The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Street Build 1G Build: Return of the DSMer!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When I drove the car home from the alignment shop I noticed my coolant cel was tripping and that worried me greatly. I hate having my car deficient in some way. My goal is to make the car as rock solid as possible and then I get this damn coolant cel (set at 220, I think). I got home and opened the hood to find everything extremely hot from the bare fp manifold. It's predictable that this would happen, but I never put much thought into it as I've been working on so many other projects with the car. I decided to order up a TPP manifold blanket and add some Water Wetter with distilled water as the base, rather than the 50/50 coolant mix.

DSC_0897.JPG
DSC_0898.JPG
DSC_0904.JPG
DSC_0907.JPG
DSC_0910.JPG

Unfortunately, the manifold and Water Wetter barely helped coolant temps at all. You'll notice from the pics that the j-pipe and lower intercooler pipe are extremely close the exhaust manifold and o2 housing. I couldn't stand it for one more second having my pipes sizzling hot, So I ordered up some reflective tape and placed it on the piping directly facing the heat source. I left the opposite side free of tape to hopefully dissipate heat at the same time. I don't know if that's the best way to do it but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. The TPP manifold blanket makes a huge difference in under-hood temps. I can actually touch the blanket while it's hot.
DSC_0899.JPG
DSC_0901.JPG
DSC_0902.JPG
DSC_0903.JPG
DSC_0911.JPG
DSC_0913.JPG

This is interesting. Ive always sworn by the copper plugs as well. Never had ignition problems on a dsm though.

I didn't either until I was running E85 @ 30+ psi.

I've said a million times, the Mishimoto slim fans and shroud setup suck ball sack. Ditch all that stuff.

That Spal fan might do the job alone, but two Spal fans will definitely do the job. Pair that Spal up with another and you'll be set. Just mount them to the radiator, no shroud. Done.

I'm currently running these on the Galant:
• 12" SPAL high performance puller fan (VA01-AP70/LL-36A)
• 13" SPAL slim pusher fan (VA13-AP9/C-3 5A)

If they can keep my junk cool, they will cool damn near anything.

You'll love the TPP blanket. That thing works awesome. Get some VHT Flameproof and coat the hot exhaust parts and blanket with it. You'd be surprised at the finish and overall outcome.

Hmm, I can't view the video at work, but what was the problem? I'll have upgraded wiring and relays.
I couldn't make it fit, it's pretty big. It does move a TON of air though, it's insane. I put it in my motorhome instead. :D

Here's a pic of the ford taurus/volvo fan sitting on a 1g radiator.

5ywxl4.jpg

Last edited:
I couldn't make it fit, it's pretty big. It does move a TON of air though, it's insane. I put it in my motorhome instead. :D
Hmm, I can't see why it wouldn't fit on my car. This thing feels like a monster so I have no doubt it would fix my cooling issues just by itself :)

I installed a 1g lower heat shield to help control radiant heat. As you can see from the pic of the bulging wideband connector, it was getting extremely hot in there during the Texas summer. I'm wondering if I should heat wrap the wideband wiring to protect it. I'm also wondering if there is a better way to rout it than off the radiator like that.

DSC_0929.JPG
DSC_0918.JPG

Amazing.. I was seriously thinking about getting some RPF1s, then we had a large local show (Street scene 2017 in Syracuse) and.... every. other. car. Had RPF1s on it... that kinda ruined it. Hundreds of cars at the show, not a single 1g. 2 2gs. but it WAS the same weekend as the SO.

For the wiring I actually just run my past the dipstick to the header panel without it touching the radiator

What do you mean by header panel? I know what you mean about the rpf1s. A lot of people do use them but not a lot of dsms and less 1gs. Plus, I doubt either of us will be taking our dsms to a lot of car shows (from the little I gather about you).

True story, I went to the car show, parked in the parking lot in my GSX and jumped in my friends drift 240sx (passengers got in for free!) typcal DSMer.. I didn't wanna pay to get in. LOL

The radiator support, I have hood shocks instead of the prop rod, so that hole where the prop rod would of gone in on the drivers side I use to zip tie down all my fan/WB wiring for right there, keeps it away from anything moving. I routed my MTX-L wiring so the extra sits in the space under the headlight and connects through, I'll take pictures for you when I get home

The big boy fans are in! I was getting overheating with the mishimoto/eBay combo that came with the car. The eBay one died (maybe because of the extreme heat from the turbo/manifold?) and all that was left was the 10" mishimoto. Wasn't working out very well. I did my homework and bought the best fans I thought I could fit.
Spal 30103202-flows 1870 cfm
Spal 30102029-flows 1451 cfm

Lets just say I didn't want my car to ever run hot again. I had to get upgraded, thick wiring for both fans and for the biggin it required a 60amp large fuse and 120a relay. Spal tries to charge you $175 for their HO harness for the biggin but I just made my own for about $20. Temps range from 190-196 and never budge from there.

DSC_0921.JPG
DSC_0922.JPG
DSC_0923.JPG
DSC_0924.JPG
DSC_0925.JPG
DSC_0926.JPG
DSC_0927.JPG

I also did some research on how to control the fans optimally. It's been a long road to this final solution for the fans. The car originally came with toggle switches in the cockpit where you had to manually turn them on and off. Ridiculous to me. I then wound up buying a temp switch and installed it into my thermostat housing for more accuracy than sticking it in the radiator. That was fine but I wanted optimum control over the fans. What better thing to worry about than when your stupid fans turn on? Trump, immigration, declining IQs, small or big 16g? I found a great solution thanks to some of the wisemen on this board. I tapped my fps white wire that terminates behind my clutch master reservoir and ran to both of my signal grounds (relay pin 86?). From that point, you can pretty much run the fans with all kinds of user-defined settings like as you'll see in the picture. I turn my fans off at WOT and turn them on and off and certain temperatures. Check it out. Very worthwhile. Make sure you have the very latest software AND FIRMWARE.

upload_2017-9-16_11-47-27.png

DSC_0951.JPG

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back