The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Holset Turbos, PART 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
alright getting back to this thread. it took me 2 nights to install my holset hx35 and i did get the stock fan to work with a fluidine radiator :thumb:. lots of cutting but well worth it because i have not had a set of slimline fans that cool as well as the 1 stock fan.

only problem im having is that i cant keep the damn turbo return line from leaking. its a very tight fit against the motor mount. i cut a little away but it doesnt seem to be helping much. how much are you guys cutting away at the lower motor mount. im very scared about doing so with a car that will have 4-500hp...

What return line are you using??

PS Someone should really do a write up about installing the hx35 w/BE housing. That would really help future holset users and problems they will run into in during installation...

alright getting back to this thread. it took me 2 nights to install my holset hx35 and i did get the stock fan to work with a fluidine radiator :thumb:. lots of cutting but well worth it because i have not had a set of slimline fans that cool as well as the 1 stock fan.

only problem im having is that i cant keep the damn turbo return line from leaking. its a very tight fit against the motor mount. i cut a little away but it doesnt seem to be helping much. how much are you guys cutting away at the lower motor mount. im very scared about doing so with a car that will have 4-500hp...

I have a holset HX-35 on my car working well. What oil return line are you useing? The one that came with my BULLSEYE kit do not fit worth S$%. No matter what i did i could not get it to fit. I would have had to cut almost half the mount away to get it to fit.

I went down to the parts store and got a 45degree fitting that threaded into the mount on the turbo and directed it away from the mount then uses rubber hose down to the oil pan.

If you need i can get pics...

I also cut my mount a fair bit. I grinded away the lip basically 100% in the way. Mind you I'm not running the BEH. I'm full T3 Holset.

im using the crapy bullseye one also. im so PISSTED because where it sits right now it just leaks like a mofo and because i got a small taste of what this damn turbo can do (at 23psi) and now the car has to sit untill i get something that works. im running a 45 degree fitting right off the garret fitting and it still hits the motor mount with most of it grinded away. im scared to grind more away.

my buddy that helped me put the car together is putting a holset at on his car now. ill take lots of pics while installing it. it wasnt really that hard it just sucked having to modify the motor mount and fan. other then that it was a completle bolt on with the bullseye housing...

pics as promised...

Attachments

• IMG_0640.jpg
    IMG_0640.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 559
  • IMG_0641.jpg
    IMG_0641.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 574
  • IMG_0642.jpg
    IMG_0642.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 562
  • IMG_0643.jpg
    IMG_0643.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 555
  • IMG_0644.jpg
    IMG_0644.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 560
  • IMG_0645.jpg
    IMG_0645.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 568
dnhieu: what kind of setup is your friend running? how much boost and what rpm is it getting full boost?

im running the holset hx35. the lag isnt that bad. i would say i reach full boost with meth at around 3.8-4k. it pulls ALL THE WAY to 8k. the first time i went out i bounced it off the rev limitter. ushally feel the car for when to shift. i guess i cant do that anymore...haha...

Where did you dyno the car at 330WHP? Do you have a dyno graph and who dynoed it?

From my understanding, the H1E is similar to the HX-40. You should be making a lot more power with that turbo. The compressor wheel is comparable to the 3065 or GT4082 which should put you down over 400AWHP on a properly running, tuned set-up. I know Chris personally and he can get cars dialed in real well on that dyno.

Are you sure you don't have a H1C?

Ever been to the drag strip with the turbo on?

I haven't been to the drag strip yet. From what Chris was telling me I'm not flowing enough up top to make good power because my intake manifold is restricting me. It's an H1e for sure it says it on the tag. I'm probably losng power becuase I'm not using a restrictor for the oil like you guys and then there's the fact that the turbo has some shaft play and has around 173,000 k's on it.

I'm still on dsmlink v1, I'll be upgrading to the v2 soon that should make a difference.

I have a stock intake manifold as well. Did you take your compressor cover off and check for fin damage on the exducer? If you have axial in and out shaft play, those fins will start to grind down on the housing and impede on your airflow. Trust me, my H1E's wheel is toast.

DSMLink V2 won't make much of a difference, it just has a few more racing features to help drag.

Since your saying I should be making more power I guess I should go back to what I was initially fearing the fact that the bullseye housing was designed for an hx40 and I'm using an H1e. I measured the wheels and they appeared the same but this was with a ruler I don't have one of those calibrating tools.

I'm pretty sure this is the problem know because the wheels are fine and my entire setup is fine aswell. I already picked up an hx40 (8 Blade) and I'll stick it in as soon as winters over.

From my understanding, the H1E is similar to the HX-40. You should be making a lot more power with that turbo. The compressor wheel is comparable to the 3065 or GT4082 which should put you down over 400AWHP on a properly running, tuned set-up. I know Chris personally and he can get cars dialed in real well on that dyno.

Are you sure you don't have a H1C?

Ever been to the drag strip with the turbo on?
But remember the H1E uses 3 diferent types of wheels while the HX40 uses one. So it would really depend on which compressor wheel he has in the H1e.

But remember the H1E uses 3 diferent types of wheels while the HX40 uses one. So it would really depend on which compressor wheel he has in the H1e.

While there is more size variance in h1e compressors the hx40 still has at least three different common compressor wheels. All with drastically different flowrates.

Guys, I think it's time to show off your Holset setups with pics, vids, and even dyno sheets! :rocks: :thumb:

I've been bidding on a few HX40's over the last few months. Most of them are the 7 and 8 bladed versions. Been getting them for my dad for farm equipment upgrades. 90% of them go between 280-350. This one will probably go a bit higher since its a 6 bladed, and has the small 16cm hotside though.
What is the best size turbine hsing to run with an HX40 then?

i KNOW im making over 400 to the ground with my hx-35 with 23psi and meth. stock block, stock head, stock headstuds, stock intake manifold.

something isnt working right with your setup man...

i KNOW im making over 400 to the ground with my hx-35 with 23psi and meth. stock block, stock head, stock headstuds, stock intake manifold.

something isnt working right with your setup man...
I thought you'd be making more than that with that turbo at 23psi. Which I guess would depend on your mods and tune.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back