The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

What did you do to your DSM today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shout-out to DSM Alley on FB for finding me a short shifter. Installed a B&M short shifter with my son, along with Torque solution shifter bushings and STM cable bushings, then washed it.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Does this look like normal gap to you guys with the PP unbolted but sitting fully down on the clutch disk?

I personally would appreciate a nice new detailed write up on how to implement/install this. Or is it really so simple it doesn’t require one? Which output did you get?
You hook up the + wire and that's it.

Similar to people running multiple 255s back in the day, the higher amp alternator mod misses the mark. We need higher voltage, not higher amps. I ran a 160 amp alternator many years ago and juggled a few size pulleys to get the right size (that's a whole thing there I could dive into further if wanted), but I'd at best get mid-upper 13v with it and that's with rewiring it using 0/1 gauge. The answer for us is a Saturn alternator with the S wire ran correctly to get mid 14 volts at all times. It's AMAZING compared to any other alternator I've had, it's on my Mt Rushmore of DSM mods.

Shout-out to DSM Alley on FB for finding me a short shifter. Installed a B&M short shifter with my son, along with Torque solution shifter bushings and STM cable bushings, then washed it.

DANGIT I need a B&M for my new 2g, did they have another :/ ?

Bet you never seen bolts like this on a thermostat housing

Looks like the bolts I pulled out of a transmission today, I had to heat 5 of the case bolts to get them to come loose and they pulled a ton of rust out with them.

Looks like the bolts I pulled out of a transmission today, I had to heat 5 of the case bolts to get them to come loose and they pulled a ton of rust out with them.

How in the hell do those threads survive, but loosening mine by hand with a ratchet results in the threads being pulled out like the world's worst helicoil being removed?

How in the hell do those threads survive, but loosening mine by hand with a ratchet results in the threads being pulled out like the world's worst helicoil being removed?

Heat and impact. Heat the aluminum to expand it and go back and forth with an impact, if you try to go straight out the threads will bind out with crud for sure.

Funny how going back and forth doesn't magically make crud disappear, it's still trapped in the thread, yet in the majority of cases it works. Grinds it to a finer powder, perhaps.. sometimes you don't ask how the sausage is made

Funny how going back and forth doesn't magically make crud disappear, it's still trapped in the thread, yet in the majority of cases it works. Grinds it to a finer powder, perhaps.. sometimes you don't ask how the sausage is made
it also spreads it out so it's not binding up in one spot.

This guy failed to work.

So I started doing research. Bought a Jensen double din head unit, made a small modification to the oem head unit mounting brackets to bolt them to the Jensen. Then made a patch harness.

Added some Kenwood door speakers to replace the factory blown ones. Also bought the plug and play adapters for each speaker. End result.

Also replaced the bottom door card plastic locating pins so it is very secure now.

He was able to find mine pretty easily, and charged a reasonable price, but there is one on the classifieds as we speak.
I scooped it, no idea how I missed that one! Thanks

This guy failed to work.

So I started doing research. Bought a Jensen double din head unit, made a small modification to the oem head unit mounting brackets to bolt them to the Jensen. Then made a patch harness.

Added some Kenwood door speakers to replace the factory blown ones. Also bought the plug and play adapters for each speaker. End result.

Also replaced the bottom door card plastic locating pins so it is very secure now.
I was just thinking of a replacement radio yesterday! Will keep this in mind when I get to that point. Thanks for sharing this!

I was just thinking of a replacement radio yesterday! Will keep this in mind when I get to that point. Thanks for sharing this!
There is a company that sells the plugs with pigtails to adapt to the factory harness. For a 1g head unit it is $9.

Metra 70-1743​

For the speakers plugs on a 1g and probably a 2g it is $6 per pair.

Metra 72-9301 Speaker Connector for Select Toyota/Mitsubishi​

The sides of the Jensen J1CA7 have threaded holes that fit 3 of the 4 screws from the factory radio brackets. I’d have to think 2g is similar. It all bolts together, no trimming or cutting required.

Crutchfield said nothing would fit my car. The reality is that the car is not well documented because it’s too old. Hope this all helps.

There is a company that sells the plugs with pigtails to adapt to the factory harness. For a 1g head unit it is $9.

Metra 70-1743​

For the speakers plugs on a 1g and probably a 2g it is $6 per pair.

Metra 72-9301 Speaker Connector for Select Toyota/Mitsubishi​

The sides of the Jensen J1CA7 have threaded holes that fit 3 of the 4 screws from the factory radio brackets. I’d have to think 2g is similar. It all bolts together, no trimming or cutting required.

Crutchfield said nothing would fit my car. The reality is that the car is not well documented because it’s too old. Hope this all helps.
Much appreciated my good sir! All good info to have!

Got it all assembled and running again. Alas it's still not fully disengaging, but I knew it wouldn't. This was more preventative maintenance than anything. Next up is what I think the real culprit is: the master cylinder.

Oh, I did finish doing this.

Bought this little oem look-a-like coolant overflow tank from eChinaBay for like $10 on sale, and it came with the little silver mount for it. I used the stock holes for the clutch accumulator bracket on the siderail there, and it bolted right in with no drilled or cutting, and clears the trans and my short-route piping perfectly. And, it looks OEM, which is what I wanted. Just needed about 3' of brand new 5/16" coolant hose. Super pleased with it.

Last edited:

Started in on rewiring this disaster nest.

Finalized my new gauge faces.

Accidentally broke and repaired the smallest connector pin...in the World.

Stood back and stared at 97% completion.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back