The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Holset Turbos, PART 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My DSMchip is set for high boost on pump. Lowers the timing to acceptable levels for the 93 octane. I tried a chip with agressive timing and it ran no faster even with race. I will probably have to go with DSMlink in the spring. Wideband does not log however I use a scanmaster for checking what is happening with the motor as I am driving. 02 v's, knock, timing advance, etc. I got the timing at the correct base figure and regapped the plugs to .027" and lowered the fuel pressure to 40psi at idle, hose off. The car is running fine but could not get a time as the road conditions are wet. Yeah I know I need tuning. Something I will have to learn as I am very computer iliterate, heck I'm using webTV! The car goes into winter storage next week. Hoping to get some pulls before then. Mark

98talonAWD said:
i didnt even use the damn thing, and sold it right away. i still haven't seen anyone other than what the sellers claim( 3 cars around 500-550whp ) make anything close to that.... why are you guys still running these turbos... and why are the new people that are looking for a turbo still interested.

I am not a hater, but have installed Holsets on other's cars, for 2.3's and Fox bodies and noticed this same thing.

On a budjet perspective, it cant be beat. You can get Holsets in great condition for under 250$, BUT as a new turbo purchase, I still see NO run running big numbers, especially for the claimed flow #'s of these units.

Remember, a few clicks of the mouse (value changes) and I can make ANY car dyno over 500whp, but trap speeds at the track NEVER lie, it is the determining factor of a car's true power output.

I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as 90% of the guys driving DSM's and kinda got my Holset by accident. My few month old 60-1 took a dive, so while it was being replaced I bought a used holset and after receiving the 60-1 which was a new replacement I deceided to stay with the Holset.
Your Colt weighs 1000lbs. less than the typical DSM which relates to a 100HP advantage. I am looking for mid 11's which seem quite possible since I have a 12.03 with my lame tuning on a full weight car, spare, jack and all.
I'm not saying the Holset is the greatest thing since sliced bread but it offers the user something different with potential not yet tapped.
I've had the 14b, EVO 16G, 50 trim, 60-1 and the Holset and liked them all! I'm not a regular track guy either so for me it's just for the enjoyment I receive and the hobby itself. Mark

It would not matter if I was 1000lbs heavier, that would factor into the power to weight arguement, but I was just pointing out facts. ET is dependend on tracion, suspension set up, and dump luck. Trap speed is DIRECTLY related to the power output of your vehical. These turbos have been used for a few years now,and I was just stating I am yet to see any radical times/traps out of the cars using them.

A simple matter, Dynos (can) lie, Your timeslip cant. If you trapped 112mph@30psi as I have read in this thread, unless you were towing a boat, I would look to put your 60-1 back on. 112 on a full weight AWD is in the area of 330-150whp, sause for 30lbs. Even sause for 20psi for that those turbo's claim to flow.

coltboostin said:
It would not matter if I was 1000lbs heavier, that would factor into the power to weight arguement, but I was just pointing out facts. ET is dependend on tracion, suspension set up, and dump luck. Trap speed is DIRECTLY related to the power output of your vehical.

Scroll up, we're TRAPPING 127 on a full weight AWD with a trans that won't shift at the moment, I think that speaks for itself considering it's the 3rd time out with the car and it's only at 28psi with very little tuning on the AEM.

Incidentally, trap speed is related to power/weight ratio, not just power, hence why a 400lb motorcycle with 120hp can trap 130+.

Colt I have hit 117 for my best trap sop far and I am tuning with a MAFT. I never really had a HP or ET goal but like I said an 11.5 would be nice.
I believe Steve is knocking on the door of 11's with the 14B. Obviously he is a much better driver than I and has done a better job preparing his car for which I give him credit.
Perhaps the vendors have hyped the Holset. Personally I like it's uniqueness and am not dissapoibnted with it's performance nor potential.
Like Steve said the car he is assisting the tune on is near 130MPH and it's mods are few if you look at page 4.
Anyways my whole point is not to knock a product until it has truly been proven one way or another. Perhaps these have been around for a few years but for the most part the DSM crowd are followers, using what the guy before has used. I prefered my Conquest to my DSM. Slower but much classier IMHO. DSM's are the Small Block Chevy of this generation. I ran Buick GS cars in my day of big blocks. Well now I'm really off track. I just wonder why some guys are knocking this turbo when they have no vested interest in one? Mark
PS: Your car must be a wild ride, congrats!

If your tunnnig with only a MAF-T I feel for you! I just wanted to clear the air so all these kids that read this dont take out loans to by turbos not yet truly proven to be suitable for there particular set up.

