The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

cutting out the black bar on 97+ eclipse bumper? [Merged 3-11]

Which way to cut it?

• Straight up? 1st pic

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Angled inward? 2nd pic

Votes: 11 84.6%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galaxy said:
If you needed all that,where did it help?:confused:

So just to be on the safe side..trim the fiberglass instead if removing it...best of both worlds.
Our cars are unibodies so if the front clip gets f'ed then it costs lots of money to straighten it out or weld on a new front clip. What’s so confusing about that? ROFL

Ok, you know how on the 92-94 Talon front bumper, right where the Eagle emblem is there are the 2 sunk in spots on each side...on Sheps car and a few other 1g's I've seen those holes are cut out. Has anyone done this? I'm wondering what sort of gains you get from this, and how much. I'm repainting my Talon right now, and my bumper is sanded down anyways, so I'm thinking if doing that might help me a little I'll whack away at it.

Im not sure what purpose this would serve...as there is the radiator behind those holes. If you wanted to do this you could take a dremmell tool and cut very slowly and carefully to the size you wanted. Maybee put a grill behind it or something. I dont know. Or perhaps some neon lighting :rolleyes:

Neon lighting....hmmm no thanks, LOL. Yeah, I figured it'd be there for more air but yeah, doesn't make much sense to me either.
I think maybe if I don't do that I might just fill them in so it's all smooth...that might look nicer.

I just bought sbr fmic w/ short route piping and i want to cut where i circled off. I was thinking either using a knife,heating it up and cutting it, or maybe a dremel?? And i am worried if i cut it will i have to paint it i am not to sure how it will come out,any close up pic would be great.

thanks

Well, I used a razor. I just took it nice and slow and easy. Take your time, its not something you want to rush.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Yep, a razor blade would work best. Cut from the inside of the bumper so that your edge isn't exposed. If you use a dremel, you leave rougher edges on the bumper and it might cause your paint to start flaking or chipping off.

The_EE said:
Well, I used a razor. I just took it nice and slow and easy. Take your time, its not something you want to rush.

Man that a nice little meet you guys have there I would love to be crusin one day and turn a corner and find a bunch of boosted dsm's wouldn't that be cool :thumb: :dsm: :talon:

I went the with a roto-zip. I have a hard time using slow tools - :)
I just cut it close then sanded it back to the line with a die grinder.

With the razor blade i found out that you cant cut the part where it turns to good. I also used a roto-zip. but i bought the bumber new so there is no paint. on the roto-zip i used a carbide bit. its the same bit i used to port out my o2 housing. it working really good and smooth. after i was done i used wet/dry sandpaper and sanded the edge done with water. Goodluck

Used a dremmel with a cutting wheel does melt a little but you sand it off. And I had to cut the bumper support behind it and just used a saw-sal with a fine blade works really nice.

i used my ductboard knife its a tool used for fiberglass ductboard for HVAC purposes worked awesome and only took one pass to cut it off nice and clean.

I used a die grinder with a cutt off wheel on my buddies '99 GST. Cleaned up the cut with a drum sander. Worked great!

Hey guys, I'm in the processing of installing the Buddyclub2 kit (I know... but I fell it love with the kit after seeing it in person)...

But I've come to the realization that the front isn't nearly as big as it should be for my intercooler... even the 2gb front had a bigger opening for it... So I'm going to cut it. What do you guys think? Straight up the sides cut? Or angled more inward cut? It's just difficult because the buddy2 front bumper opening slants outwards instead of inwards as it goes up when compared the the 2gb. I did a quick photoshop of both using a photo from the gallery.

I like the second pic better.

I agree the second picture looks a little cleaner however I would have just done the 2GB conversion and not but the bodykit. Now your going to get harrassed by the police and since your fully built your going to get a referee ticket like I did. I love being stock body. Good luck with your decision Yoshi.

Dude, I looked everywhere for the 97-99 side skirts and door caps but couldn't find any for a decent price...Then, someone offered this kit to me for a really good price. This kit looked actually pretty close to stock, and I liked the way it looked... so meh.:p

I had been debating for a while whether or not to cut my front bumper. I was finally convinced to go do it after browsing some of the pictures on here. My bumper also had some ugly lisence plate holes in it anyway. Some of you might not appreciate the look, but I'm sure most anyone who's done it can appreciate the effort that goes into cutting that big ass 1G steel bumper. ROFL

I'll keep these; one day I might need them.

Craftsman Twin Cutter saw. Also used to cut up a whole car without changing blades yet.

Test fit

Final product

Now I just need to clean my intercooler. :D

Mine is similar in the cut out upwards on bumper cover for more air to intercooler. I just hacked out entire center of bean and was done with it though and added the rallylights and Mitsu looking vents.

I don't run all the time with the alum. skidplate underneath. Weighs a ton but nice when I need it.

I know on 2g's you have to bolt the front bumper from the top too. Did you just bolt it to the headlight support and it holds?

Wow I was spending almost 2-4 hours on one of the last nice days of the year trying to get my metal crash beam to fit nice and snug with my FMIC. It still isnt trimmed good enough. I've been using my plasma cutter, its so fun!

My adventure with the actual front bumper is horrendous, I'm going to need a new bumper to re-trim since mine is all gawdy and zigzag crap looks so sketchy.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back