The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Holset Turbos, PART 8

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
SO i have some dsmlink logs to post.. I will add them when I get to the shop. The new mods list is up to date and I am pushing a break in boost of 14psi until next week. I am going to go to 20 and then start tuning with the meth. I must say the holset is making nasty power with the stroker and cams. I also took a ride in the fastest 4 cyl car I have ever been in. My buddys GVR4 2.3 stroker with a hx40 was sick fast..

Ok I got the buching back in place and that seemed to have helped the wastegate flapper move better, but the turbo still is laggy and wont boost any less then 25 psi. I applied air pressure to the actuator and it doesnt move until after 30 psi (from the air compressor!) I tired another actuator and its the same thing. The turbo hits 20 psi around 4800 RPM and 25 psi around 5000 RPM, I let off because im on pump gas. I was hoping to boost around 20psi. Any suggestions? Thanks

I suggest external gate. I run a Tial 44mm off my o2 housing an right now i'm running 20psi on pump gas with no issues. It Holds the boost steady with maybe only 1psi of flutter.

Ok I got the buching back in place and that seemed to have helped the wastegate flapper move better, but the turbo still is laggy and wont boost any less then 25 psi. I applied air pressure to the actuator and it doesnt move until after 30 psi (from the air compressor!) I tired another actuator and its the same thing. The turbo hits 20 psi around 4800 RPM and 25 psi around 5000 RPM, I let off because im on pump gas. I was hoping to boost around 20psi. Any suggestions? Thanks
The spring the the Holset actuator is apparently too stiff. You need something lighter to run less boost.

As for your lag issue, I'm thinking something is causing the flapper to hang open slightly. Either something is binding or the actuator arm isn't adjusted enough.

Im in the middle of my adjustment with a little bit of pressure on the flapper arm holding it closed. Ill mess with the adjustment a little bit this week sometime. Does anyone have a wastegate actuator they would let me borrow? If it works, Ill buy it from you, if not Ill send it back with the money it cost you to ship it to me. I tried one already and it moved even less then the one thats on it now. Thanks

How much you willing to pay for an 11,000 mile actuator off of a HX35 that works. :sneaky:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Did you test it with a compressor to see when it starts to open? How much do you want, would you be willing to trust me to test it and if it works, Il buy it from you? Id hate to just throw money at something and not have it fix my issue. I have tested 2 of them now, and both dont start to move until over 30psi on the air compressor. Mine looks identical to that one pictured. Let me know, thank you
Mike

Did you test it with a compressor to see when it starts to open? How much do you want, would you be willing to trust me to test it and if it works, Il buy it from you? Id hate to just throw money at something and not have it fix my issue. I have tested 2 of them now, and both dont start to move until over 30psi on the air compressor. Mine looks identical to that one pictured. Let me know, thank you
Mike

I think ive recommended this on the last thread, but you want a wh1c actuator if you are going to use a Holset actuator. I just tested mine and it starts moving around 13psi and is fully open less than 20psi.

I think ive recommended this on the last thread, but you want a wh1c actuator if you are going to use a Holset actuator. I just tested mine and it starts moving around 13psi and is fully open less than 20psi.

I dont remember reading that.. but thank you very much! Do you have one for sale, or perhaps a part number for it? Anyone have the actuator from a wh1c?

I am so close to being able to put this thing on! (hx35) My feed line came in yesterday and then the oil gauge adapter came in today. I bought the -4an feed line from extremepsi with the Holset adapter. I remember reading once that the feed on the Holset has an o-ring? I am just wandering if any one is using an o-ring and if there's a specific size?

I ended up using a plastic washer and thread tape that I got at the local ACE hardware because that same ExtrmePSI fitting was leaking when I used it by itself.

You can kind of see it here:

Anyone have an issue with your compressor housing leaking air at the snap ring? I did a boost leak test and it would go up to 25psi on the boost gauge, but drop quickly. It was gushing out of the compressor cover. Now my fuel trims are all wacked out.

That sucks! Maybe new replacement? Where would you get parts like that?

Have you verified that it isn't pinched first?

I just ordered 16" snap ring pliers so that I can pull the cover off. I'm going to put a thin layer of RTV on the contact portion to see if that seals it. I'm not sure how a snap ring could be pinched?

I mean when you slide the cover onto the backing plate (which is where the big o-ring sits). Could it have been pinched there?

I ended up using a plastic washer and thread tape that I got at the local ACE hardware because that same ExtrmePSI fitting was leaking when I used it by itself.

You can kind of see it here:

That center section gets hot.. will that plastic piece melt? I used thread locker white high temp.. NO leaks for me.

Yeah I guess they don't have one. Was a while ago when I did the install.

Check out my pic:

Check out my page for more install pics.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/hangout/345171-jjrock5-gsx-under-construction-11.html

FYI, I looked through your build thread (very nice by the way) and noticed you were using vacuum caps on the coolant return line. Those WILL break after a few hundred miles. I did the same thing when I first installed my Holset and one day it started pissing out coolant. Just wanted to give you a heads up now before you run into problems.

That center section gets hot.. will that plastic piece melt? I used thread locker white high temp.. NO leaks for me.

Speaking of thread locker and melting, I used it to begin with and THAT melted right though.

I switched to the hard plastic washer and it didnt leak at all. But then again, I only drove the car for 50 miles.

FYI, I looked through your build thread (very nice by the way) and noticed you were using vacuum caps on the coolant return line. Those WILL break after a few hundred miles. I did the same thing when I first installed my Holset and one day it started pissing out coolant. Just wanted to give you a heads up now before you run into problems.

LOL. I took it off as soon as I installed it. I switched to this: I think you can see it.

Speaking of thread locker and melting, I used it to begin with and THAT melted right though.

I switched to the hard plastic washer and it didnt leak at all. But then again, I only drove the car for 50 miles.

LOL. I took it off as soon as I installed it. I switched to this: I think you can see it.

That's what I did down at the oil cooler return. How did you keep your oil cooler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back