited this failure while SO many others under the same conditions were fine. The number of blades sets up a harmonic vibration in the charger. . . the odd number of blades could have been used to solve for possible damaging harmonic issues. Who knows.

Like I said, though, there's no differing super 40 maps though the 6-blade super 40 wheel was revised. So there's likely very little difference in performance between the 2. Don't worry slippy you have a 60mm 66lb/min compressor :thumb:

Lol yeah I wasn't worried just curious. This thing makes my old SBR GT14 look like a 14b even though that was SUPOSEDLY a 65lb/min turbo LOL.

This is over a year old. But I'm just linking this to here, so that the holset information can be a little more compiled. . .

New times on the Holset HX-35. He would have definately bumped into a 10sec ET if he could achieve a 1.6-1.7sec 60Ft. if he were running 30si and a better lauch, that would have sealed the deal for 10sec. 11.29sec @ 126.12MPH

272s, stock intake manifold, stock transmission (no high rpm shiftingLOL), stock 2.0L block, bolton BEP housing with evo3 exhaust manifold, GM MAFT and DSMLink. 500whp trap speed (126.12) with a stock 1g awd weight at 1600feet altitude with 225 50 series street radials.

. . . Faster than any fpgreen powered car within 200lbs of full weight listed in dsmtimes.org.

This is over a year old. But I'm just linking this to here, so that the holset information can be a little more compiled. . .

New times on the Holset HX-35. He would have definately bumped into a 10sec ET if he could achieve a 1.6-1.7sec 60Ft. if he were running 30si and a better lauch, that would have sealed the deal for 10sec. 11.29sec @ 126.12MPH

272s, stock intake manifold, stock transmission (no high rpm shiftingLOL), stock 2.0L block, bolton BEP housing with evo3 exhaust manifold, GM MAFT and DSMLink. 500whp trap speed (126.12) with a stock 1g awd weight at 1600feet altitude with 225 50 series street radials.

. . . Faster than any fpgreen powered car within 200lbs of full weight listed in dsmtimes.org.

That thread has given me such high hopes. 300 miles of clutch break-in and we'll see how I can do in a 2g with meth. Hoping for some track times in two sundays. Pray to the DSM gods I don't frag my bottom end.

You have a 7-bolt. I will pray for you. They are GREAT blocks. The only more durable factory 4cylinder block is the 6-bolt. Or the 2.3 Lima turboford.

Tim (TimG). I don't think the compressor is too small or inefficient to run low 11s high 10s. You have a larger a/r housing since you're running a stock hx35 housing on a non-divided manifold. You should do way better with a better transmission. But, it loks like the stock hx35 turbine housing wasn't maxed out with your setup??? This guy has a stock intake manifold and was running 28psi with an evo3 exhaust manifold and the same cams.

I got my crank back. The DSMgods will smite my car. I had the crank cut .01" over OMG. So now add that to the list of bad dsm kharma: my lsd insert, pushing a fwd to more than 300whp, a 6 puck clutch for the street, a cheap holset from ebay, an ebay FMIC, ebay wastegate, homemade crap every where including the suspension, both balance shafts, and solid welded motormounts. . . Now add a cut crank.

Nice turbo. Looks like it's gonna be a lot of fun. But, on a more important note. DSM-onster, Can I have those top ramen noodles? Srsly, they OWN. LOL

These holset turbos look really impressive. I probably would have purchased one already but i'm having trouble finding an HX40 with a 60mm inducer and 6 or 7 blades on ebay or the diesel forums. The only issue I can see so far that makes it seem like a BW 366 turbo might be a better choice over a holset hx-40 is the incredibly high amount of boost badman had to use to make his 600+whp run. It seems like a 4088 or an s366 would have made that power with much less boost, or was this simply due to the restrictive turbine housing badman was using? Also, how much power/boost are most hx40's able to make on pump gas without knock?

