The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

FP 68HTA vs Blouch TD05H 20g/16g XT

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjrock5

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 19, 2006
Around, Connecticut
I am browsing both of these turbos. The 68HTA seems to be the most popular (probably because it comes from the infamous Forced Performance). The Blouch 20g seems to have similar technology as the 68HTA and similar specs.

I just want to see if people have had luck with the Blouch 20g, and if it's comparable (or better) to the 68HTA.

Maybe throw some air flow numbers with your setup and if not, then just simply state your opinion as to which you think may be a better performing turbocharger.

FP 68HTA:

Forced Performance Turbochargers: FP 68HTA Turbocharger for DSM

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Blouch 20g:

DSM-TD05H-20G-XT

I actually like the bling factor of the 68HTA actuator.

Both of those turbos are grossly overpriced.

The xt20g has a larger billet wheel, and a clipped turbine. From what i've seen of the 68hta, the clipped turbine will probably help out a ton.

What else can you buy that flows 47-48 lb/min, under $1,000, and has a center section proven not to blow up when constantly pushed? And it bolts on to a 1g with no "extras".

Ask people on any other platform if they would pay $900 for a rock solid reliable, 47 lb/min, direct bolt on turbo. This thinking is one of the things that pushes vendors on to different platforms. The typical dsm'r wants to make their car 600whp with free mods, ebay parts, and a 200,000 mile diesel turbo they paid $50 for.

why limit yourself with a 20g in a td05h form. The td06h will give you a much better top end and potential for more power. The td05h is a pretty big bottle neck for the 20g. Clipping is not the most effective way of creating top end power too.

Ask people on any other platform if they would pay $900 for a rock solid reliable, 47 lb/min, direct bolt on turbo. This thinking is one of the things that pushes vendors on to different platforms. The typical dsm'r wants to make their car 600whp with free mods, ebay parts, and a 200,000 mile diesel turbo they paid $50 for.

This is so true.

Have you looked into the Buschur Racing TDO5/6 Hybrid 20g? That is the turbo I am going to be going with.

im digging that 20g. I have been searching for a turbo like that and researching different 20g's for a few weeks. That one is a little more but it seems it flows a little better and gives a better max hp then a td06h. Its turbo buying time in a month and i think this might be the one!

eBay 7cm turbine housings are under $100; you can surely modify the existing actuator to work with the eBay turbine housing. That means a brand new DSM bolt-on 20G for under $650....hell of a deal.

cant you just upgrade a big/evo3 16g compressor wheel with a 20g wheel and machine the housing, and be as good as that brand new fp tdo5h 20g? im starting to think why that hasnt been done more often:confused: or will the 16g comp. housing limit the wheel? thanks im really looking to do this with a spare big 16g turbo i have laying around.

If you bought a new Evo III 16G for $550 and a new 20G compressor for $120ish, then paid someone to rebalance the rotating assembly and machine the compressor cover you'd be wayyyy over the $650 I quoted above....not to mention the 20G from FP has the larger TD06-style downfiring compressor cover that does not require the use of a J-pipe, so you'll save even more.

The only way you'd come out ahead is if you had a Big 16G laying around with a smashed compressor wheel which isn't worth shit...you could turn it into a 20G for around $300.

If you bought a new Evo III 16G for $550 and a new 20G compressor for $120ish, then paid someone to rebalance the rotating assembly and machine the compressor cover you'd be wayyyy over the $650 I quoted above....not to mention the 20G from FP has the larger TD06-style downfiring compressor cover that does not require the use of a J-pipe, so you'll save even more.

