The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Optima batteries [Merged 10-6]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logic

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 11, 2002
Berkeley, California
Hi,

I've been doing a little battery research. I've settled on Optima, based on comments I've seen regarding them and the fact that they're a sealed setup. I'm now looking at the various versions of batteries that they produce, and I've noticed very little difference (from reading over their techinical specifications) between their various "colors" (red for engine use, blue for marine, yellow for deep cycle applications). For reference, here are links to the specs they publish for each major type of battery:

The "Red Top 34" engine starter battery:
http://www.optimabatteries.com/products/pdf/34.pdf

The "Blue Top 34" dual-terminal marine starter battery:
http://www.optimabatteries.com/products/pdf/34M.pdf

The "Yellow Top 34" dual-terminal deep cycle battery:
http://www.optimabatteries.com/products/pdf/D34.pdf

My question, then, is simple: what's the difference, besides packaging? The marine battery literature makes claims about not discharging as much over time and recharging faster, but that would seem to be about it between the red and blue (the yellow has a few obvious differences, such as resistance and power output). Am I misreading, or is there really very little real-world difference?

For the curious: the reason I'm asking is because I'd like to be able to run the blue-top to match the rest of the underhood setup (along with any advantages that might come from the discharging characteristics; it sounds like the perfect setup for a car that's stored over winter, for example). That's the kind of eraser-head riceboi I am. :)

(I was a little unsure of whether to post this in the Basic/Newbie forum, or in the 2.0 Turbo Performance forum. Mods, please feel free to move if you think this is too basic.)

You really feel strong about this battery... I think ive decided to go with the red top, heard a lot of good things now... I know you made a strong point about weight but now I am curious.... How much does the optima battery weigh? Im sure it aint 95lbs... :dsm:

Optima batteries do not weigh 95 lbs. Anyone that says they do is full of it. Just so we know the actual weight, I'll go out into my warehouse right now and I'll weigh a red top and a yellow top on one of my UPS scales. Be right back......

EDIT: OK, here's my results.

Red top = 40.4 lbs.
Yellow top = 45.2 lbs.

The red top that I weighed was a dual terminal and rated at 980CA, 750CCA.
The yellow top that I weighed was also a dual terminal and rated at 870CA, 650CCA.

c5chris said:
I thought these batteries were the no-maintenance kind. They are completely sealed and there is supposed to be no upkeep required.

I just like Optimas bacause they have a 3 year replacement guarantee. Costco sells them for $99 (Red Top) and thats the best price I had seen them going for.

Yes, I am well aware of that, I am talking about not letting it sit there forever or letting the terminals corrode, etc.

99GST Racer..... That is awesome, thanks for the pics!

boostedinaz said:
Also I noticed that you live in NY. I live in AZ and AZ is VERY hot, as are alot of other parts of the country. Out here your Hand of God super light Del Slow battery would last a year, if that, and need to be replaced by another failed attempt at longevity.

ROFL

Exactly. Im suprised a guy from New York could think that way. We have hot summers too, and sometimes cold winters were it can get a few degrees below freezing. Those kind of extremes kill batteries pretty quickly and I recommend them to my customers who tell me how their stock batters last like a year or two, three max, before popping. I've had my yellow top for five years now too. I don't even know how old my red top is because I got it used.

SoonToBeDSM06 said:
The secret service must make some kind of special bullet proof shield for it then. ROFL Otherwise that is awesome

Their vehicles are heavily armored, yes.

i will be getting an optima too...

but on a side note:

my car is a 98 eurospec.. its still on its first original mitsubishi battery!

i store the car in winter,the garage isnt heated,no i dont unplug it over the winter,
i have never charged this battery..

but im gonna get a redtop anyways caus a friend has a hookup to get them cheap

ROFL

99gst_racer said:
Red top = 40.4 lbs.
Yellow top = 45.2 lbs.

The red top that I weighed was a dual terminal and rated at 980CA, 750CCA.
The yellow top that I weighed was also a dual terminal and rated at 870CA, 650CCA.
I trust you on the weights, but wanted to add that my old Red Top Optima weighed 24#. Top post only type. I believe it was either a 650CA or 800CA. Used it for 5 years until I totalled the car. Not bad for Arizona. Average batteries last 2-3 years here.

99gst_racer, do they still make the smaller sized ones?

Mirage1 said:
I trust you on the weights, but wanted to add that my old Red Top Optima weighed 24#. Top post only type. I believe it was either a 650CA or 800CA. Used it for 5 years until I totalled the car. Not bad for Arizona. Average batteries last 2-3 years here.

