The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

my sick 96 Eagle Talon TSI AWD street build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whats this guy running on his honda that hes the fastest in the town? a turbo whistler in his exhaust :p

you have to beable to picture how small of a town I live in when I say this. he has a little HB with a 1.8 DOHC and so far it may be the fastest import. im not sure completely. I haven't seen much more than that here LOL.

Right on man! Looks like everything is starting to piece itself together. Don't rush it, take your time and do it right the first time!!!

I hear that bud. LOL that's why its taken this long so far.

Just ordered my ARP main studs so here in a couple days ill beable to start peicing the bottom end together http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a510/countryDSM/arp_main_studs_4g63_evo_dsm_zps8235ce88.jpg

well I got my new crank and king bearing droped into my block today. starting to come together. also got my OFH ported as well. I had 2 trys at this since I had 2 OFHs, 1 from the engine I just got, and then the 1 from my engine originally. I was planning on using the one from my engine originally for the simple fact that it is cleaned and everything looks good on the coolant connections as apposed to the 1 that was on the engine I just got, 1 of the coolant hoses is kinked pretty bad and would chance putting it on my fresh block.

well heres pics.

IMAG0259_zpsacc23a84.jpg Photo by countryDSM | Photobucket

IMAG0262_zps699d1d97.jpg Photo by countryDSM | Photobucket

IMAG0262_zps699d1d97.jpg Photo by countryDSM | Photobucket

IMAG0267_zps8b1dfbd3.jpg Photo by countryDSM | Photobucket

IMAG0266_zpsbecc31fb.jpg Photo by countryDSM | Photobucket

let me know what you guys think. not able to bolt the girdle on just yet, waiting on my ARP main studs

heres a short update of my build. the engine I picked up for parts had a brand spankin new front case, oil pump, and water pump. so I processed to take the new front case apart because it also had the BSE kit done to it. I was going to see if I could have gotten lucky to get another GOOD stub shaft. not the cheap ebay 1. well I wasn't that lucky. it had the bad stub shaft. would have seized up within minutes. but I did take my good parts from my original front case and put them on the brand new case. the guy that did the kit on the new front case didn't seal the metal plug very well so I made it right with some jb weld on the front and high temp copper gasket sealer on the back, don't want that to be leaking ofcourse once everythings put together and running. :thumb::D

Attachments

• IMAG0274.jpg
    IMAG0274.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 131
  • IMAG0275.jpg
    IMAG0275.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 112
  • IMAG0276.jpg
    IMAG0276.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 115
  • IMAG0277.jpg
    IMAG0277.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 114
  • IMAG0278.jpg
    IMAG0278.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 134
I got my ARP main studs in yesterday. Ill be working on getting more together this weekend. A good buddy of mine is bringing over some ARP rod bolts for me that he doesnt need and then well be putting most of the bottom end together. Will have pics when we get her closer.

There's not much to do on my spyder :)... Just saving $$ for a trans rebuild and all we gotta do is drop the motor and trans in and bolt it in the car :thumb:

It'll be great to have both my DSMs goin at the same time! Jus needs buy another dirt cheap eBay 16g since I used my other one on my Talon :hellyeah:

We should be able to knock your build out fairly fast once u got all the parts :cool:

Yep hopefully. Im shooting for the end of summer itll be done. But then i wont have long until she gets put away fro the winter.

got these arp rod bolts from Matt. thanks buddy.
didn't get much of a chance to do anything to the engine at all this weekend. my DD timing belt broke last Wednesday and just got it fixed Friday night with black97spyder.

Attachments

• IMAG0354.jpg
    IMAG0354.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 99
No problem at all buddy! Glad I could help get your DD back on the road :thumb:

Got my Talon running a few hours ago and got to drive it for just a bit. Got a few boost leaks to fix ### the 16g is spoiling slow (could be the monster cams LOL) and a couple bolts to check to make sure they're tight... This means It's time to start bustin a** on your Talon to get her up and going!!

today I finally after waiting awhile because of my DD breaking down, was able to put on my main girdle and get it torqued down. and yes I did the torque to 60 in 3 steps, (20, 40, 60) then loosen then repeat x5. wasn't for sure if the ARP mains studs are torque to yield so I did it anyways.

I also got my ARP rod bolts put into the rods. so tomorrow they will finally go into the block.

Attachments

• IMAG0372.jpg
    IMAG0372.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMAG0374.jpg
    IMAG0374.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 88
  • IMAG0375.jpg
    IMAG0375.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 84
got the pistons and rods in last Thursday night and bolted up the crank
got the front case and OFH on this weekend.