The only way you'd come out ahead is if you had a Big 16G laying around with a smashed compressor wheel which isn't worth shit...you could turn it into a 20G for around $300.

ohh ok so the tdo6 compressor cover on it does help. i do have an evo3 16g sitting here. but its not trashed, and i was just wondering if it will be a worth while thing to upgrade it to a 20g wheel.. and as far as the wastegate actuator will the one that comes with that new fp 20g work with the 7cm dsm hotside? im guessing not, but how hard would it be to get it to work? thanks jus

i do have an evo3 16g sitting here. but its not trashed, and i was just wondering if it will be a worth while thing to upgrade it to a 20g wheel..
Sell the Evo III 16G, buy a new 20G. Much cheaper and easier in the long run.
and as far as the wastegate actuator will the one that comes with that new fp 20g work with the 7cm dsm hotside? im guessing not, but how hard would it be to get it to work? thanks jus
Neither one will be direct-fit; however I believe the one which comes on the 20G will be easier to modify for DSM fitment. It may even have a stronger spring in the 20G actuator, although I'm not sure.

damn i do have a spare 7cm housing kicking around in the garage and my 14b is pretty blown on my 1g

Um, boys and girls, I think I found a screaming deal. Have a looksy at this:Forced Performance Turbochargers: Mitsubishi 20g Turbocharger

Looks like an unclipped 20g for $539, you swap in your own 7cm turbine housing and figure out the wastegate actuator mounting solution, and your golden. Damn:hellyeah:

Can anybody give any estimated air flow characteristics of this turbo if a 7cm housing was bolted up? I mean given the fact that it's not clipped and the compressor wheel is not billet.

It may be comparable to the Blouch 20g.

The xt20g has a larger billet wheel, and a clipped turbine. From what i've seen of the 68hta, the clipped turbine will probably help out a ton.

What else can you buy that flows 47-48 lb/min, under $1,000, and has a center section proven not to blow up when constantly pushed? And it bolts on to a 1g with no "extras".

But unlike other platforms, we can and DO make that kind of power with said mods. I could give 2 sh*ts about vendors leaving. The ones that are valuable have stayed and the others have been weeded out. We still have THE fastest sub V8 car community in the world and in all truthfulness we are right up there with any Fox body or LSx as well...

I too tire of some of the "broke dsmer syndrome" that is prevalent but at the same time it comes with the package..

But unlike other platforms, we can and DO make that kind of power with said mods. I could give 2 sh*ts about vendors leaving. The ones that are valuable have stayed and the others have been weeded out. We still have THE fastest sub V8 car community in the world and in all truthfulness we are right up there with any Fox body or LSx as well...

I too tire of some of the "broke dsmer syndrome" that is prevalent but at the same time it comes with the package..

And thats the troof. :dsm::talon::laser::cool:

Can anybody give any estimated air flow characteristics of this turbo if a 7cm housing was bolted up? I mean given the fact that it's not clipped and the compressor wheel is not billet.

It may be comparable to the Blouch 20g.

Billet means nothing in terms of flow, possibly an improvement in terms of strength. Its done because not everybody can cast a compressor wheel, but with a 5th axis CNC mill you can burn out any type of compressor wheel your heart chooses since aluminum is such a breeze to cut.

I don't see the 7cm^2 housing posing any real issues pushing that turbo, it will be the turbine wheel that is the problem. 20g choke flowed is about 50 lb/min, easily outflowing the 68HTA. It also uses a more efficient compressor housing. I'd personally order up a 10* clip, or possibly a 15* clip. I think conservatively out the door it could be done for under $800 with a brand spanking new turbo.

Why not get a E316g and install the 20g wheel w/ machined 16g comp housing from ebay. Then you'd have a direct bolt on bastard 20g with the larger evo rear housing? The parts come pre-balanced as well.

Then you could have the exh. wheel clipped if necessary.

Turbo Compressor Housing TD05H + Wheel 20G DSM 1G EVO 3: eBay Motors (item 380282555607 end time Nov-24-10 08:45:27 PST)

:hmm: Interesting

Would there be any balancing issues since this new compressor wheel was not balance with the shaft/turbine wheel assembly??

Because I thought that was the reason to scribe the compressor wheel to the shaft position when taking any turbo apart.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back