The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

99 GSX Rebirth/Clean-Up/Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oh yeah. I'm so excited to assemble everything and then put this thing in storage and never drive it LOL. But yes, I'll be honest I wish they were way more gold/shiny but extremely happy considering this is what all the bolts looked like previously. Couldn't imagine spending all this time and money powdercoating everything and using old rusty bolts.

51097642533_eaf196f9de_b.jpg
Screenshot 2021-04-05 125220 by Brady Dingeldein, on Flickr

Maybe the lack of shine/color is due to them not being perfect bolts to begin with, obviously the media blasting roughens up the surface a bit so it isn't mirror smooth etc. But still, love how they turned out. I'll plate everything I can find now haha.

One of the few build threads I come back here to follow. Looking good so far!

As far as the shine to the coating, you need to wire well each bolt to a shine after media blasting to get that shine like factory. I follow a guy on the E30 forum that does concourse resto's on old BMW's and that was his tip for getting the gold to shine like stock. It's a bunch of work to do all the hardware, but it'll look OE coated

One of the few build threads I come back here to follow. Looking good so far!

As far as the shine to the coating, you need to wire well each bolt to a shine after media blasting to get that shine like factory. I follow a guy on the E30 forum that does concourse resto's on old BMW's and that was his tip for getting the gold to shine like stock. It's a bunch of work to do all the hardware, but it'll look OE coated
Thanks man!

And yeah that's what I figured! I may do this on the next batch... TBD! haha.

So I started organizing on my couch lastnight.

51098885419_aa0b137c42_k.jpg
Untitled by Brady Dingeldein, on Flickr

I took pics of a ton of the bolt sets for various parts, but I also just started throwing every bolt I could find in the bucket, so there are a lot that are not really "to" anything. I'm just going to organize them all into size/length/type etc when I'm done picking out the "sets" of bolts.

For example:

51099613015_9116670a8e_k.jpg

51098806511_d0bca39b58_k.jpg

Peace!

-Brady

I wrapped up all the organizing. I'm a little frustrated with how many different bolts are on this thing.

I had to combine a Lot of similar bolts just for the sake of not having 7 of these trays. Out of all of those bolts I have (1) grade 10 bolt for example. Crazy.

I have another batch going to be blasted once I schedule their sizes and lengths etc.

A big thing I realized I failed to do was specify head type and grade of bolt.. I should have taken a picture of the head, but I chalk it up to me not even seeing the head because of all the rust and grease/dirt etc that was on them.

51101617870_9cd06eea6e_k.jpg

Yo!

Its crunch time over here getting this thing ready for paint!

51143374561_7c6d0282bc_b.jpg
IMG_2066 by bradydings, on Flickr

Everything I can remove has been removed. The shop will pull the glass and everything else.

I worked on marking up the holes that I will have filled. Sooo many. I forgot I had this many filled.

51144154189_18cb64e754_b.jpg
IMG_2059 by bradydings, on Flickr

51144154034_1e6a673974_b.jpg
IMG_2060 by bradydings, on Flickr

51143375666_c5d8b7e543_b.jpg
IMG_2061 by bradydings, on Flickr

51142703692_079291f402_b.jpg
IMG_2062 by bradydings, on Flickr

Debating on what to do about the ABS hole. If it were a flat piece It would be different, but it has a ton of weird shapes to it. Undecided.

I'm also pretty positive I'm shaving the AC and heater core holes. The wiper nozzles are being filled front and rear, as well as the wiper hole on the trunk.

I also got another batch of small things from STM. I picked up their badass bolt on intercooler core that allows stock 2GB fogs still.

51144155709_26b3b3693c_b.jpg
IMG_2036 by bradydings, on Flickr

51143596438_ea5e96570d_b.jpg
IMG_2038 by bradydings, on Flickr

I'm going to keep cleaning this shell and then I'll throw the subframes under it and off to paint this week. It will be gone a month, which I thought was an amazing turnaround for the amount of working I'm asking to be done. I plan on getting as much done in the meantime while the shell is out of the garage. Cleaning parts, cleaning interior parts etc so I can start to install everything the minute its back!!

Peace!

-Brady

Have you considered doing the welding and patching yourself? Labor costs for this sorts of work can get so pricey so I have been struggling with "do some of it myself" vs. "let a shop handle it all".

And man o man I didn't realize that there were THAT many holes in the bay LOL I've torn a few (many) of these down and I guess it just doesn't register that there are that many holes and such for brackets, lines and sensors. It will look so good once all of those are filled over and shaved.