Attachments

• IMAG0396.jpg
    IMAG0396.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 76
  • IMAG0393.jpg
    IMAG0393.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 82
  • IMAG0379.jpg
    IMAG0379.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 97
I havent been on here for awhile to give any updates. I dont have to much to update on since work has been getting pretty hectic but i still work on my engine when i get a chance. Ill post a couple new pics later on tonight when i get off work and get home.

I'm sure you know, but as a friendly reminder, in your last 2 pictures, your alternator bracket is upside down on your water pump ;)

yes thank you. I noticed after I put the water pump on. when I was setting the water pump the gasket sealer was drying rather fast so I was in a rush to put the water pump on and just slapped the alt bracket on

ive also had to take everything apart due to a broken main bolt as well. so these are taken after the bottom end was put back together.

Attachments

• IMAG1573.jpg
    IMAG1573.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 94
  • IMAG1575.jpg
    IMAG1575.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 92
Over last weekend i got around to having some time to mess with my talon. I went ahead and got a new crank trigger plate since mine was pretty wallowed out in the center and it was farely cheap. I got the front umper and headlights all taken out and ready for a FMIC when i get one andalso deleted the A/C

Attachments

• IMAG1682.jpg
    IMAG1682.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMAG1687.jpg
    IMAG1687.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 81
  • IMAG1689.jpg
    IMAG1689.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMAG1670.jpg
    IMAG1670.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 77
I havent posted in a few day. But lately ive been doin a few little things things with the taling build. Found a new "new to me" hatch to replace the primered 1 that i had before. The old 1 had rust underneath. And got in my new bc cams, bc dual springs and Ti retainers, bc valve stem seals, kiggly HLA, gates racing timing belt, ITM revised 3g lifters, ARP cam cap bolts, ARP head studs, and head gasket. Will be getting the AEM True time adj cam gears and BC billet steel keepers soon, then everything is going to the machine shop to get ported, polished, 3 angle valve job and assembled.

Attachments

• IMAG1755.jpg
    IMAG1755.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 81
  • IMAG1744.jpg
    IMAG1744.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 80
  • IMAG1748.jpg
    IMAG1748.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 74
I haven't posted for a few days atleast and have a few updates. I ordered in a set of ferrea copper exhaust guides and ferrea bonze intake guides. a couple weeks ago I sent in the head to a local cylinder head shop to get it milled, a valve job done, cleaned (hot tanked), even tho they cant hot tank a aluminum head, and everything assembled, which taken everything to this shop was a huge mistake on my part, I will never go back my self.

I work out of town at the moment so I was not able to pick up the head once it was done, so I had my wife pick up the head and I should have coached her on what was suppose to be done and what to look for. I get home from work late that night, and come to find out he screwed up my cam cap dowel pins, paint runs all over the intake and exhaust mani mating surfaces, the head was not cleaned what so ever, on 1 of the valves, the keeper was not installed flush with the retainer, and everything else, ie cams, rollers, lifters, hla, etc wasn't assembled.

but anyways im still waiting my cam cap dowel pins to show up so I can install everything else, but here are so updated pics.

I did fix the keeper myself, and got the paint runs off all the mating surfaces.

Attachments

• IMAG1803.jpg
    IMAG1803.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 82
  • IMAG1829.jpg
    IMAG1829.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMAG1832.jpg
    IMAG1832.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 84
  • IMAG1837.jpg
    IMAG1837.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMAG1807.jpg
    IMAG1807.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 78
  • IMAG1805.jpg
    IMAG1805.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMAG1802.jpg
    IMAG1802.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 79
Havent updated this for a while now. But i havent made awhole lot of progress but i have done some things. Heres the latest pics of my talon and build.

This is the cas harness i built for my 1g cas to 96 talon harness

Attachments

• IMAG2119.jpg
    IMAG2119.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMAG2113.jpg
    IMAG2113.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMAG2114.jpg
    IMAG2114.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 83
  • IMAG2155.jpg
    IMAG2155.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 80
  • IMAG2150.jpg
    IMAG2150.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 80
Finally got around to installing my VRSF front mount. Took alittle more work than i thuaght but it turned out pretty good in the end.

Attachments

• IMAG2182.jpg
    IMAG2182.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 81
  • IMAG2184.jpg
    IMAG2184.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMAG2188.jpg
    IMAG2188.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 83
  • IMAG2189.jpg
    IMAG2189.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 78
Don't forget to get a good aftermarket trans cooler to keep that trans lasting for a long time bro... and relocate that thing to the passenger side where the SMIC used to be. It will help with I/C clearance, get rid of the nasty looking metal lines that are like 5' long and make your trans cooler lines like 2' each way instead of like 5' each way

Slowly but surely its about to get there. Looks good man, just thought I'd chime in too. (Matt's Dad) Like your love of advertising!!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back