The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1995 GST Rebirth Build!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImJay

Proven Member
Feb 3, 2013
Richmond, Virginia
]Hello!

Well I saw a post on Craigslist for a 1995 GST Eclipse for $2500, The Previous owner had no idea why the car wouldn't stay on upon start up, if he new he wouldn't have to sell the car. SO I drive down to the middle of nowhere to look at the car. Upon arrival to the owners house. the Eclipse was parked deep in the back yard behind a Barn house really, just sitting there wasting away. So I talked with the guy asked him what were the previous issue's, nothing else besides a dead battery, a cracked radiator, a bad Crank Sensor (unbeknownst to The owner) four blown tire's and some gasket's that are bad. I manage to convince him to lower the price of the car to $1500, and had my lovely new car towed on a flat bed back down to Richmond.

So a day or 2 into the work I had proceeded to buy 4 new tire's, 2 new set's of brakes, my friend helped me fixed the Crank Sensor, a new battery. Put gas in the lovely, and once she was running properly I took her for a lovely run down a nice long stretch of road. Needless to say one of the most enjoyable, fast cars, I have driven.

Sadly I forgotten about the Radiator as the crack there worsened over time. The previous owner had not driven the car in over 6-12 months time. It still had it Factory part's and some of those part's are now...junk.

I had gotten me a new Mitsumoto Standard Performance radiator, Installed it but in the process do my wondering eye see's? The J-Pipe Gasket thing-Turbo Out-take Gasket? Fall's off, and It is apparent that my Odometer Cluster is in shamble's as my friend's tampered with it now my car idle's backward's and they put the mile's to 666, that and my Temp Gauge was messed up as it start's a quarter above the cold mark upon start up.

Upon trying to put Gasket on...we tried but it did not go as planned as the test run was very less pleasing. Upon the run the Boost Gauge was skyrocketing up once upon hitting a point in which i needed to let off the gas. it would sink back down. So my friend did a run through and told me i had a serious boost leak, as some of the lining is eroding, and some gasket's are shot. that and the SMIC is junk.

So I am at this point now May 2nd 2013, Next Week I should have: New FMIC from God-speed. A new Bumper Cover. New Gasket's. New Cluster. I will post pic's of the Fun i will have once the part's come in. My goal for this car is to get her running right, and fine, before anything MAJOR get's put into her. I got plan's for her once she is fixed and set.

what ever the J pipe Gasket's name is i will find out!

***2014 Update!!***

Wooh Whoo! Time does fly by! It's almost the 1 year Anniversary of my DSM owner ship! it has been a stressful year with this car but I wouldn't have it any other way, what work I put in with the DSM she gives back a 1000x more. So the last update I said I was getting was a new bumprer, some gaskets, cluster and some more. Happy to say I got all that and more.

rsz_joeys_dsm.jpg

I am happy with this car. It has brought me so much joy ever since I got it. I've learned many things about it and cars in genereal. I am glad that I know YOU guys here and a friend of mine who knows about DSM's as well. I cannot thank you enough for all that you have helped me with! so again THANK YOU! :D

joey_s_dsm_3.jpg

alot has changed in a year. I'm trying to get this engine bay somewhat looking good.

joey_s_dsm_2.jpg

The rebirth build has been coming along nicely. She runs and doesn't have any to know problems. excepts a few little inconviences here and there and some mismatched color but she is happy to be running.

She is my Daily Driver and I have made a clear conscious decision too get as many HP as I can while she still being my daily. (Till I can save up for some beater) I have been install 880 PTE inj. Newly acquired V3 ECU and speed Density set up is gonna be set up hopefully this saturday or sunday. AEM wideband is also ready to get installed. once everything is installed. My buddy will do a good tune, after that process is done we should be decided on where to go next in the build. Baby Steps!

before I had the v3 and speed density, I was having a problem with the car, i posted it on here saying how the car slows down when hitting the throttle, and when I asked someone what they think abbout it, he was a mechanic who does N/A builds. he told me all the perf. stuff i had on their was useless and that I should just stay stock. sell everthing back and just stay stock. He was saying my turbo was dying and that he could sell me a 14b turbo for 250 and that's not including the work charges for him to put it on. Yet when my buddy who has owned 2 DSM's a black GSX (which is gone :( ) and now a blue Talon TSi he took one drive. He then pulled out the computer. a simple click of the button and BAM. Car runs like a champ with no 'restriction'. Turns out for some reason the cars injec. settings (Using the v2 link) were set to 660 instead 880. so it was causing some issues. Here is a video after it was fixed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3_lzqOsPWw

I still have much more to do with her and I'm hoping to an excellent 2014 with the DSM. Updates should be a bit more...frequently..i Hope. LOL Yall have a good one. Long Live DSM.