One thing I do like about the Holsets' is the thrust set up. The whole bearign assembly is MUCH beefier then the Garrett 360deg stuff.

Oh and thank you. :)

coltboostin said:
Steve-

So you have a IM, Cams, HX40, and Supporting mods to go 127mph? That is good I am just clarifying.

Not my car, a friends. He's got a bone stock 6 bolt with ARPs, HX40, FP2s, JM SMIM, 2-216 FMIC, EVO mani/o2, Tial 40mm and BOV, FIC 950s, Supra pump, SX FPR, CM Stage 4, ACT flywheel, and full 3". That's about it. It's full weight minus AC (baby seat in the back), stock susp, all season Kuhmos. The AEM is on a basic, conservative tune right now and the boost is at 28psi. We've been keeping it under 30psi because he's got a 3 bar MAP sensor right now. This turbo needs like 35psi to even begin to make power. Once we get his tranny issues sorted, we'll crank up the boost and see how the stock bottom end holds up. :D

so he ran 121mph with stock cams and intake on 25psi
and 125mph with stock cams and intake on 28psi
and 127-128mph with fp2's and jm fab intake but should be around 129-130mph with a tranny on 28psi
what I'm getting at is the gains he got from cams and intake on 28psi to 28psi about a 50-60hp gain?

If that's how you want to extrapolate it, sure. Bear in mind that we didn't make any changes to the tuning with the cams and intake, the plan was to get a few passes and then start re-tuning, but the trans problems prevented this from happening. Also, the car literally would not go into gear. There was alot of time lost between shifts, and it's hard to compare trap speeds on passes that were not accelerating during the entire 1320'. Hopefully, we can get the shifting issue fixed ASAP and get it back out to make some clean runs before turning up the boost to where it belongs.

Heu guys I was wondering if my plug gap could be the issue I am having with an occasional "buck", A fuel cut like condition but milder, and breaking up around 7800rpm's. I have hears 2 guys recommend a gap of .022" for high boost conditions with stock coils/ignition. Any thoughts on this? I am a bit hesitant to just try because even with the boost at 22/23 psi I am getting the break-up which I feel could be fuel volume lacking nthough I may go ahead and try a set at that gap. Again, any thoughts? Thanks, Mark

Yes, .027-.028". I have tried .026y but 2 guys have said .022" which seems really tight. I have an extra set of plugs so I guess I could try .022" and see what it does. Still am upgrading the fuel line/filter. Thanks, Mark

Stapl3 said:
Where's your gap now? .028? Give .026 or .025 a try. Lots of hardcore guys run their gaps closer than many would believe.

Ooo, Im hard core. :)

My gap is "can you get a peice of paper through it? Cool your good to go. :thumb:

Well the .022" did the trick! No more breaking up and revved to 8500 and got below 12 for the first time with an 11.80. Thanks. Didn't buck either. I also changed the Translator to fine tune which reads RPM's rather than airflow and that may have helped also. Mark

Congrats Mark on getting it dialed in. Next year you should get that thing down in the low 11's with the things we spoke about earlier in the month. Good luck over the winter :thumb:

Glad you got it worked out, Sweet.

You're running a MAFT and 950's with a hx 35/40 combo? Share a simple mod list and most importantly the spoolup characteristics. I still can't decide if I like or hate Holsets. I was hating them until you posted this backing up steves results.

I am selling a Bullseye housing Holset Hx35/40 I'll take B/o. The reason I'm selling it is because I'm in Iraq and I'm going to buy another Turbo. I also have a Dejon Tool Intake Manifold for 350

Justin

Thanks to some fellow Honda tuners....

HX-40 maps

Attachments

• Hx40-B8554Ma.jpg
    Hx40-B8554Ma.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,394
  • Hx40-B8554Mb.jpg
    Hx40-B8554Mb.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 1,388
  • Hx40-B8574Ma.jpg
    Hx40-B8574Ma.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,378
  • Hx40-B8574Mb.jpg
    Hx40-B8574Mb.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 1,350
  • Hx40-B8584Ma.jpg
    Hx40-B8584Ma.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 1,471
  • Hx40-B8584Mb.jpg
    Hx40-B8584Mb.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 1,352
Since I cannot read these maps can someone decipher it for me in terms that will describe where it likes to make the most power. Mark

Looks to me like these are very happy anywhere from 15-30psi and they are WAY efficient!!

Was it Josh @ GRE that was running 30 psi on pump gas? By the looks of these maps that does not look like it would be a problem as long as you have a good intercooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back