The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Holset Turbos, PART 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which I suppose is an even bigger wheel? Why would you want that from an advantage standpoint?

The larger turbine wheel will flow more air. Which means it will have less backpressure and the ablility to make more power.

Would it not increase the spool time with a larger wheel or is spol time dependant on the A/R of the hot side only?

You are correct. A larger turbine wheel is going to spool later, but larger turbine wheels are usually on larger compressor wheels which flow more air and can make more power.

The popular thing with hybriding turbos is putting the smaller turbine wheel with the larger compressor wheel. This is UP to a CERTAIN POINT. When the wheel sizes are too mismatched (compressor wheel too big, turbine too small.) This can HURT spool up. The larger compressor wheel makes the smaller turbine wheel work VERY Inefficient which hurts spool BADLY!!!

The HX35/40 hybrid is a good example. The largest compressor wheel usually used in this combo is the HX40 58mm compressor. Now there is a 60mm wheel, but when mated to the HX35 turbine wheel it does not spool as good as you would think and the back pressure goes up limiting the horsepower.

You are correct. A larger turbine wheel is going to spool later, but larger turbine wheels are usually on larger compressor wheels which flow more air and can make more power.

The popular thing with hybriding turbos is putting the smaller turbine wheel with the larger compressor wheel. This is UP to a CERTAIN POINT. When the wheel sizes are too mismatched (compressor wheel too big, turbine too small.) This can HURT spool up. The larger compressor wheel makes the smaller turbine wheel work VERY Inefficient which hurts spool BADLY!!!

The HX35/40 hybrid is a good example. The largest compressor wheel usually used in this combo is the HX40 58mm compressor. Now there is a 60mm wheel, but when mated to the HX35 turbine wheel it does not spool as good as you would think and the back pressure goes up limiting the horsepower.
So basically the setup I have is a perfect match for quick spool up and good pwr.

I'd still like to get the HX40 pro though ,and I'm still willing to part with this if anyone wants to try it out. Again it's brand new.

IMHO I like the HX40 in the BEP housing. They have made over 600whp and spool around 4000rpms.

We'll see. I ordered the 60mm inducer compressor wheel for the HX-35. I'll report back next season. :)

We'll see. I ordered the 60mm inducer compressor wheel for the HX-35. I'll report back next season. :)
Nice track #'s you have there Tim with the hx35.
Anyway what kind of increase are you looking for by replacing the 35 wheel with the bigger 40 wheel? Another thing,does the turbo need to be rebalanced when you chg the compressor wheel?

Anyway what kind of increase are you looking for by replacing the 35 wheel with the bigger 40 wheel? Another thing,does the turbo need to be rebalanced when you chg the compressor wheel?

The kits from HTT are balanced and they claim you don't have to do anything but bolt them up. One of my friends runs a compressor upgrade for an H1C on his Cummins diesel. Runs ~40psi for several thousand miles since he installed it. It still has negligible shaftplay the same as when it was first installed. Way more abuse than your typical DSM is going to dish out on one of these things.

The HX-35 is a great bang for the buck turbo but I want more out of it so I'm going with the 60mm compressor kit from HTT.

Of course it needs to be rebalanced. Even the slightest fraction of a gram offset onto one side of the wheel will cause zero fun for your turbo bearings. I'm sure they come perfectly symmetrical but whose to say the exhaust side is? Therefor it should be balanced as a full rotating assembly.

The kits from HTT are balanced and they claim you don't have to do anything but bolt them up. One of my friends runs a compressor upgrade for an H1C on his Cummins diesel. Runs ~40psi for several thousand miles since he installed it. It still has negligible shaftplay the same as when it was first installed. Way more abuse than your typical DSM is going to dish out on one of these things.
Thanx!

I think I'll also wait and see Tim's results in the meantime when he actaully puts on the 6 bladed 60mm HX40 wheel on his HX35.

I wish I was also able to chg the turbine wheel to an HX40 turbine wheel but I was told by Bulseye that it would be impossible to convert my hybrid 40/35 turbo into a full blown HX40 pro.

