The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

cutting out the black bar on 97+ eclipse bumper? [Merged 3-11]

Which way to cut it?

• Straight up? 1st pic

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Angled inward? 2nd pic

Votes: 11 84.6%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halik

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 16, 2002
ann arbor, Michigan
are there any pictures of it? I thougth it would look awesome, with a huge hole for an intercooler :)

i think he meant the part with horizontal lines on top of the open area of our front bumper, so there's more air flow to the FMIC

Me and my friend did it to his WRX with his HUUUGE blitz I/C, it looks friggen awesome....

Before.....

Attachments

• wrxout.jpg
    wrxout.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 635
how did you cut it? did you paint over it at all?

that "black bar" meets up with the acual bumper. you would have to also cut out some of the bumper to have it look like anything

airpoppoff got it, we just used a dremel, then just fine sanded it down. It took about 45 minutes after we got the bumper off. It's pretty easy and if you cut right where the black peice meets the paint, it will look good, just make sure you dont take paint off.

Originally posted by captconnels
airpoppoff got it, we just used a dremel, then just fine sanded it down. It took about 45 minutes after we got the bumper off. It's pretty easy and if you cut right where the black peice meets the paint, it will look good, just make sure you dont take paint off.

right on thats cool, if anyone else reads this i forgot to post.... mine is just painted along with the car....

Attachments

• mvc-006s.jpg
    mvc-006s.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 805
i've seen some eclipses with gredddy fmic, and the "black bar" cut out. You cannot see the upper piping until you duck down to see the piping. As long as you're looking down from the top... then the piping should not be seen.

Well I installed my FMIC and my bumper needs a lot of hacking. I tried to use my sawz all, but yah that didnt work :laugh: I tried a razor blade too but the sawz all worked better. So what should I use to cut it? I need to cut a lot and I need to be accurate so it looks good.

O, and I have searched and read dozens of posts, but nobody said what they were using to cut. Thanks in advance.

what material is the bumper? When I cut my 97 front end I used a dremel with a cutoff wheel and just slowly cut it. at the end once I felt it looked good I went across one more time to do some final straightening out. Worked pretty good although I did slip once and take the paint off the side OMG

I also used a dremel. I'd suggest you do this in a well ventilated area though.

Well about 16 cut off wheels and half a lung later I am done. Took a lot of time to cut but it looks good. I went from this:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

to this:

:cool:

Thanks guys :dsm:

looks alright, please post other pics...pics fro the side ect

For future reference, a dremel (or same type of tool) with a RotoZip cutting drill bit works wonders. Metal or wood bit works fine with Plastic/Urethane. But, be careful because that bit is designed to rip, so it can get lose from you and go crazy. Slow rpm on the dremel and firm tight grip on it and on whatever your cutting. :thumb:

When I cut mine I used a stripe of masking tape to create a straight edge to follow then used a cutoff wheel on a air die grinder and went slow. Once I was done cutting, the urethane is yellowish, so I used some black paint and hit the edges. Lots of test fitting to make it work too.

This is what I ended up with.

Attachments

• 14001bumper_on.jpg
    14001bumper_on.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 602
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back