The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

99 GSX Clean Street Monster

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

genegoesfast

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 3, 2010
Nashville, Tennessee
First, here's the link to my old school journal entries.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/blogs/genegoesfast/
A basic recap in case you don't want to go back in time and read those old posts....

I received the gsx as a trade, along with some cash and injectors.
This:
IMAG0040.jpg

For this: (minus the intercooler, which I added)
ccef1dea.jpg

e54bcbf8.jpg

It had 176k miles on it, a few mods(some eBay), fuel cut like a banshee, and an auto trans. I wasn't super excited about the auto trans, the miles, the eBay turbo, the ride height, etc........
I threw some 650 fix injectors to solve the fuel cut and drove it.

My initial plan was to accumulate parts as I went until I had all the parts I needed to build the motor. On the way home one night, the car overheated and I could get off the highway quickly. The water pump was shot as well as the head gasket(at least I thought it was). I figured while replacing the water pump and head gasket I should go ahead and do the timing belt, BSE kit, cams, turbo.......well just build the damn motor.

So the engine build:
99 7 bolt revised thrust bearing block
JE .20 over pistons
Eagle rods
BSE kit
Clevite bearings
ARP L19 headstuds
Hks 272/272 cams
Mitsubishi MLS head gasket
5 angle valve job

Oh and while I was at it the car was swapped over to manual.

After installing catch can, intercooler, and powder coating some things.
b80699f7.jpg

New wheels and a shaved front bumper.
28210d1b.jpg

Now basically up to speed. I am now on my quest to build a very clean, fast, street car that I can daily drive and have fun with. I'll be updating often as I can't stop screwing with this car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great. Keep it up :)

After installing wheels I really, really needed to address the "riding like a monster truck" issue. I did so with a tokico illumina suspension kit that I picked up crazy cheap.
IMAG0313.jpg

Lower
IMAG0383.jpg

It rubbed in the back so time to roll.(more explanation on the body in a bit)
IMAG0503.jpg

2g rear fenders really suck to roll. Had to cut slits and persuade with a hammer.
IMAG0504.jpg

Oh looky there. I got a great deal on a fp manifold. New studs and nuts. New turbo bolts and washers too.
IMAG0297.jpg

IMAG0324.jpg

There's always been a whole bunch of loom hanging out on top of my intake manifold. It finally drove me crazy enough to something about it.

Before
IMAG0524.jpg

During
IMAG0525.jpg

I removed this plug and wires all together.
IMAG0527.jpg

After
IMAG0530.jpg

IMAG0529.jpg

Yeah i saw that gotta get my vc ready, he has a nice thread on the install and specs too.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back