These holset turbos look really impressive. I probably would have purchased one already but i'm having trouble finding an HX40 with a 60mm inducer and 6 or 7 blades on ebay or the diesel forums. The only issue I can see so far that makes it seem like a BW 366 turbo might be a better choice over a holset hx-40 is the incredibly high amount of boost badman had to use to make his 600+whp run. It seems like a 4088 or an s366 would have made that power with much less boost, or was this simply due to the restrictive turbine housing badman was using? Also, how much power/boost are most hx40's able to make on pump gas without knock?
I think you answered your question right there(small exh housing).

The pump gas knock question would also depend on your whole setup overall(intercooler,whole exh system,inj,tune) etc.

I don't know anyone who runs less than 38-40 psi and makes 650+ whp for a turbo as small as a 4088r or hx40 6-blade.

If you're looking for that kind of power, you're going to run a great exhaust manifold. Like a divided runner t4. Which the stock hx40 housing bolts up to. You can have any holset you buy used fitted and balanced with the 6blade wheel. The hx turbo wheels are individually balanced from the factory. . . But I would call HTturbo or similar and talk to them.

I don't know anyone who runs less than 38-40 psi and makes 650+ whp for a turbo as small as a 4088r or hx40 6-blade.

If you're looking for that kind of power, you're going to run a great exhaust manifold. Like a divided runner t4. Which the stock hx40 housing bolts up to. You can have any holset you buy used fitted and balanced with the 6blade wheel. The hx turbo wheels are individually balanced from the factory. . . But I would call HTturbo or similar and talk to them.

Or, a punishment racing divided T3 manifold and 45 psi :sneaky:

85mm COmpressor wheelWTFWTFWTF

I don't think he's talking about the right wheel. Maybe turbine wheel but not compressor. Hx40's have a 56-60mm compressor wheel. I think there is a super hx40 that has a slightly bigger wheel but a 85mm wheel sounds like the hx52 wheel. Other than that looks like a good deal.

The 6-blade hx40 is 84mm in diameter at the compressor exducer or overall diameter. That is the 60mm 6-blade super40 wheel. But is the turbine wheel the hx40 turbine wheel. Many diesel guys do the hx35/40 hybrid. And for a gas motor the hx35 turbine wheel is just too small for such a big compressor. You'll never gat out of it the power the 6-blade can deliver. So I'd verify the turbine wheel minor diameter (or exducer), especially since the turbine housing has a t3 inlet. It's not like you can see the id tag clearly :) . Just ask him for the turbine wheel measurements... It all look lagit and looks like the real deal. It is a 650whp turbo. IF that's what you want. You have NOTHING in your profile to suggest going half this big :) .

I also like the 16cm^2 turbine housing. This would be a good turbine housing to use with a t3 dividedrunner manifold. Should net good spool speed but still have decent flow at peak.

The 6-blade hx40 is 84mm in diameter at the compressor exducer or overall diameter. That is the 60mm 6-blade super40 wheel. But is the turbine wheel the hx40 turbine wheel. Many diesel guys do the hx35/40 hybrid. And for a gas motor the hx35 turbine wheel is just too small for such a big compressor. You'll never gat out of it the power the 6-blade can deliver. So I'd verify the turbine wheel minor diameter (or exducer), especially since the turbine housing has a t3 inlet. It's not like you can see the id tag clearly :) . Just ask him for the turbine wheel measurements... It all look lagit and looks like the real deal. It is a 650whp turbo. IF that's what you want. You have NOTHING in your profile to suggest going half this big :) .

I also like the 16cm^2 turbine housing. This would be a good turbine housing to use with a t3 dividedrunner manifold. Should net good spool speed but still have decent flow at peak.

Oh ok see no one had ever referenced the actual size of the supwer 40 just simply called it the super 40. That thing is a big tubro if that be the case. Has anyone run one of these yet to see how much they actually flow compared to the regular 60mm hx40's ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back