On that note what is your direction for the car now? Just a fun, clean street car? Drag? Track? Resto? I will say seeing your updates keeps me motivated on my build so keep it up :pray: (selfish ask there LOL)

Have you considered doing the welding and patching yourself? Labor costs for this sorts of work can get so pricey so I have been struggling with "do some of it myself" vs. "let a shop handle it all".

And man o man I didn't realize that there were THAT many holes in the bay LOL I've torn a few (many) of these down and I guess it just doesn't register that there are that many holes and such for brackets, lines and sensors. It will look so good once all of those are filled over and shaved.

On that note what is your direction for the car now? Just a fun, clean street car? Drag? Track? Resto? I will say seeing your updates keeps me motivated on my build so keep it up :pray: (selfish ask there LOL)

I'd rather pay someone to do the entire car. I've messed with it myself enough! And yeah, so many holes haha.

Level of detail is amazing. Love it.

And the patience it takes to slowly build something over time. I elected to take my car down and upgrade a few things two weeks ago, and I'm already itching for boost again.

Car is off to paint! So excited. Feel like this has been 15 years in the making haha.

51159768760_daa5204e2d_k.jpg
Untitled by bradydings, on Flickr

51159442524_b41d18314b_k.jpg

He is starting on cleaning/degreasing the underbody and wheel wells. Subframes are on finger tight, so he will drop those etc. Andrew (Painter) is also going to help fix some damage on the rocker panels, nothing big, just figured if hes down there might as well straighten them up at the pinchwelds.

Once he is about complete with the underbody I will bring all the other parts for him to spray. He gave me a month timeline to get it all wrapped up, but I told him I wouldn't be upset if it took 3 months haha. I'm in no rush. Will honestly enjoy parking in the garage for a bit!

Peace!

-Brady

Hey!

So while the car is away I am attempting to get as much done as possible.

First task is organizing all the bolts I still have in my bucket. I documented them all before dumping them in the bucket to be blasted and zinc plated.

51171253549_05aadcbd95_k.jpg

51170290008_da546492a6_k.jpg

I made sure to take pictures of the head of the bolt to make sure the grade is the same etc. I'm sure I will still need some help once assembly begins to make sure I've got the correct bolts!

I've also been pumped to finally park in my own garage while the DSM is gone. I'm going to try and not get used to it....

51170469346_5a1b28589c_k.jpg

Peace!

I had another batch of items go to the blaster. All of my remaining bolts etc and some brackets/arms.

I'm debating on what I want zinc plated and what I want powdercoated... I almost wish I wouldn't have spent the money powdercoating some things, and plated them instead. For instance, I don't really need the rear bumper brackets top/bottom powdercoated. You will never see them. etc.

View attachment 631587Untitled by bradydings, on Flickr

Car is still at the body shop, so no updates on that!

Peace.

Yo!

Got my next batch of stuff from the platers.

View attachment 632867Untitled by bradydings, on Flickr

More and more small things throughout the exterior/engine bay and interior.

I also got some bigger brackets done.

All the exhaust hangars, bumper brackets, sway bar brackets, subframe plates and gas hose clamps.

Super pumped to start assembly, but the car is still at paint!

View attachment 632868 by bradydings, on Flickr

Peace.

Whew...3 days in the making but I finally made it to the most recent post. Great job documenting your journey over the last 8 years. You've inspired me to go a little further than I originally planned with this Northstar White AWD swapped Spyder I just picked up. Keep up the great work!

So my painter told me he has to move shops at the end of the month and was attempting to get the whole car done in that time, which I thought was crazy. So anyway I went to drop off the bumpers/skirts etc and took some pics!

51605117188_d15fe46034_k.jpg

The whole bay is pretty much shaved, minus the AC hole, and the two Heater core holes in the firewall.

He also just raptor lined the whole underside/wheel wells! I'm super impressed with how thorough he is. Every hole/stud is taped etc. He also dropped the subframes to get under them.

51605560094_fd135150d7_k.jpg

51605117193_8331a769c0_k.jpg

51604075132_c7b829ee5b_k.jpg

51604075147_8cc1b5778b_k.jpg

51605117198_3858919e9e_k.jpg

Going to look so minty with everything underneath powdercoated or zinc plated. Some people have expressed concern about raptor lining the underneath due to rusting, and "hiding" the rust until its far too gone. I don't know. It is extremely dry in Denver, exposed bare metal won't even rust sitting in my garage for months. I don't drive it in the rain/snow, and it was thoroughly cleaned and prepped before the raptor liner. I'm not too concerned about it!

I told the painter he didn't need to rush, and I would pay to have it trailered over to his new shop if he wanted. I didn't want him to feel rushed etc. He can take his time, I've already had the thing for so damn long anyway.

Peace!

-Brady

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back