The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

cutting out the black bar on 97+ eclipse bumper? [Merged 3-11]

Which way to cut it?

• Straight up? 1st pic

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Angled inward? 2nd pic

Votes: 11 84.6%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much more does the second crash bumper weigh? Mine is like the first.

I decided to go with the stock 2g front bumper. I have a 98 GSX. If you've cut that ribbed part on the upper part of the middle opening lets see your pictures! I remember seeing a really nice blue one that had it cut really high that I loved and I can't find the picture so any help would be great!

When I cut the bumper should I just cut the ribbed part out or should I go higher?

Would these holes reduce the integredity of the front bumper? I wanna cut holes out because that is where I wanna place an oil cooler unit later but I dont want to have a very flimsy front end.

Hey everyone, I hope this is in the right section. I've been working on installing my SSAC FMIC and finally got it bolted up (hope everytning lines up good) and I'm trying to put the bumper back on. I took out the bumper the proper way by undoing the 4 bolts under the car, so I have the whole assembly out. I know I need to cut my bumper to fit and was looking around for some pictures or other peoples advice on the procedure. All the pictures I've seen are for 2G Eclipses while I have a 2GB Talon. If anyone can help out, it would be appriciated.

Thanks

Scott

I just took some low tack masking tape and used it to draw a straight line on the inside of the bumper, to mark off the part to be cut. I used some small scissors to easily cut the urethane. I just did it incrementally, cut a little, test fit, cut a lil more, test fit.

I may give the sissors a try. What I'm really looking for though is a cut up talon bumper so I can get an idea of what all is getting cut. If I hack up the crash beam, is it pratically worthless to even keep in then? I know that the FMIC will be hitting the crash beam.

Thanks

Scott

Well I pretty much have my bumper done after many dirty hours. Sawzall, angle grinder and a marker. I managed to save the crash bar by cutting the bottom half off so the bumper is still supported like factory. I don't know how well the bar will work now if at all. I'm having trouble lining up the drivers side wheel well bolts for the bumper as somewhere the bumper is still hitting the FMIC and I can't find it. Other than that it's all bolted up nice. I need to pull it off and try to level everything out smooth.

I just installed my ETS 1g Short Route IC. It's nice, but the intercooler itself is massive and only a small portion shows from the stock openings on the 1gb talon bumper. I was thinking of speed holes or maybe even trimming up the bumper face, but seems to be difficult and will take away from the car.

Does anyone know if just cutting the upper-inside lip of the bumper (the extra material that lines all of the holes in the bumper) infront of the intercooler will effectively create a low pressure area drawing air up into the face of the bumper and across the hidden rows of my intercooler?

If not, does anyone have any effective ways for cutting a 1gb front bumper? Because of it's design, it seems a bit rough and uncommon to do.

I have the same problem with the punishment racing FMIC short route kit... I was told that it will still be just as effective as is. Think of it kinda like your radiator, it doesn't have to all be exposed to function. It is more about the surface area of the intercooler. So I am not going to hack up my front bumper.

Well, i have the car half torn apart right now anyways, I am just wondering I have a Greddy intercooler kit and i have the 2gb front bumper, i boxed yellow in the picture where the black plastic thing is that covers the bumper bar or w.e. Can i take off that plastic thing and just sawz-all the bumper beam so it doesnt show (cut enough of a chunk out to where you cant see it from the front of car through the bumper) and opens up more intercooler breathing room?? Only a little over half of my intercooler shows, im not too worried about overheating, ### i havent driven the car much so that can be addressed later. I know i love how that black plastic piece looks (matches fog housing) but its got to go!

Sorry for the bent intercooler fins, Don't worry, I went through with a screw driver and straightened all of them up, and then made a tool that uses 4 triangle shaped pins )shape of fin) and really got them looking new.
thanks for the help!

Attachments

• 1234.JPG
    1234.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 369
Got pics of the tool you made?

That part you circled is molded in with the bumper, and yes you can cut it out.
I would not use a saw zaw, the best method I have found was to use a razor blade knife and take your time! I can't stress that one enough I hacked up a bumper by rushing my self and it looked like you would expect it to if you rushed a job. But yes you can cut it out its done all the time, and gives it a slightly more aggresive look if you ask me.

Those look nice, too bad there wasnt a cayenne red one. Any way, Ill get a pic of the tool when i get home. But, the black part isnt the problem, its when the black thing comes off, theres like a bumper support under there if thats what i felt last night? Also is this essential for a little more airflow? thanks

Removing the little plastic piece out does help out a little more as far as cooling goes.
You are opening up the entrane of air into the radiator. If you ever saw straight into your bumper's mouth with out the plastic air guide, you can see that not even half of the cooling stuff covers up the mouth complete, and that the bottom half is empty so air just goes through.
Cutting off the top half raises that area where air can go through and cool into.
Sorry for the long post, hope this made sense.

Go to my gallery I did what you want to do!

I used a dremel with the drywall cut out tool and it worked great.

A diamond carbide bit on a dremel from the hd works wonders. Just tape off your line with some good painters tape and cut away!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back