The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Holset Turbos, PART 4

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks good mike. I see you have the typical 6bolt swap rats nest on top of your transmission. You can just seperate the wiring harness and rerun most of it w/o having to cut anything and bolt your fuse block back on your inner fender. And of course it will look cleaner than the stock 2G with most all the wires out of the way and tucked. It's what I've done in the past. Looks super clean to. :)

I'm going to start checking some machine shops to see about getting my T4 TH milled out for the H1E. it's a .68 not a .86 housing. So it's larger than the old BEP I ran a few years ago. With the BC 280 cams I hope I don't see major topend drop off as I did with the BEP mitsu housing.

Biglady I'm not to sure if you did the math but your looking at 10,204 RPM's to reach 200mph with stock size tires and stock AWD final drive in 5th gear. Just a FYI in case you didn't know. If I remember correctly 10,500 RPM's can get you to 127 mph in 3rd gear. Also I did the frontal area math a few years ago for the 1G and it's something like 157 hp lost from air resistance at 150 mph. It fairly exponential as you go up in speed. I would guess it would be something like 275ish HP loss around 200 mph. So you're going to need over 450 HP to be able to see 200 mph. Oh yeah and a pretty decent spoiler to kept the car planted on the ground.

Biglady I'm not to sure if you did the math but your looking at 10,204 RPM's to reach 200mph with stock size tires and stock AWD final drive in 5th gear. Just a FYI in case you didn't know. If I remember correctly 10,500 RPM's can get you to 127 mph in 3rd gear. Also I did the frontal area math a few years ago for the 1G and it's something like 157 hp lost from air resistance at 150 mph. It fairly exponential as you go up in speed. I would guess it would be something like 275ish HP loss around 200 mph. So you're going to need over 450 HP to be able to see 200 mph. Oh yeah and a pretty decent spoiler to kept the car planted on the ground.

It sounds like its going on a colt rather than a 1g, since thats what he has listed in his profile and is referring to a 1.6l 4g61t.

Not sure how the gear ratios of a colt compare to a 1g. I'll bet the aerodynamics aren't as slick as a 1g though.

I want to pick up this 1g tsi awd with a cage and throw the hx40 in that and make some real power but I don't think I will be able to unload the built 420a. I'm thinking about taking the 420a back to non turbo and then selling it as a whole. I know i'm gonna run low boost like my setup want more but be beat because the car wasn't built for high boost.

Maglin. I don't think your math is right. Me and all of my friends come up with way lower numbers. We calculate that with the 1G FWD tranny and AWD 5th gear I will see 200mph at 7800rpm with a 205/60/14 tire. That is what is on my car now.

This was seen using information from Team NABR and VFAQ. It has been clocked doing 110mph at 7800 in third. And our math put us right near that.

Steven

Maglin. I don't think your math is right. Me and all of my friends come up with way lower numbers. We calculate that with the 1G FWD tranny and AWD 5th gear I will see 200mph at 7800rpm with a 205/60/14 tire. That is what is on my car now.

This was seen using information from Team NABR and VFAQ. It has been clocked doing 110mph at 7800 in third. And our math put us right near that.

Steven

I think its the fact yoru not talking about a awd platform or a E/T/L either that is throwing ppl.

Well, the stock 1g wheel is a 16 inch rim, 205/55r. My excel calculator that I use for this puts you at 7950rpms in 5th for the stock T/E/L wheels. And 8350rpms for the wheels you want to use.

If you use the EVO GVR4 5th gear you can run your wheel choice to 7725rpms to reach 200mph.

Yea. Looks like youre setup well for a 50-trim. A bolton hx35 would have given you more a little more flow per psi. And is more efficient at higher boost. But the main difference is that the spool would be much quicker :)

Humm. Well I'm going off the stock 7500 rev limiter and the stock top speed of 147 mph. I've never taken mine to anything over 130 and usually am not looking at the dash.

