The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Street Build 1G Build: Return of the DSMer!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lots of small projects. I'm doing away with my tubular front crossmember in order to add in thick poly bushings for extra comfort. So far I've felt less vibration and less drivetrain noise with the new setup. I'll be putting the Bulfab member up for sale soon. It always sucks having to burn out the old bushings with a blowtorch because the old rubber gets everywhere and will stain driveways and concrete. I'm so happy I bought this press a long time ago; it's well worth the cost. I also wire wheeled and repainted my timing side and front motor mounts.

A funny aside, I ordered the front poly bushing off Amazon and installed it. A couple days later I was rummaging through my parts bin and found another brand new poly bushing. I have so much stuff in my parts bin I didn't know I owned one already even when I went looking for it.

Last edited:
I've really been trying to clean the engine bay up but's so difficult when the PO f***ing spray-painted it. The paint has been peeling for years and I'll never be happy with it until I've repainted it. However, I did go ahead and repaint my brake master cylinder as well as buy new yellow zinc-coated bolts for 90% of the engine bay. I sanded then used Rustoleum for the paint. I've also started sanding and wire-wheeling all of the parts that weren't masked properly when the bay was originally spray painted. The brake master cylinder and thermostat housing have always looked like hell and it's nice to have cleaned them up.

View attachment 631140View attachment 631148View attachment 631142View attachment 631143View attachment 631144View attachment 631146View attachment 631147View attachment 631151View attachment 631153View attachment 631154

Last edited:
I've really been trying to clean the engine bay up but's so difficult when the PO f***ing spray-painted it. The paint has been peeling for years and I'll never be happy with it until I've repainted it. However, I did go ahead and repaint my brake master cylinder as well as buy new yellow zinc-coated bolts for 90% of the engine bay. I sanded then used Rustoleum for the paint. I've also started sanding and wire-wheeling all of the parts that weren't masked properly when the bay was originally spray painted. The brake master cylinder and thermostat housing have always looked like hell and it's nice to have cleaned them up.

View attachment 631140View attachment 631148View attachment 631142View attachment 631143View attachment 631144View attachment 631146View attachment 631147View attachment 631151View attachment 631153View attachment 631154
Nice, I just placed a big order of yellow zinc hardware to finish out my build

I redid my catch my catch can setup again. I'm done with the sealed setup and will be doing an open system from now on. The MCR valve cover baffle system was horrible. I went to TX2K and came back to my car to notice oil pooled up under the old catch can. Long story short the MCR baffle lets oil gush out of the 10an ports into the catch. The MCR guy was of course not helpful and blamed by engine even though my old valve cover didn't let a drop of oil out. I wound up cutting out some oil drains for the baffling system and elevated the new catch can rather than having it in the wheel well. These changes seem to be working.

View attachment 631315View attachment 631316View attachment 631318View attachment 631319View attachment 631326

Last edited:
Just to add my own personal and very limited input, when I ditched the stupid factory “sealed” design and went to a vented set up I never had issues again. My dipstick doesn’t need a spring to hold it down, when I started pushing 30+psi on the fp red the factory set up didn’t like it much. Sure you can run bigger lines to a catch can, but your still pressurizing the $h#! Out of your system with big boost. That pressure is no longer a concern on a vented set up because… it’s vented LOL, my valve cover has no baffle other than a strip of aluminum welded under the breather ports, and after a max of 37psi on a dsm82 and roughly 60-62 lb per/min airflow, I NEVER saw more than a few ounces of oil in the can. Now granted I know I had good ring compression, so your amount of blow by will effect this, but I personally think stinking to sealed set up on a highly modified dsm is kind of:banghead:

Just to add my own personal and very limited input, when I ditched the stupid factory “sealed” design and went to a vented set up I never had issues again. My dipstick doesn’t need a spring to hold it down, when I started pushing 30+psi on the fp red the factory set up didn’t like it much. Sure you can run bigger lines to a catch can, but your still pressurizing the $h#! Out of your system with big boost. That pressure is no longer a concern on a vented set up because… it’s vented LOL, my valve cover has no baffle other than a strip of aluminum welded under the breather ports, and after a max of 37psi on a dsm82 and roughly 60-62 lb per/min airflow, I NEVER saw more than a few ounces of oil in the can. Now granted I know I had good ring compression, so your amount of blow by will effect this, but I personally think stinking to sealed set up on a highly modified dsm is kind of:banghead:
For different reasons I wanted the sealed setup because it would make the engine more efficient blah blah but it just isn't worth it in the end. I had the same baffle setup as you with the aluminum strip, and I kid you not there wasn't a drop of oil in my catch can after running my htz76 at 36-37psi for a year. I drop in the MCR vc and it almost drains engine of oil in the 30 minutes of driving...I really wanted the billet cover work so that's why I switched everything up.

Last edited:
30some psi of boost is cute...…:p
The abstract paint on the strut tower is a nice touch too...…..:thumb:
Boy it feels good to tease someone...……….Car looks amazing Nick!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back