99gst_racer, do they still make the smaller sized ones?
Indeed, they still make smaller batteries. I actually keep a pallet of the smaller Red top's in stock. They are rated at 910 cranking and 720 CC and I just weighed one in at 34.2 lbs.

Man, I didn't even want to have to post in this thread, but looks like I'm gonna have to.

Ive been using the Optima red top battery w/ dual posts for the last 3 years. Its the larger red top battery, It barely fits in my battery box. It's rated at 800cca and 980ca. Through the past 3 years it's been in a Pontiac grand am w/ a huge system driven and beaten on daily. The system was very loud, about 153db. Then that car was in a front end collision which basically tore the battery up pretty good. Its got tears and scrapes all over it, and it doesn't look good at all, but it still worked. Then the battery sat on a concrete floor for about 2 months and never drained power or went dead. Then the battery was put into a 1987 GMC S15 pickup truck which had the same auidio system in it, transfered from the GA. That truck finally just died of old age about 6 months later. Then again, the battery sat on a concrete floor for over 3 months during buildup of my DSM, and never went dead or lost power. The battery is now currently in my DSM and has been going strong since day 1. I've had countless electrical problems in my DSM, (ask 99gst_racer), he knows. This includes 2 dead alternators, a blown alternator fuse, and once my alternator belt slipped off, and left me w/ no power. Every time, I had enough power in the Optima that I could easily make it home, BTW, most times, I was not close to home. Ive never had to get a jump, or a tow home b/c my battery failed too. My Optima battery out performed any other standard battery that would have died sooner, or went dead sitting on a concrete floor for a total of over 5 months.

At work, I have a high tech battery tester, and about a week ago, I decided to test my Optima to see what its output is daily. I set up the machine, and took the battery out while I tested it, it was an option on the machine if the battery is in the vehicle or out of vehicle. Once again, my Optima is rated at 800cca and 980ca. When I tested mine, it rated 897cca and 1047ca. Both were above its rated outputs. Now I've put this battery through some hell the past 3 years, and this to me, was very impressive. Because of these findings, I'm going to continue to use my Optima everyday, and when it finally does die, I'm going to replace it w/ the exact same one. Maybe its just me, but I've never ever had an issue w/ my Optima battery.

I thought optima batterys had a long warranty. I believe my optima came with a 7 year warranty. I dont plan on having my car that long nor do I expect my car to live that long.

My previous battery was a POS everstart from walmart. At the time I didnt have the money for a better battery so I forked over the $40. Everstart batterys come with a 6 month warranty but I was never able to get one to last that long. I ended up getting stuck in a viscious cycle of replacing my battery every 3-6 months under warranty. I think I went through a total of 5 batterys before I decided to get the optima.

Just something to think about...

Ok I have done some searching and found some great posts about this battery.
I was actually very impressed about the positive responses.

Heres the thing, alot of you are running this battery but I could not find
any info on the optima website about a battery for the 95 GSX.
Actually said the was no battery for that specific car.
I am leaning toward the red top but would also take a Yellow.

What battery(specific part# if possible) would work in my GSX?

Thanks for the help

43/78-OY Is the Optima Yellow top. If you have aftermarket amplifiers and are worried about power go for the Yellow top - it's made for deep cycle power drainage. If you're using just a head unit to power speakers to just have a small subwoofer amp, and you don't sit longer than 10 mins listening to the radio at high volume without the engine running, just get a Red top. I had power issues with a standard battery, 375W power inverter, 200W amp, and 400W amp so I just went for the Yellow top and haven't ever had a problem since. Well, I don't use the power inverter with the stereo cranked anymore either :).

If you get the red top, the part # is 75/35-925. I have one, and i highly recommend it! :thumb:

How long do these batteries last? And what makes them better than the standard batteries that Wal-Mart / Autozone sells?

I've noticed that they cost considerably more.

Maintenance free and much more durable than standard batteries, especially when deep cycle draining the battery - running lights/stereo with the engine off. They can be mounted in any position (side, upside down) and make great trunk batteries for relocation. I'll never own a car without one.

I've had a yellow top for a year and a half, have drained it at least 50 times to near nothing, and it's still going strong. I'm sure there are plenty of people that have had them for 3-5 years without a problem.

I have been running red tops for a long time. Their warranty is 3 year replacement and you can get them at Costco cheap.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back