The HX-35 is a great bang for the buck turbo but I want more out of it so I'm going with the 60mm compressor kit from HTT.

Of course it needs to be rebalanced. Even the slightest fraction of a gram offset onto one side of the wheel will cause zero fun for your turbo bearings. I'm sure they come perfectly symmetrical but whose to say the exhaust side is? Therefor it should be balanced as a full rotating assembly.
:thumb: That's what I kinda thought.

That one does not have to be rebuilt. And a new one costs 4 times the current bid. . . ???
How do you know?

Let's talk about the final bid! That would make more sense,especially with 3.5 days left. Currently it's at $203.00,used and abused! I already priced what a new one would cost and it's a little less than 4 times the current bid. If the price were to stay below 300.00 it would perhaps be a good buy.

For someone that wants to use a BEP(Mitsu or Garret flanged) turbine housing instead of that split one and go external wastegate, it would be better just buying a new one when all costs add up IMOP.

How do you know?

Let's talk about the final bid! That would make more sense,especially with 3.5 days left. Currently it's at $203.00,used and abused! I already priced what a new one would cost and it's a little less than 4 times the current bid. If the price were to stay below 300.00 it would perhaps be a good buy.

For someone that wants to use a BEP(Mitsu or Garret flanged) turbine housing instead of that split one and go external wastegate, it would be better just buying a new one when all costs add up IMOP.

Well I see your point, IF a new one sporting a BEP housing be had for $700 or so. It's been a while since I looked through the vendors who offer this. Wasn't there a vendor recently linked to which sold new holset chras w/ compressor covers?

EDIT: This new one sells for $1000 w/ the bep housing. None of these are less than $950. No BEP housing.

. . . I found this for $685 w/ no turbine housing (add . But, like I originally debated, that may not be a 6-blade. Though 900 cfm is plenty :) and in the ball park of the 6-blade results demonstrated. None of these can be had WITH a BEP housing for under $800, 4 times the current bid.

Well I see your point, IF a new one sporting a BEP housing be had for $700 or so. It's been a while since I looked through the vendors who offer this. Wasn't there a vendor recently linked to which sold new holset chras w/ compressor covers?

EDIT: This new one sells for $1000 w/ the bep housing. None of these are less than $950. No BEP housing.

. . . I found this for $685 w/ no turbine housing (add . But, like I originally debated, that may not be a 6-blade. Though 900 cfm is plenty :) and in the ball park of the 6-blade results demonstrated. None of these can be had WITH a BEP housing for under $800, 4 times the current bid.
Hold on Tonto! Hang in there!PM'd you!:thumb:

P.S. And remember,there are still 3.5 days left till this auction is over!!!

For any of you currently running this, has anyone looked into water pipes from other Mits engines? For instance, if memory serves me right, the 1.8 pipe rides higher on the block than the 2.0 pipe.

Sad thing is I've got all the parts boxed up (finished moving into a new house w/ a 40x30 shop!!) and just haven't had the time to dive back into my projects. Maybe this weekend, I'll see if I can locate the pipes I have (4g37, 4g15,4g63,4d65,4d68) and see if one routes higher on the block than the 4g63. Could be an easy solution to clearing the compressor cover.

I've been bidding on a few HX40's over the last few months. Most of them are the 7 and 8 bladed versions. Been getting them for my dad for farm equipment upgrades. 90% of them go between 280-350. This one will probably go a bit higher since its a 6 bladed, and has the small 16cm hotside though.

I've been bidding on a few HX40's over the last few months. Most of them are the 7 and 8 bladed versions. Been getting them for my dad for farm equipment upgrades. 90% of them go between 280-350. This one will probably go a bit higher since its a 6 bladed, and has the small 16cm hotside though.
Wait a minute,this same turbo was at 203.00 earlier today with 3.5 days left and now it's at 136.00! What gives?WTF
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodg...007QQitemZ170163629620QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Guess my info may have knocked down the price? Or is there something else wrng with this thing that the seller found out? Hmmmmmm!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back