The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

20G Discussion: TD05H vs. TD06

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was following your posts about that S256 you were running.
I'm very curious about that turbo.
Did it hold boost to your liking, or was the .55 A/R housing choking up top?

Will this one in that you mentioned fit the TD05H center section?
What about the wastegate actuator.
Can I use my 18g wg actuator?

It held boost great with a Tial 38mm on the o2 housing. I was running 32psi on VP103 unleaded and it was pulling really well when the car was totalled. Based on how it felt I'd say it had low 11s and mid 120 traps in it easily, full weight with a stock 1G intake manifold. I'm in the process of building another car, using an S258 in their new T3 .70 undivided housing, we'll see how it does.

Bullseye makes the housing for 05H and 06H wheels, just have to tell them which wheel you have when you order it.

If you order it with an internal flapper, the arm is adjustable so you can make it work with your actuator, just position the arm so that you have a little preload on the rod.

Although considered a proven 20g/td05h, what drives up the price up ?
Doesn't HRC run specials on their 05(no clip)/10cm and 06/8cm for ~$699? I realise theirs is T3 flanged.
I'm thinking a "cheap" 20g wouldn't last long if you simply upgraded a 14B cold side and clipped the 05 ?

The bearing housing is as reliable as a tdo6h bearing housing. In fact there is no difference.

It is not "cheap" or relatively cheaper to upgrade a 14b to a 20g. The turbine housing has to be upgraded to a 7 cm^2 housing. Remember the 14b has the 6cm^2 housing. FP sells the 7cm^2 housing for $295 a piece. Stupid expensive! 100 more than everyone else. I guess the MHI distributor doesn't give FP the same wholesale price as everyone else :rolleyes: . And, everyone else is twice as much as ebay or dsmtuners classifieds (if you don't mind a gently used unit). The 14b cover has to be machined to a 20g wheel (which is probalby not the brightest thing to do considering the potential loss in flow). OR, you ahve to acquire a tdo6h compressor cover. The 20g wheel sits like a 16g wheel against the compressor backplate. The 14b has a 'flat' compressor back side. But, the 20g resembles a 16g w/ a hump on the back. This has to be accounted for:

Attachments

• 14b vs. 16g.JPG
    14b vs. 16g.JPG
    5.7 KB · Views: 1,216
sorry to change it up,i got a question,how long of life do 20gs have?

Yes the BEP housing machined for the 05h wheel and a mitsu o2 flange is a bolt on deal. As long as you specify that you have a MHI center section.

Is this the same BEP housing for the 14b/16g?

Back when i didnt know what a/r meant and what kind of difference id get from different housings, i purchased this bullseye housing for my s16g solely for the 38mm internal gate to battle my boost creap. Now that i understand a/r and different turbine housing designs, what kind of upgrades should i have seen from this housing? How does the a/r compare to the stock 7cm2 housing?(smaller/larger? shape of volute?) Should i have potential for more topend or more low end with this housing?

The reason i ask, is ive always noticed my 16g has way more top end than other similar cars with similar mods, running the same, if not less boost.

ONce the 38mm internal gate broke, and i upgraded to a 38mm external off the o2, i kind of forgot that i had the bullseye housing in there. Now im curious as to what i can do with it and what kind of benefits it has over stock.
Can i buy a tdo5h 20g cold side/center section and just slap it in my current setup/turbine housing? If so, that might be a cheaper route to upgrading to a 50trim or s200, while still being able to hit similar power goals.

Any more info on the BEP housing machined for the 14b/16g/20g o5h wheel is very much appreciated. :thumb:

Is this the same BEP housing for the 14b/16g?

Back when i didnt know what a/r meant and what kind of difference id get from different housings, i purchased this bullseye housing for my s16g solely for the 38mm internal gate to battle my boost creap. Now that i understand a/r and different turbine housing designs, what kind of upgrades should i have seen from this housing? How does the a/r compare to the stock 7cm2 housing?(smaller/larger? shape of volute?) Should i have potential for more topend or more low end with this housing?

The reason i ask, is ive always noticed my 16g has way more top end than other similar cars with similar mods, running the same, if not less boost.

ONce the 38mm internal gate broke, and i upgraded to a 38mm external off the o2, i kind of forgot that i had the bullseye housing in there. Now im curious as to what i can do with it and what kind of benefits it has over stock.
Can i buy a tdo5h 20g cold side/center section and just slap it in my current setup/turbine housing? If so, that might be a cheaper route to upgrading to a 50trim or s200, while still being able to hit similar power goals.

Any more info on the BEP housing machined for the 14b/16g/20g o5h wheel is very much appreciated. :thumb:

Yes you can! I think it would be a good combination. You may get veryclose to maxing out the 20G compressor wheel. Which is DEEP into 50-trim territory. A 20g chokes at 680 cfm (aroud 49 lbs/min). This is where a 50-trim is maxed out at as well.

