The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

TalonDave raises the bar in 2013 - 9.20 @ 154.32; 60mm HX40

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JusMX141

Dec 13, 2005
Greensburg, Pennsylvania
Race track opened today- Dave's first trip to the track was a good one. Beautiful day- partly cloudy, about 60* air temps...exactly the type of weather boosted DSM's love. :D

The first time down the track was the first time the car had been driven since the new chassis was built including the roll cage. Just a short trip to see if the car even went in a straight line and the brakes worked- this was literally the first time the car has seen pavement since completion.

Second pass was a low-boost run to check the tune and see what was going on....went 10.69 on just 18psi, logging 47 lb/min. Everything looked good so the boost went back up in preparation for the final run.

Third and final full run the car would make today was when the magic happened- 9.20 @ 154.32; a half-second faster than his previous best pass on just his third time behind the wheel of the new car. We weren't even expecting to get a full boosted run in let alone ending up just two tenths away from an 8-second pass on the car's first trip to the track!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

^ The 1/8th E.T. and MPH blew my f*cking mind. Almost a 5! OMG

Keep in mind this was done with the same tired Eagle/Wiseco engine from the old car as well as the old $400 60mm 6-blade junkyard special HX40 with a chipped compressor blade back on the car- no BatMoWheel, no smoke and mirrors....just the same great turbo that many of you already own.

Video will be posted as soon as it's uploaded. :D

Awesome work, Dave- your dedication to building this completely new chassis over the past year in order to go faster and be safer is quite admirable. :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW just wow!! Congrats Dave!! Is there still left on the table? Its funny how some vendors hate Holsets(because they are diesels turbo's) but Dave's car is a testament to giving them the middle finger haha.

What's funny is Dave hasn't even been in a turbo car for a year and a half....he said when it crossed the traps it felt like it was going 170mph and he figured it wasn't going to stop so he pulled the chute. I've never seen him so freaked-out after a run! ROFL

Awesome runs now that no batmowheel right just cast 6 blade

Very nice! Great job to both Dave and Justin. :thumb:

There's no doubt about 8's in the near future, the question now is just how far...

What was the final boost pressure on the last run?
Didn't get an exact number but I believe 36-37psi was mentioned when reviewing the log as there's zero chance of Dave looking at a boost gauge when trying to keep the car in a straight line and safe...so lots of growing room. :D

You willing to discuss why the cast wheel was chosen over the billet batmowheel?

Because after the first 9 was run in 2011 with the BatMoWheel nobody would shut the f*ck up about how the only reason the car went that fast was because of a magic compressor wheel. Don't get me wrong, the BatMoWheel is a nice piece for sure...but so is the old 60mm cast 6-blade, and that's exactly what we were out to prove. Versatility FTW....give Dave a good turbo and he'll go fast with it for sure. :D

Because after the first 9 was run in 2011 with the BatMoWheel nobody would shut the f*ck up about how the only reason the car went that fast was because of some magic compressor wheel. Don't get me wrong, the BatMoWheel is a nice piece for sure...but so is the old 60mm cast 6-blade, and that's exactly what we were out to prove. Versatility FTW....give Dave a good turbo and he'll go fast with it for sure. :D

Not to mention the BatMoWheel had less lb/min vs the cast hx40 comp wheel in back to back runs (only by a lb or two but still) doesnt mean the batmowheel didnt spool faster or may have even had higher peak numbers ... But where we were and what we saw with that particular setup was the batmowheel wasnt helping...

Shit................ Wheres ricky to tune my car on the hx40 .70 t3...... I need some 9s. Makes
Me wanna turn my boost up 8more psi and blow the rear diff! :) I'd like to be the fastest hx40 2g if possible haha

How many lb per min was logged? Pm me?

Thats insanely fast! congrats to him :applause:.

Does he have a build thread!? id love to see all that have been done to that car.

Closest thing to a build thread here: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/drag-strip/426336-racing-plans-year-2012-a.html

Quick summary- couldn't race the car in 2012 until he got a cage. Cage was going to be expensive, so Dave found a bare shell with a cage already installed for 1/3 the price of getting a cage put into his old car. All last year was spent swapping parts, cutting, replacing, repainting, dropping weight, and just making the new car faster and safer with the exact same setup.

Where others would've given up, parted out, and moved on...Dave built a completely new car. :applause:

Thanks everyone for coming and helping me with last min stuff to get the car to the track today! Working on the video as we speak

Congrats man, what hotside is on that turbo? T3 or T4? sorry I'm not on the up and up.

Can't wait to see what you do this year.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/z-dyzVjESmc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah Facebook shut the other one down, so I loaded it up on youtube.. should be good now I just watched it on here!

Congrats Dave. Keep up the move to an 8 sec pass.

Congrats Dave. Keep up the move to an 8 sec pass.

Thanks! Last run after this one, I was gonna try for a 1.4 60ft, and netted a broken tcase! So now just gonna wait for my 300m tcase to show up in the mail. should be here next week.

here's a sweet picture of the tires wrinkling!
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back