***2014 Update Jan. 21. end

1145_575282619159705_575658441_n.jpg

602360_575282642493036_55863722_n.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0487[2].jpg
    IMG_0487[2].jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0507[1].jpg
    IMG_0507[1].jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0490[1].jpg
    IMG_0490[1].jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0510[1].jpg
    IMG_0510[1].jpg
    47 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0497[1].JPG
    IMG_0497[1].JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_0495[1].jpg
    IMG_0495[1].jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
We'll here's the update!

So I had successfully waited for my new Front-Mount-Intercooler, to say i was happy is an understatement! So we installed the Intercooler, and also a new Instrument Cluster, put new gasket's on and long behold upon initial start up the leaks were non-exsistent (For the moment) ,and the car ran like it had NO problem in the world. a few little problems did happen though...The Cluster is still not reading the Speedo, nor is it reading the gas gauge, NOW it's not even reading my Oil Pressure, everything else though is golden.

NOW for the biggest problem.

I decided I would take my car to work.Upon getting there is no problem. Upon getting home at 5 in the middle of Rush hour traffic where no one is moving, is a problem. so upon getting back i had to go up a big hill at the top was where the Traffic seemingly ends, but upon climbing this hill my car jerks forward, as if dying out...and it did...in middle lane...of rush hour traffic...needless to say i have been yelled out many times that day.

Cop's had to come and divert traffic and move me into a siding, they had called a tow-truck and i had gotten towed. It's out of the lot now and back home on my grounds but it was a sad day for me.

So upon that me and my buddy decided last sunday to go for a test run. I pushed the car as much as i think i should but when i let off the throttle the car would die out, luckily still moving forward the car was able to turn back on. My buddy say it's probably the Alternator not giving the car enough for the fuel injector's or something along those line's. I honestly will say that when i bought the car i DO NOT KNOW if the previous owner had set the boost higher then needed so the fuel injectors possibly cant handle it. I have to look into a boost gauge next 2 weeks, but if it's not that then it's probs just injectors and i might have to either clean them out or get knew one's.

This will be decided this week.

PIC's will be in first post.

May want to turn some of those pictures around so they're right side up ;) Looks like you saved it from death. Good job... ( :sosad: But that fast/furious bumper should be left off it ;) Just saying...)

Also, since your speedometer isn't functioning with either gauge cluster, you may want to look into replacing the VSS on the transmission. You can also test the fuel gauge if you have a multimeter. I'll look for the post I was shown to help me with that issue and post you the link to save you some time.

Here you go, If you haven't fixed this since you originally posted it. Didn't see the date at first. http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/mai...ry-fuel-gauge-not-accurate.html#post153350386

May want to turn some of those pictures around so they're right side up ;) Looks like you saved it from death. Good job... ( :sosad: But that fast/furious bumper should be left off it ;) Just saying...)

Also, since your speedometer isn't functioning with either gauge cluster, you may want to look into replacing the VSS on the transmission. You can also test the fuel gauge if you have a multimeter. I'll look for the post I was shown to help me with that issue and post you the link to save you some time.

Here you go, If you haven't fixed this since you originally posted it. Didn't see the date at first. http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/mai...ry-fuel-gauge-not-accurate.html#post153350386

The Speedo has been fixed LOL sorry I forgot to mention. The only things that DO NOT work on the gauge cluster are the Fuel gauge and the Oil pressure gauge. I will look into the link your showing me for the fuel and I think I'll just also get a oil pressure gauge as well. I've been putting a lot of gas into her and only able to go short distance before she up and has the fuel light turn on. We figured that problem out last Saturday as the front 02 sensor (stock) is not good anymore ( below 0.2 v ) so where gonna hook up the wideband o2 sensor in the front this Saturday and run the wideband through their. I'm using 30% percent more fuel then I should be LOL. The Black bumper is the ORIGINAL BUMPER. The last one I had on was the tacky aftermarket but I took it off and put the black one on. Once i can find the side panels to the GST I will get her painted and have her in one original color.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back