I didn't realize it was a colt. My bad. Big turbo colt. I'll have to check out the AWD in 5th at 120 to see actually what 200mph takes. I forget that the stock 1G only has 175hp at the crank. It doesn't have enough HP to ever see 150mph. I dont' even think it can do the 147mph that is it's top speed stock so they say.

Definitly want to see some pics of the turbo installed. I have a 13B-REW in my garage and the HX52 is just about half of it's size. I love to see big turbo's on small motors. And high boost to boot. You would definitly want something to kept a Colt on the ground at anything over 150 mph. Would have to read about someone dieing in a crash because they lost control at 150+.

Ahh! don't bring up the accident subject! . . .

Jeremiah, I think would be pretty neat to see the hx52 beside a 1.8 wankel :). It would be awesome to see a pic! I'd put that as my background on my laptop!

Do you guys think the t3 .70 ar hx40 would make for a better setup matched with a stroker or 2.0l engine. Car will be my third car and rarely see the street probably be a track only car?

Track only on a stroker I would probably run it. On a 2.0 I would look for something a bit larger. It all depends on you set-up of course and your redline. Like a 2.4 with a built head and short block with on a stutter box and launch control I would run something larger. Mostly stock with say a 8500 RPM rev limit I would definitly run that hot side. Another big impact is the intake manifold. If you are using the stocker and plan to stay with it go for more bottom end as everything above 6500 is hurt by the intake manifold.

Matt I'll take a pic of it here soon and upload it for you bud.

Got an HX-52 a few weeks ago. They are T4...right??? I thought I read somewhere recently that they were T6.

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 804
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 803
Wow a used HX52. That's the first one I've seen. It's a T6 which isn't to much larger than a T4 but of course it won't bolt up to a T4 manifold w/o some sort of adapter.

There is no play in it but, it does need a compressor wheel. The wheel is $103 and its $295 to rebuild it at turbo exchange in concord nc. They rebuilt my hy35 also. Just a quick fyi. I picked it up for $75 on ebay and most of the time they don't go for much more. What do you plan to do with the manifold issue Maglin. Knowticed you had one too.:D

T6
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You would probably throw up if you knew what I paid for it new. I'm going to probably have a top mount manifold built for it with a T6 flange.

If Tim's diagram is correct, then I DO NOT have a T6 footprint. Not sure what it would be called then. But that is good. That means the housing is even smaller and my spooling it with the 1.6L means my chances increase a little.

Steven

Your's is most definitly a T6. It's so very close in size to a T4 as far as the flange goes. I had to put a T4 flange over it to see that it's only a few mm bigger on the mounting points.

So I want to go external gate on my holset, no more trying to make a stock dsm wastegate work. I found this piece and wanted to know what you all thought of it:

eBay Motors: DSM Eclipse Talon External Turbo Dump T25 BIG 16g 20g (item 370076785887 end time Aug-16-08 08:22:46 PDT)

Now, I don't know if I need a 44mm wastegate if I'm going to be using my H1E in a BEP .55 a/r mitsu housing (or would I???). Is going off the o2 ok to do? I've hard that it's hard to control boost.

Another thing is that if I don't need that big of wastegate, I'd like to get one like dsm-onster has had good luck with (ebay knockoff 38mm if I'm not mistaken). Could I use this EXTREME PSI : Your #1 Source for In Stock Performance Parts - Tial 44mm Flange to Tial 38mm Flange Wastegate Adapter

and make a 38mm work if I didn't need a huge wastegate? It seems pretty reliable, I just want to make sure everything will fit before I bust out the debit card and order some stuff. Thanks guys.

^^^I got this piece for sale on the local board. I'll sell you this piece for 100 + shipping its what I had on my h1e. pm me if your interested

Off the o2 is the way to go for better boost control its too bad my new housing can't be run of the o2. I had no issues with the 38mm and if you look back you'll see that there are lots of guys running 38mm WG.

Attachments

• New phone pics 020.jpg
    New phone pics 020.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,038
I"m gonna test the whole divided manifold with housing on my new setup. I"m going with the 18.5cm and a punishment racing divided housing with dual 38mm externals. Should be good:thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back