The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Holset Turbos, PART 3

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maglin

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 30, 2004
Wichita, Kansas
I'm starting a new Holset Turbo threed as Part 2 is hugh and seems semi broken atm.

Wanted to update what is up. I just put a Titan ICS copper HG on and the thickness dropped my compression down form 150 across the board to 135 across the board. I'm currently running 26 PSI on the stock bottom/top end. I ran up against an 11.7 second 1G who is consistant and he had me by almost 2 cars. I feel pretty richous. I haven't tried to kept boost below 20 PSI but with some tweaking of my EBC I'm able to run 22 PSI no problem. Car pulls hard as hell and was breaking traction on launches so I picked up some new tires as my old Pilots where pretty much shot. With my stock top end I really don't see any gains above 26 PSI. We figure I can probably run 12.0-12.1 in the quarter as it is. With some dyno time and tuning I'm sure I could easily see high 11s. I'm still running the HX35 w/ bullseye housing until I get to building the motor. I'm topping out my timing at 13* and running a 11.2:1 AFR currently. It's conservitive so I can run pump gas for now.

And the Titan ICS HG is about as sweet as they come. Was running 30 PSI with no problem and even encountered some massive knock on one pull after some bad street tuning and it's still holding strong. Just wanted to update you all on the progress of the Holset with me. I plan on putting the car on a Dyno within the next few months to see what kind of power it can put down with stock cams. And to give me a baseline of what kind of difference a set of FP3x's will make for power output.

well part 3, this is a good thread! would anyone know the real spec's for the differences in A/R to CM calculations E.g 7cm = .52ar. that was just an example! i am after the 12cm to a/r and the 18cm to a/r.

Maglin said:
I'm starting a new Holset Turbo threed as Part 2 is hugh and seems semi broken atm.

Wanted to update what is up. I just put a Titan ICS copper HG on and the thickness dropped my compression down form 150 across the board to 135 across the board. I'm currently running 26 PSI on the stock bottom/top end. I ran up against an 11.7 second 1G who is consistant and he had me by almost 2 cars. I feel pretty richous. I haven't tried to kept boost below 20 PSI but with some tweaking of my EBC I'm able to run 22 PSI no problem. Car pulls hard as hell and was breaking traction on launches so I picked up some new tires as my old Pilots where pretty much shot. With my stock top end I really don't see any gains above 26 PSI. We figure I can probably run 12.0-12.1 in the quarter as it is. With some dyno time and tuning I'm sure I could easily see high 11s. I'm still running the HX35 w/ bullseye housing until I get to building the motor. I'm topping out my timing at 13* and running a 11.2:1 AFR currently. It's conservitive so I can run pump gas for now.

And the Titan ICS HG is about as sweet as they come. Was running 30 PSI with no problem and even encountered some massive knock on one pull after some bad street tuning and it's still holding strong. Just wanted to update you all on the progress of the Holset with me. I plan on putting the car on a Dyno within the next few months to see what kind of power it can put down with stock cams. And to give me a baseline of what kind of difference a set of FP3x's will make for power output.

How about waiting? It's not as large as the first. The intent was to let the second grow until it was as large, then start a third.

I'd suggest posting this in the second thread and continueing. Delete this thread. When it get's further along, I'll start a third and referance the first and second properly.

Not sure on the holset 2 to 3 posting but i hope this helps:
6 cm2 = 0.41 A/R
7 cm2 = 0.49 A/R
8 cm2 = 0.57 A/R
9 cm2 = 0.65 A/R
10 cm2 = 0.73 A/R
11 cm2 = 0.81 A/R
12 cm2 = 0.89 A/R

not sure on the holset 2 to 3 posting but i hope this may help:
6 cm2 = 0.41 A/R
7 cm2 = 0.49 A/R
8 cm2 = 0.57 A/R
9 cm2 = 0.65 A/R
10 cm2 = 0.73 A/R
11 cm2 = 0.81 A/R
12 cm2 = 0.89 A/R
16cm2 = 1.15A/R?

Good stuff. I forgot about that comparision. But, I posted a response to that in the other thread.

Although I agree w/ maglin. the other thread s huge. The first one is just rediculous and shouldn't be a gauge for how big a thread should be.

I plan on putting the car on a Dyno within the next few months to see what kind of power it can put down with stock cams. And to give me a baseline of what kind of difference a set of FP3x's will make for power output.

Are you planning to run fp3x on an otherwise stock long block? If so, I 'm very curious to see the findings. Hell, I couldn't even find any data for a built 2.0 although my searching skills may be lacking:) If somebody can reference me to a thread/forum (dsm-onster may be) just PM me please. Otherwise, just waiting patiently:sneaky:

Are you planning to run fp3x on an otherwise stock long block? If so, I 'm very curious to see the findings. Hell, I couldn't even find any data for a built 2.0 although my searching skills may be lacking:) If somebody can reference me to a thread/forum (dsm-onster may be) just PM me please. Otherwise, just waiting patiently:sneaky:

Well, he's running dual springs and lightweight retainers. so the longblock is not stock.

Regardless, he'll likely get nasty quick spool and peak out at about 8.5K. Considering the overlap dialed in and the fact that fp3Xs have the same duration as fp2s.

Yea, I'd certainly like to see a dyno tune of a 50-trim sized turbo w/ fp3Xs.

Why doesn't someone summarize all the confirmed Holset data from these 36+ pages of threads into a nice tech article for all to enjoy while continuing to utilize the forums to discuss? May be some Tuners swag in it for you ;) :dsm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back