The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

So what are you working on that’s NOT your DSM?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I’ll ask I’m sure not everyone here knows. How does the electrolysis work exactly Marty?
That's a great question, and I didn't know the answer either. I thought this guy gave a good high level explanation of general electrolysis:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

There's also a more specific explanation about electrolysis in water and in HCl that goes into more detail about the chemistry taking place in ionic solutions:

Finally, here's a deep dive into the specific chemistry of electrolysis for rust removal:

I couldn't find something explicitly running through the chemistry of rust removal using vinegar, but it looks like with Vinegar the cations would still be positively charged hydrogen molecules. Since rust is a layer of Fe_3O_4 molecules, the hydrogen cations are still the key ingredient and react with them to form a ferrous oxide (FeO) whether you're using Vinegar, HCl, or whatever the hell you want. As long as you free up positively charged hydrogen I think the process is about the same from there. Science is fun :) . I have lots of rusty parts around, so I think I'm going to try this sometime.

In honor of Akira Toriyama passing a few days ago, I finally got around to moving my collection of DBZ from my old laptop to my new one. Seasons 1-9, remastered with either English dub or Japanese dub(no subtitles). Gonna watch the hell out of it tonight to pass the time, in between dishing out some Liber Tea and Justice in Helldivers 2. Lol.

It counts as "working on" because this old computer is damn near mechanical in its operation. Lol. Poor thing needs its HDD migrated to an SSD and it would help immensely but it's such a low priority thing.

I have no real way of uploading the collection I have, or I'd be totally willing to hook anyone up. I guess if you have a flashdrive you wanna send me, I'll load them up that way. Either way, hit me up if you have an idea and want it. It's about 14.9 GB all total.

Last edited:
You know what, I used to watch that as well when I was younger but I think it was just the regular Dragon Ball.. perhaps I should revisit it.. inbetween passing tiny kidney stones :O

That's some of the most painful shit in existence for men. As much as they are able to measure "pain" or the bodies reaction to it, they say that a smallish to moderate kidney stone for men is more painful than un-medicated childbirth for women.

I do not envy you. Hope it stops soon.

That's some of the most painful shit in existence for men. As much as they are able to measure "pain" or the bodies reaction to it, they say that a smallish to moderate kidney stone for men is more painful than un-medicated childbirth for women.

I do not envy you. Hope it stops soon.
Thankfully, they're not big enough to feel, but they are sharp enough to knick me on the way out and cause (minor) bleeding -- like, two to three drops. At least, that's the current diagnosis after a scope (fun!) and MRI. I'm a small time calcium oxalate factory :(

Last edited:
Putting together next yrs 700cc improver race sled ..ported the cylinders and base and matched ported

I’ll ask I’m sure not everyone here knows. How does the electrolysis work exactly Marty?
Sorry, I haven't been on in a couple of days. The process he used was with baking soda and sacrificial metal (which he had to replace 3 times). Here is the basic's of how he did the tank. He used my winch battery and a battery charger hooked to the battery on "low, 2 amp" then clamped jumper cables to the battery negative which went to the tank body and the battery positive went to the cathode of sacrificial metal that had to hang in the baking soda water without touching the tank, and shorting out.
Here is the basic process, we just went bigger and were very happy. Vinagar is just a 4-5% acid solution so it was "safe" to start with then we got more aggressive. :thumb:
Glad you asked, it was an experiment for us since there are no replacement tanks available.
How to Remove Rust Using Electrolysis (2024) | Today's Homeowner (todayshomeowner.com)
Marty and Trevor

Sorry, I haven't been on in a couple of days. The process he used was with baking soda and sacrificial metal (which he had to replace 3 times). Here is the basic's of how he did the tank. He used my winch battery and a battery charger hooked to the battery on "low, 2 amp" then clamped jumper cables to the battery negative which went to the tank body and the battery positive went to the cathode of sacrificial metal that had to hang in the baking soda water without touching the tank, and shorting out.
Here is the basic process, we just went bigger and were very happy. Vinagar is just a 4-5% acid solution so it was "safe" to start with then we got more aggressive. :thumb:
Glad you asked, it was an experiment for us since there are no replacement tanks available.
How to Remove Rust Using Electrolysis (2024) | Today's Homeowner (todayshomeowner.com)
Marty and Trevor
Cool!...gonna be trying that soon ..thanks !

It really worked much better than I expected Pat, and the pictures show the progression as we went along. He just checked the tank everyday. If it were something small, you could use a plastic container and put your objects into the soda/water solution, ground them and then put a cathode into the water.
The vinegar did a decent job of removing rust from some old DSM valves (I was just playing around to see). It didn't take the PITTING out of them, but it did a good job on the rust.

Swapped the led bumper lights in the Lancer. Was going to pull my license plate cover to polish it up but broke not one, but two T27 security bits off. That will wait for another day when I have new hardware and a little more time.

Swapped a clutch and flywheel on my daily (2013 Scion FRS). Man, that thing took significantly longer than I figured it would. Maybe it's my first time working on a Subaru neck-deep but it was rough. Very annoying considering that the clutch wasn't slipping, it was the throwout bearing that failed early ~85k

Got all my parts in for the 350z diff upgrade to 4.08

You're really making me want to bake my spare set of tails to port over my 1g LED conversions..

Working on my hot wheels /scale collection. Went to World of Wheels today and picked up a few additions

Oh, also, Auto World is casting a new 1990 Eclipse GSX - AW64432.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back