I noticed more lag but greater topend when I swapped my tdo5h 18g CHRA into a BEP housing from a 7 cm^2 housing. I think the evo3 16g could benefit from the BEP housing too. A clip has been proven to help that turbo put more to the wheels w/ a stock displacement engine. So the BEP housing is not enough, you can always clip the turbine wheel for $75.

The BEP housing is clearly bigger. Flows more like an 8 cm^2 housing. The nozzle is larger: the hole where the exhaust gases exit the volute and strike the turbine blades. The transition from the exhaust manifold to the volute is as good or better than a good portjob on a 7 cm^2 turbine housing. The volute is a more efficient design: the nozzle is on center w/ the volute area. It MAY prove to work as well as a clipped td05h 20g in a 7 cm^2 housing. And since you're not clipping, the turbine can remain as efficient as it ever was.

I say give it a shot. Experiment. Give us some results. It likely will do for you what it did for me: help extract the potential out of a bigger MHI wheel w/ a small turbine. You'll not have any issues keeping the flapper closed because you're runnign an external gate :thumb: .

alright then, my next question would be... where can i get a tdo5h 20g center section/cold side? Or would i just have to buy the entire turbo and swap hot sides?

I wonder how a "sleeper 16g" would work in this hot side... hmmm

I have to finish maxing out this small 16g at the track, then i'll see what my turbo upgrade path will be. So far i went 13.7 @10psi and 12.9 at 15psi, so i want to see what 18, 20, and 22ish psi will net me with the small 16g.

I noticed more lag but greater topend when I swapped my tdo5h 18g CHRA into a BEP housing from a 7 cm^2 housing. I think the evo3 16g could benefit from the BEP housing too. A clip has been proven to help that turbo put more to the wheels w/ a stock displacement engine. So the BEP housing is not enough, you can always clip the turbine wheel for $75.

The BEP housing is clearly bigger. Flows more like an 8 cm^2 housing. The nozzle is larger: the hole where the exhaust gases exit the volute and strike the turbine blades. The transition from the exhaust manifold to the volute is as good or better than a good portjob on a 7 cm^2 turbine housing. The volute is a more efficient design: the nozzle is on center w/ the volute area. It MAY prove to work as well as a clipped td05h 20g in a 7 cm^2 housing. And since you're not clipping, the turbine can remain as efficient as it ever was.

Thanks a million. As the thread starter, this is EXACTLY the info I was looking for! You totally answered my questions.

Hello all, I know this thread is a long time ago. I have a 90 GSX with BR20G turbo on it that I bought from BR in 1998. I didn't know too much about turbo at that time, so i bought it b/c everyone said it is good. (Yes stupid).

The receipt did not specify details, it only stated clipped and ported 20G.

Does anyone has information about that turbo at that time to see if it is a TD05H-20G or it is a TD06H-20G?

If it is TD05H, does anyone know a TD06 turbine housing will fit in? The 20G I have now is ext WG, no one sells TD05H housing anymore. The only one is FP with TD06 turbine housing with internal WG. Yes I want to change to internal WG. Yes, I know about boost spike but I am not racing , auto-cross or track at all at 57 years old. I can turn the boost down and re-tune. I just want to pass smog every 2 years in CA without changing back to 14b, getting old.

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks for the info.

It won't work well in terms of lag, boost spike or slow boost? I am 57, so I am not going to track, autox or drag racing at all. I just want a turbo that has a int WG, so I don't have to swap turbo and ext mani every 2 years for CA smog check (very strict). In a long run, I am probably not going to be able to do it, back hurts, elbow hurts, everything hurts.

300 whp with a good tune is all I am asking for. Don't care about 12 sec 1/4 miles or not. Will that work with a TD06 housing?

Where can I get a TD05H housing with internal WG?

Thanks for the info.

It won't work well in terms of lag, boost spike or slow boost? I am 57, so I am not going to track, autox or drag racing at all. I just want a turbo that has a int WG, so I don't have to swap turbo and ext mani every 2 years for CA smog check (very strict). In a long run, I am probably not going to be able to do it, back hurts, elbow hurts, everything hurts.

300 whp with a good tune is all I am asking for. Don't care about 12 sec 1/4 miles or not. Will that work with a TD06 housing?

Where can I get a TD05H housing with internal WG?
Sell your 20G and buy a MHI Evo III 16G instead. For such a modest power goal you're giving up about 500rpms of spool and a noticeable amount of torque that you'll never get back in top end pull with a 20G intended for high boost racing. Not only that but the 16G is 100% stock-appearing for a 1G so you should never need to swap turbos to pass smog. Easy 300whp performance from an Evo III 16G with a tune and boost around 20psi.

Evo III 16G on a 2G exhaust manifold with the collector ported to 60mm to match the inlet of the 16G turbine housing is what you're looking for. On the outlet side you'll either need a ported 1G or Evo III o2 housing depending how your downpipe is flanged (the bolt spacing is different)...of course the 1G o2 housing will need some port work done to prevent being a bottleneck.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back